Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 10:31 am

» New to Me Swing
Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Throttle Hand

Go down 
+5
john grinsel
kbcmdba
honda_silver
dspevack
Acquit
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Acquit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Acquit

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Throttle Hand Empty
PostSubject: Throttle Hand   Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 12:52 am

Any suggestions for discomfort holding the throttle open?

I wonder if I'm holding on too tight - I'm still quite new to riding again and do find myself tensing my arms/shoulders and feet at times - or does this discomfort go away with more time in the saddle?

Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Throttle Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Hand   Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 1:30 am

There are a number of crampbuster type items you can add, which can do anything from allow you to relax your grip, to a full on cruise control.

Search:
cramp
cruise

on this board.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Throttle Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Hand   Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 2:07 am

Acquit wrote:
Any suggestions for discomfort holding the throttle open?
https://www.silverwing600.com/t1771-problem-or-normal-characteristic-of-a-silverwing#14985

Acquit wrote:
I wonder if I'm holding on too tight - I'm still quite new to riding again and do find myself tensing my arms/shoulders and feet at times - or does this discomfort go away with more time in the saddle?
The Wrist-Rest helped me (taught me) to relax my grip. I have two Wrist-Rest ... one for each side. I ride with both of the Wrist-Rest pivoted toward the inside for ~95% of the time. With the Wrist-Rest pivoted inwards, I ride with a more relaxed and open grip.

What position do you have the buttrest in?? Do you feel the buttrest against your butt?
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

Throttle Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Hand   Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 2:39 am

As mentioned above, there are several different ways to deal with that. I personally prefer a $20ish throttle lock. Others prefer the cramp buster and the wrist wrest. The throttle lock installs in seconds and is very easy to manipulate but you should give yourself time to get used to it. It's a little strange to want to slow down and find that the throttle is already at rest and reactively, power up rather than down. The throttle lock is very easy to engage and disengage.

KB
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Throttle Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Hand   Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 7:05 am

Holding on too hard with hands----the sign is pain between shoulder blades. NEP throttle stop (Aerostich still has) @ $20 can provide on hand relief....on straight runs.

With today's idiots in cars out there you can get a little tense, regardless of experience level.

Pushing into back stop= good sign. Feet and legs important part of riding right. Push right bike goes right.

Probably best way to get/be in shape for riding is to ride a lot----use scooter for everything. Then confronted with 500 mile days, they become non-killers.

I think SilverWing is comfortable for sitting, biggest bother is the wind buffeting.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Throttle Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Hand   Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 9:19 am

I posted elsewhere about my Cramp Buster. Got mine on Amazon but local shops carry it as well for $1 more. I would suggest the wider but shorter one so you can use different parts of your hand. Someone also suggested the Wrist Rest which looks tempting for when I lose my cramp buster.

http://www.hognutz.com/grips-throttle/188/

I find my hand cramps when I tense up and grip the throttle too tight, often when in terror. I also noticed that when I do that the bike is much harder to turn in curves, increasing the terror. Don't you love that adrenaline rush? Well I started doing relaxation exercise when I become aware that I am tensing. It gives me better control of the bike, allows me to relax my grip, lets me shift my grip on the throttle to different positions and makes the ride much more enjoyable.

With the Cramp Buster you have to be sure not to position it too high or it can interfere with braking or make you arch your hand. Your hand should start flat on the handle when not applying throttle. Also, for long runs on the highway my hand is bent back quite a bit which can also get tiring on the wrist. I end up shifting my hand and using a combination of grip and light pressure on the cramp buster on the highway. On slow roads I might open my hand and just use the palm heel pressing forward to accelerate (like your foot on a car gas pedal).

Oh, Much of the time once I reach cruising speed I find the Cramp Buster is comfortably level - you don't need as much throttle to just cruise once you reach speed (30-45 mph). Going over road bumps I "float" my hand on the handlebars while aware of the Cramp Buster position which prevents surging due to throttle twist over bumps.

Phew!

So... shift your hand around a little and try to relax.
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
Acquit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Acquit

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Throttle Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Hand   Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 9:45 am

Ishkatan wrote:
I posted elsewhere about my Cramp Buster. Got mine on Amazon but local shops carry it as well for $1 more. I would suggest the wider but shorter one so you can use different parts of your hand. Someone also suggested the Wrist Rest which looks tempting for when I lose my cramp buster.

I put in an order for this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380330087849&category=159048&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

very cheap at $3.59 (+ $3 S&H) - thank you for the suggestions.
Back to top Go down
the7smiths
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
the7smiths

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Throttle Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Hand   Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 10:55 am

Anxious to try this. Thanks for sharing these cool tools.
Back to top Go down
http://www.awiseplan.com

Throttle Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Hand   Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 11:16 am

I think I had the same issue as you when I first got my scoot. It felt like I was getting arthritis in my right hand.

First I tried a "cramp buster" type solution and I hated it. It either interfered with my hand when the throttle was all the way off or it wasn't in the right position when I was at speed. I could never get it adjusted to where it wouldn't get in the way. So I trashed it.

Then I got a throttle lock. It definitely sacrifices safety for comfort, so I'll probably catch some hell for it, but it works. The throttle basically works like a boat throttle now. You twist to increase throttle, you twist back to decrease throttle. The throttle stays where you put it.

I don't like to call it "cruise control" because it doesn't adjust your speed at all, and if there are even slight hills you'll find your speed changing all over the place. You just don't have to hold the pressure against the spring every moment you are moving forward.

With that and grip puppies, the pain is gone. I've ridden 2000 miles in the last couple of weeks and I have no pain at all.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Throttle Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Hand   Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 11:23 am

I had a NEP throttle lock on my SWing for those long rides. Sure helped to just let my hand and right arm rest once in a while.
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Throttle Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Hand   Throttle Hand I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 11:35 am

I have used cramp buster like devices in the past and always felt they compromised my control of the bike. I took Bill's suggestion and bought the Wrist Rests (also one for each grip) and find them an elegant solution. I have full control and relief from "throttle hand" as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Throttle Hand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttle Hand   Throttle Hand I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Throttle Hand
Page 1 of 1