Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Today at 9:04 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Towing-Listening to Music etc

Go down 
+10
john grinsel
jdeereanton
alejom
model28a
lcseds
aidanpryde18
honda_silver
dspevack
Waspie
Old Limey
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Towing-Listening to Music etc Empty
PostSubject: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 10:56 am

I've been following some topics on both of these things recentley.2 Points.
If we are talking about riding scooters why, would anyone want to tow
something with a scooter. Surely this destroys the purpose of riding on
two wheels. If you want top tow something get a pickup truck! Next listening
to anythingh whilst riding isn't the idea to be free on the road and enjoy
riding, the sound of the engine the sense of being totally free from
modern day life. This is what two wheel riding has always meant to me.
Iam the only one that feels this way? if so i guess iam a dinosaur then
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 11:57 am

Hi fellow dinosaur!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 12:28 pm

1. To ride, but bring more stuff.
2. To make something enjoyable even more enjoyable.

Hope I helped answer your questions.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 12:29 pm

C'mon girl get on the floor, Everybody do the din-o-saur!

But seriously, Old Limey...

"The purpose of riding on two wheels" Varies.

I ride on two wheels cause I feel very unsafe on one wheel.

The desire to go camping or golfing for instance, does not negate enjoying the feeling of being on the bike.
You need to take your gear or golf clubs with you, you add a trailer.
I've seen people trailer a jet ski too.

Has it occurred to you some people just like to save gas, and even a bike with a trailer can eat less gas than a pickup?

Have you ever seen people listen to motivational audio or self help guides in a car? Of course. because busy people need to use the time they have as effectively as possible. Why not do the same on a bike?

Also, when you are on a long drive in your car, doesn't the motor become just background noise? Even in a loud car, bike, or airplane, monotonous noise can become background noise and you can fall asleep. Music can keep your attention, and therefore keep you AWAKE.

Don't tell me you shouldn't ride when you are tired. We all know that.
That's great when your home contemplating going out.
Not when you are 50 miles from home and need to get there.
Then you do what you gotta do, regardless of the intelligence of it.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Dspevac.
You either understand my points ,or,you don't.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 1:25 pm

Ooohhhhhh.....

Your one of "those" guys..... No

Well....I'll be sure and stay off your lawn.

Last edited by dspevack on Fri May 20, 2011 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Old Limey wrote:
Dspevac.
You either understand my points ,or,you don't.

I understood Dan's points.
Back to top Go down
aidanpryde18
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 1:51 pm

I see both sides to this. I see some guys some times and I think, if you hate all of the aspects of riding so much, like huge windshield fairings and blaring speakers, why not just get a convertible.

But I know that no matter what anyone is doing, we all want a measure of comfort.

The trailer part I disagree with though. My bike is everything to me. It's my daily commuter, my weekend toy and my long distance tourer.

If I had the space to store it, I would totally have a trailer. The ability to run to lowes and grab a couple of bags of mulch or some 2x4's would be awesome.

In the end though, the most important thing is to just ride your ride and let others ride theirs. Unless they are weaving into your lane, let 'em go.
Back to top Go down
lcseds
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2011-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 2:06 pm

Trailer? I love to motorcycle camp. A small trailer would allow me to have my wife on the back yet have room for camp gear. I can get it all on the bike with no passenger, but no way if she were to come along.
Music? Anything over 25 causes a great deal of wind noise for me. I couldn't hear the engine anyway. So I use earplugs, which happen to be earbuds, and it cancels a great deal of noise and adds music. Perfect. If I "listened to the engine", I'd be deaf.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 3:32 pm

I wish I could find the rulebook with a list of how to enjoy my scooter. I would hate to find out I was having fun doing something I don't enjoy. bom
Back to top Go down
alejom
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alejom

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2011 3:55 pm

I'd love to have one of those one-wheel trailers to carry a tent for two and some camping gear, but I think I will wait until I ride something bigger, at least 1200cc.

Just like Aidanpride, my SW is my daily drive, rain, shine or snow; the enjoyment of two wheels changes accordingly to the day. Swinging in traffic on a weekday is different from the open road feeling of the weekend, but is always pleasurable.

Usually, I count my time at work as "hours left until riding home" Smile
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 5:51 am

Old Limey wrote:
I've been following some topics on both of these things recentley.

2 Points:

1 - If we are talking about riding scooters why, would anyone want to tow something with a scooter. Surely this destroys the purpose of riding on two wheels. If you want to tow something get a pickup truck!

2 - Next listening to anything whilst riding isn't the idea to be free on the road and enjoy riding, the sound of the engine the sense of being totally free from modern day life.

This is what two wheel riding has always meant to me. Am I the only one that feels this way? If so I guess I am a dinosaur then.

Old Limey,

I took a little liberty with your original post as I quoted you. I think the key to your post is the section I highlighted. Fortunately with free-will riding means some of the things you mentioned as well as other things to me.

I don't have a trailer, but have considered one. Bike trips I've planned are as many as 7,000 miles. The additional capacity would be usefull. By the way the anti trailer argument could also be used against top boxes and other forms of additional storage. Shocked Here in the great wide open spaces of this country a trailer can be a great help and doesn't reduce the experience, but can enhance the journey - it's all about an open mind on the open road.

Regarding listening to music or other things while travelling. My wife and I use a bike to bike communication system. I enjoy hearing her voice while I ride. I enjoy that much more than the droning of the engine or the wind noise. Not that I can't hear those things, just that they don't necessarily provide a very relaxing or soothing background to an 8 - 11 hour day of riding.

I am not saying your desire or preferrence is wrong - it is after all yours - enjoy it. I also understand dspevack's points. If riding is all about freedom - why you trying to shackle me with your ideas?
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 7:31 am

i never expected a good response,especially from USA.
Consider this, is a two wheel vehicle suitable for towing ? What does Mr Honda say? The machine is set up for two people riding. The suspension ,brakes,tyre pressures all geared up for no more than two people. In an emergency will the brakes cope with the extra weight.
The drive is with a belt how does this cope with the extra strain of pulling a trailer. My point was about listening to radio-Music etc not communication between rider and pillion. Whatever my opinion, it is just that ,my opinion. Agree or disagree you will still do your own thing.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 8:08 am

Old Limey wrote:

Thank you, good to know your biases and prejudices up front. Just the USA or do our neighbors up north fall short as well?
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 10:50 am

Dale,
Its just more of his
"I can't see why anybody would want to do it any way but my way." attitude.
The only "good response" is one that agrees with him.
Old Limey: Your problem isn't your opinion.
Its your self-righteous, narrow-minded attitude in expressing it.

I want ringside seats to an arguement between him and Grinsel.
Towing-Listening to Music etc Popcorn
Towing-Listening to Music etc Trainwreck
Dan
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 11:45 am

A Couple of Cents on this one----I have about 100,000 miles of trailer behind bike experience----From Yamaha MJ-2 55cc pullling my racing Tohatsu on Okinawa(1962)...and real slow, but worked except downhill with hitch center above rear axle height. To Kawasaki Voyager (real barge but superior to GoldWings and no valve set) with this bike had 3 different camping trailers...experience- drop a trailer wheel off the pavement and you get more than thrill. Pulled Kwic Kamp (Pa) to Alaska and back with CB750 Nighthawk---great combo even in mud, but extra care is needed. Bought a new camping tent trailer in IN to be pulled by my Kawasaki Concours-----SO SCARY I SOLD TRAILER AFTER 20 MILES! Hitch Doc hitch.

BUT I would consider trying now India made copy of PAV trailer---with suit able hitch or Unigo go---both 1 wheel and I think proven.

A 2 wheeled trailer transfers forces to bike thru hitch---push, pull, twist, roll, side forces-----not the best feeling especially when slippery.

Listening to music with buds in ear==no thank you. I prefer to pay attention to what is going around me. I had one bike with radio--Voyager, worked ok with foam ear plugs and volume turned up-----controls a distraction......and volume turned up you are broadcasting to people in town, that you aren't too bright.

I find bikes need to be ridden in attack mode----especially in US with so many distracted drivers----letting guard down can get you killled. 100% attention required.

Next scooter---maybe unigo or pav----better than piling junk on bike.
Scooter rubber band drive may not handle it---I know Suzuki 650 Burgman has different belt and hitches are available.....but gas tank too small for me.

Last---speed limits for trailers pulled by solo bikes---I think 50mph or 80 kph plenty---Germany used to have 60kph but I am not sure now what EU rules are. In US I have seen more than one GoldWing with big mama on back and trailer in the weeks---rear tire being worked awful hard.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
alejom
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alejom

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 12:42 pm

I think we need to make one thing clear here, specially to Old Limey.

(and just so you don't think I'm biased towards the US, I will reply as a non-american, an immigrant)

This is a great forum; so far, I have not encountered anyone who's opinions do not respect others, and I'd like to think you are not one of them. From the beginning, your post sounded a bit high in tone, basically, a rant about why someone would like to do something you do not agree with.

It would have been more polite and respectful to say something like "Hey guys, do you really think it is a good idea to tow a trailer or listen to music while riding? I think I would not do it because...." and just express your point of view without violently attack others and make it sound like they are out of their minds for it.

People in the US are very independent, individualistic and like to do their things; I know because it has been a different culture for me since I arrived, but that does not mean they do everything wrong, I think we all do something wrong here and there.

Honda says "Do not tow"... fine, but also, does every automobile maker that sells cars in the US (for hatchbacks, sedans, combi, etc) but you guys in britain, tow a caravan with a Peugeot, and it is fine... I think it all depends on how you want to use your vehicle.

I would suggest we close this thread and put the discussion to bed.
Back to top Go down
lcseds
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2011-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Old Limey, why did you bother to even post? You were looking for opinions, you got some, and then belittled those. Unless that was your intent....
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 9:45 am

Old Limey wrote:
Consider this, is a two wheel vehicle suitable for towing ? What does Mr Honda say? The machine is set up for two people riding. The suspension ,brakes,tyre pressures all geared up for no more than two people. In an emergency will the brakes cope with the extra weight.
The drive is with a belt how does this cope with the extra strain of pulling a trailer. My point was about listening to radio-Music etc not communication between rider and pillion. Whatever my opinion, it is just that ,my opinion. Agree or disagree you will still do your own thing.

You realize of course that your in that category now of "opinionated asshole" that everyone is going to react against right?

I don't really think that John is aware of the condescending nature of his statements, when he makes them, you however elected to bring cultural bigotry into it. Have a nice day! Thats an purely American saying right there. :flower:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 7:48 pm

I actually wasn't offended at all. I catch hell from so many people for so many reasons, wearing half helmets, fingerless gloves, whatever.

Number one being that I bought a scooter instead of a "real" motorcycle.

Everyone that rides a Silver Wing is probably used to being judged by people who have no idea what they're talking about.

We just get used to it. We do our own thing, and don't care what clueless people say.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 5:19 am

Tagg wrote:
Old Limey wrote:

You realize of course that your in that category now of "opinionated asshole" that everyone is going to react against right?

Tagg, I think you may have read that all wrong! As a fellow Brit, (to Old Limey obviously) Smile I can't see that he has voiced anything other than his own opinion!! It's a free world, we are all entitled to our opinions. It isn't compulsory to agree, if we did it would make for a boring existence.

As I said, I'm a dinosaur, but I don't get wound up by others who do use MP3 players and the like, oh yes - and trailers. That's just me.

Sorry in advance if I offend anyone - not intended.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 5:32 am

In the UK it was illegal for motorcycles to pull trailers until the late 1980's. Apart from trike, sidecar, and Gold Wing riders, you'll hardly ever see one being pulled along the UK's roads, apart from on Bank Holiday weekends when the above mentioned categories hold big rallies and camping weekends.

I can see the advantage of a trailer if you like a bit of luxury while you're camping, and if you're riding with a passenger it's a lot less trouble than turning your scoot into a packhorse, hanging bits off it everywhere , and then struggling to get it on and off the main stand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 1:50 pm

What's the UK situation on headphones?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 2:33 pm

DuggleBogey wrote:
What's the UK situation on headphones?

Headphones would translate to 'speakers' here in the UK, and there are plenty of Bluetooth intercom systems available that provide the rider to passenger, cell/mobile phone use, sat nav instructions, and music through two helmet mounted speakers. Wearing earplug speakers connected to an iPod seems to be popular too.

Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 5:02 pm

The sound of the Engine and be free of Modern Life. Something wrong there. I think I will sell my Swing and buy a Horse and a Guitar so I could tow my Trailer and listen to my self sing Wait my Name is Tony not Gene or Roy forget it I will keep the Swing and turn the music down. (You know I had to get in on it)
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 6:03 pm

tonylumps wrote:
I think I will sell my Swing and buy a Horse and a Guitar so I could tow my Trailer and listen to my self sing. Wait...my name is Tony, not Gene or Roy.

Roy did play his guitar and sing while on a horse, but to be fair, the horse did come with both cruise control and autostabilzation.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Now Dan,

Don't forget about the "Slow Trail Blazing" button on Trigger. That's the button that you push when a person just wants to wonder aimlessly and play guitar and sing without giving a crap where the hell you are going. Had one of those on my Silverwing. Suspect
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 6:28 pm

Yeah but trigger and champ never pulled a wagon or did they
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 6:33 pm

I just don't know but they sure pulled Gene's and Roy's butts out of the fire a bunch of times. cheers
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 6:41 pm

Im back in the saddle again
Attachments
Towing-Listening to Music etc AttachmentDSC00414.JPG
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(146 Kb) Downloaded 23 times
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 6:43 pm

DennisB wrote:
Now Dan,

Don't forget about the "Slow Trail Blazing" button on Trigger. That's the button that you push when a person just wants to wonder aimlessly and play guitar and sing without giving a crap where the hell you are going. Had one of those on my Silverwing. Suspect

Hmmm...Trigger must have been a Florida horse.

Bumba deeda bumba deeda...Happy trails to you guitarist

Hey Tony,
Wouldn't it be cool to be able to say you are the only person in the world to do the Saddlesore 1000 in a real saddle?
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 4:35 am

I bought that saddle back in 1975 Never knowing it was to small for me. Did a 3 day Organized Ride boy I wish they had an Airhawk seat then
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Towing-Listening to Music etc   Towing-Listening to Music etc I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Towing-Listening to Music etc
Page 1 of 1