Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bikerdaryl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2011-05-24

Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions Empty
PostSubject: Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions   Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 4:25 pm

I always worry that there are not enough people seeing me on my motorcycles and so I always love to add more lights to my bikes to make me better seen.

One of the things I have done to my Silverwing and Reflex is convert the red side reflectors into a run/turn light and reflector.

I have found some 2 1/8 round LED reflectors that work great for giving you an additional turn signal on the rear of the bike that points off to each side.

Nice thing that I did was to make it alternate with the rear amber signal so it turns off when the amber lights up.

You also can replace the rectangular reflector with a similar LED version so you can get an additional rear brake light using a similar process.

Using Dennis's connector, this project took about an hour and is completely reversible.

To make the red side LED reflector light up while running but off when the signal is activated, here is a rough outline of what to do...

(Best way to do this project is center stand the bike and engage parking brake.)

1. Buy Dennis's connector....(You can do other methods but best if you want to rewire, reroute or restore what you did.)
2. Remove existing reflectors and license plate from motorcycle.
3. Drill a hole through the middle of the license plate fender area about 1/2 inch wide.
4. Screw in LED reflector replacements and route cable behind metal bar and down through the middle of license frame holder and eventually through the drilled hole.
5. Install Dennis's connector per instructions.
6. Connect left LED reflector Positive to Running power.
7. Connect Left LED reflector Ground to Left Turn signal wire.

(Yep, that is what I said! When the Left Turn signal wire is not getting power, it is actually a good ground for your LED light. Many cars use the same principle to wire their front turn signals to alternate lights.)

8. Connect right reflector Positive to Running power.
9. Connect right LED reflector Ground to right Turn signal wire.
10. Test.. Make sure all lights work while not using the turn signal and when the turn signal is active.
11. Close access panel.
12. Close seat
13. Reattach License plate and zip tie wires as needed to hide as much as possible.(BTW, I paint the red wire from the LED reflector black so it is not so apparent.)
14. Test again.. (Who knows, something could have come loose.)

This mod should be legal in all 50 states, since the LED replacement reflector still has non-active reflective qualities and meets the lighting requirements as far as I can find out.

Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions   Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 5:01 pm

Bikerdaryl, You are the man!! cheers

Sounds like you did a bit change-in things around. When you get a chance, take a video of what your new lights set up looks like. I sure would like to see it in action. sunny
Back to top Go down
Acquit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Acquit

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions   Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 6:01 pm

DennisB wrote:
Bikerdaryl, ...
When you get a chance, take a video of what your new lights set up looks like. I sure would like to see it in action. sunny

Me too! (Nice name btw)

Daryl
Back to top Go down
bikerdaryl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions   Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 5:55 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drRKxq08JCU
Is the link to a video I made of the reflector modification.

The video does not show it, but when it is not blinking opposite the amber turn signal, it stays on constantly as a running light.

Last edited by bikerdaryl on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions   Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 10:30 am

Bikerdaryl ... love the upgrade. Well done!!!

I even have the very same license plate holder set-up. Can you give us a parts breakdown and where you bought them?

Also, could the front amber reflectors be replaced with the same set-up?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
bikerdaryl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Parts list and comments on front Reflector   Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 10:55 am

sonuvabug wrote:
Bikerdaryl ... love the upgrade. Well done!!!

I even have the very same license plate holder set-up. Can you give us a parts breakdown and where you bought them?

Also, could the front amber reflectors be replaced with the same set-up?

Thanks.
Replacing the front reflectors will be one of the next things I do. The principle is the same as the rear but care must be given to allow enough wire to them to allow full movement of the forks. I would recommend doing the install with the front tire completely off the ground.

Also you must use amber lights. It is illegal to use red on the front of the bike per almost all state and federal lighting laws.

The biggest pain of doing the front is of course all the plastic to get to the right wires and splicing into it.

I will let Dennis chime in, but I do not think he has a similar plug n play for the front like his perfect connector. If he does I would recommend buying it.

Parts list:
Big Bike Parts 2 1/8 round led reflector kit $45
Posi-lock connectors(4) $4.00
Dennis's perfect connector $32
Total plus shipping $81
Parts list
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions   Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replaced Rear reflectors with LED versions
Page 1 of 1