Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Drive belt tension? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 6:01 pm

» New to Me Swing
Drive belt tension? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Drive belt tension? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Drive belt tension? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Drive belt tension? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Drive belt tension? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Drive belt tension? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Drive belt tension? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Drive belt tension? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Drive belt tension? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Drive belt tension?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2011-03-23

Drive belt tension? Empty
PostSubject: Drive belt tension?   Drive belt tension? I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 3:26 am

I popped a new drive belt on last week with help from the picwalkthru here. An easy enough job and I cleaned all the gubbins inside at the same time and removed 8 years of dust and fluff Smile

When I reinstalled the belt, I noticed that the new belt flapped around a bit when revving the engine up and down, not a clean, flat slide up and down the pulleys as I expect from this sort of drive, but one edge/side of the belt was always slightly higher than the other until a constant speed was held when the belt then ran flat and true. Is this normal?

Like a fool, I had not noticed what was happening with the old belt!
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt tension?   Drive belt tension? I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 8:18 am

Hi Steve, When you got the bike back on the road, how did it feel to you? Better, I hope.
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt tension?   Drive belt tension? I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 11:16 am

bigbird wrote:
steveR wrote:

When I reinstalled the belt, I noticed that the new belt flapped around a bit when revving the engine up and down, not a clean, flat slide up and down the pulleys as I expect from this sort of drive, but one edge/side of the belt was always slightly higher than the other until a constant speed was held when the belt then ran flat and true. Is this normal?

Perfectly normal. The belt adjusts its tension automatically, based on its position on the front and rear sheaves.

Cheers. I was surprised that the belt did not stay flat as the 2 pulleys opened and closed in synch. This is what happens with other belt and pulley systems I have seen and used, hence my concern!
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt tension?   Drive belt tension? I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 12:59 pm

You might have noticed wear marks on the aluminum casing at the center of the top and bottom. This is from the belt rubbing from this movement. It is also the source of the rumble many riders hear/feel upon take-off.

A J Costa variator seems to stop this. Lighter variator weights would probably also help quiet the noise at take-off.

As it stands, I would not worry about it, even if you leave it stock. These machines go 100,000 miles without wearing out the casing, and 16,000 miles on the belt.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt tension?   Drive belt tension? I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 3:56 pm

Assuming that you did install the new belt with the arrows facing forward, and you did insure that the belt was not jammed in the variator sheave when you torqued the bolt to the correct reading, I'd say that the flapping noise is normal.
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt tension?   Drive belt tension? I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 4:06 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Assuming that you did install the new belt with the arrows facing forward, and you did insure that the belt was not jammed in the variator sheave when you torqued the bolt to the correct reading, I'd say that the flapping noise is normal.

Hopefully all were correct!! I actually double checked the belt direction, just in case....
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt tension?   Drive belt tension? I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 4:09 pm

DennisB wrote:
Hi Steve, When you got the bike back on the road, how did it feel to you? Better, I hope.

Seemed fine Dennis, maybe a little more rumble than normal at first, but after a 30mile run tonight with a good mix of roads and speeds, I came back and am happy with the behaviour of the drive. Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drive belt tension?   Drive belt tension? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drive belt tension?
Page 1 of 1