Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Well SH*T!!

Go down 
+17
KurtPerthWA
Tamjay
"Hi Yo"
JeffR
SWing2010
robert
Dale
aidanpryde18
joncallihan
the7smiths
bigbird
Lab Rat
masscoot
lcseds
Waspie
DennisB
The Scootist
21 posters
AuthorMessage
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 12:08 pm

Well, yesterday on my way to work, some idiot in a cage tried to turn left in front of me while I was passing through the intersection. I can't imagine what the fool was thinking. Conditions were clear and dry and visibility was wide open. There were no other vehicles in the area. I was in the left lane and had the green light. He was stopped, heading the opposite direction and wating to turn left onto the freeway on ramp. I was so close I could look him in his eyes, but he still tried to scoot in front of me just as I entered the intersection. I squeezed the brakes as hard as I could and left skid makes right up to the point of impact with his front right bumper. When my bike met his car my bike stopped immediately, but I did not and was pitched through the left side of my windshild, onto the hood of his Toyota Highlander, and sommersaulted off onto the pavement. I was wearing all my gear and fortunately was able to walk away, but my bike appears to be a total loss. Every piece of plastic is smashed and I think the front forks and handle bars are bent. My knees took out the dash and when my bike came to rest with his front tire on top of it the whole right side was scratched and cracked.

What pissed me off even more is when his wife came to pick up their son to take him to school she never even asked me if I was ok. Her biggest concern was that her husband had an accident with her child in the car and she had to come pick him up. She never even considered the fact that he nearly killed someones father, husband, and uncle. Amazing!

I feel it a bit today. I have a few bumps and bruises, and a rather colorful hematoma on my right shin, but all things considered, I came out pretty well. I have felt more pain after a long weekend of yard work. But for now I do not have a bike and can only hope that his insurance company will step up and replace my bike without a protracted battle. However, if it takes a battle, then I am prepared to engage.

I am surprised and pleased at how well my gear protected me. I would strongly recommend that everyone suit up for every ride. Be safe out there.
DCC

Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 12:15 pm

Very Happy to hear your OK for the most part. The Bike can be replaced. GROWLER II is just around the corner for ya. sunny
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 12:19 pm

Dennis:
Thanks. And yes. When the tow truck driver and I dropped off the broken pieces at the dealer I noticed that they have a 2009 Red wing on the floor along with a red NT700 and a black ST1300. I think I will be able to find a suitable replacement.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 2:14 pm

I reiterate Dennis's comments, glad your OK in what had the potential to be far worse.

Being kitted up proved worth while and is testimony to those who only pay lip service to getting dressed for riding.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
lcseds
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2011-02-15

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 3:30 pm

Glad you did as well as you did. If you don't mind, let us know what gear you had on and how the gear fared as well. Heal up and go shopping!
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 4:09 pm

I bet he said, "I didn't see you Embarassed " not what he thought (I can beat a scooter Twisted Evil ...besides I'm late for work Shocked ...my nagging wife made me take the kid to school causes she has a hair appointment Rolling Eyes ...screeech-bang... oh crap...now I am really going to be late Mad Mad )!

Glad you had the gear on and you walked away. No mention of a police report or a visit to the ER for a check, I hope both were just left out of your story. Take it easy the next couple of days!
Back to top Go down
Lab Rat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Lab Rat

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-03-15

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Holy cow, glad you're okay! You'll get something shiny and new out of this, 'stuff' can be replaced. Regarding the wife's attitude, people never cease to amaze me. Some in a good way, some not.

I would also like to hear a report on what gear you had on, what pieces took a hit, and how it all held up. Any damage to your helmet?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 6:16 pm

Glad you're OK. Deep bruising and other injuries often take many days to show up. Don't sign off on anything until you let at least a month pass and you get a complete physical, hopefully at his insurance company's expense.

Do you think a headlight modulator might have made any difference in his seeing you?
Back to top Go down
the7smiths
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
the7smiths

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 6:57 pm

So glad you're okay. Gear is so important! These type of comments remind me that I really am invisible and that people really can't see me coming – Never take for granted that people see motorcycles.

My daughter was hit back in 2007 while riding and after 70K+ in medical bills and months of recuperation we are happy to say she is doing well now. Nothing is scarier than hearing that someone you know has been hit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.awiseplan.com
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 7:12 pm

bigbird wrote:

Do you think a headlight modulator might have made any difference in his seeing you?

IMHO, NOPE.

Jon
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
aidanpryde18
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-04-29

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 9:56 pm

Whenever I see an invisible bike accident post, I like to post this youtube video on SMIDSY and hot to try and avoid it.

I'm sorry for your accident and I hope you get back on a bike soon. Glad you made it out largely unscathed.

SMIDSY
Back to top Go down
Dale
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 10:10 pm

Glad you're OK. I'm with those that say don't sign off on anything 'til you see the money and get checked out medically, if you haven't already. Have fun shopping for the new scoot!
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 10:32 pm

Glad to hear you did'nt get hurt any worse than you did. My question is with all the upgrades you've made to your Scoot, will the insurance cover them all? Ride Safe...Robert.
Back to top Go down
SWing2010
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-07-24

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Scootist Glad you are. OK   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 11:36 pm

Scootist,

I know exactly what you are saying, 4.29.2011 I was coming home from Long Beach via the 210 west. Traffic was what i would call 30-0 stop and go. A section opened up in the far left lane next to a double yellow line then the HOV lane.
At about 18:30pm a fellow rider who is riding the double yellow, moving in and of the HOV lane, has a car to his left decides he is either going through me, or over turns into my lane I was going about 30 mph and then traffic stops. I was headed for the back of an Audi TT, squeezed as hard as I could on the brakes layed the bike down and tumbled about 30 feet.
I was fully geared up, this saved a broken ankle, foot. knee. I am bruised and battered but none the worse for wear. I thank the God up above, for it could have been alot worse. I was at the hospital for 6 hrs with my truely wonderful wife and 11 year old daughter.
The bike was taken to the Yamaha dealer, and has been totaled. They will not spend $5000 to fix a $5500 bike (Blue Book). My TMAX is not even six months old and now it is gone. There is alot going through my mind.
Riding for is a special experience I enjoy the freedom, the open air, the sights the sounds. But I am questioning many things, are these experiences worth the risk. People out here are in just too much of F@#$ing hurry, lane splitting is dangerous as hell and is the cause of more accidents here in LA than anything else.
Do I change the type of riding I do?. The type of riding that seems to resonate with me is getting a small displacment dual sport. Maybe a Honda CRF 230L, and just riding the local side streets and heading for the hills and riding fireroads and dirt access roads of the San Gabriel mountains. I like to pull over, take pictures, I was a geology major (for 10 minutes) investigate roadcuts and rock types. Or do I take a step back.........................................
Scootist I am glad you are alright, take care and God Bless swing2010
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 11:39 pm

Glad you are ok other than bumps and bruises. And Terry (bigbird) makes a good point about waiting until you think nothing else will creep up on you. I see close calls sometimes and get pretty upset at the cages just don't seem to be paying attention. Do you think you will stay with a SWing or go with a NT700? Those 700's seem like nice bikes. It is the only motorcycle I would want right now.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Well SH*T!! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 2:30 am

Happy to hear that it was the bike that got towed away and not you. It probably won't help the idiot parents, but maybe the kid will learn a lesson from this.
Back to top Go down
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-06-10

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 3:01 am

So glad you're OK - that could have been a lot worse.

I have to strongly agree about the protective riding gear. When I came off my bike at 65mph on an English motorway, my gear certainly saved me from potential bad injuries - just suffered bumps and bruises. I was very lucky.

Laurie
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 6:36 am

Commiserations, and empathy...
Back to top Go down
spike
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-02-12

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 8:00 am

From my personal experience, insurnace companies do not like to pay. So personal injury, pain and suffering, and medical bills add up to what they don't pay for the damaged bike. It'a a bargining chip.

Glad your OK
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 8:19 am

DCC,

Glad to hear that you walked away! And there for the grace of God go I!!! Virtually the same thing happend to me recently (as I posted) but I seem to have gotten away lighter than you.

The fact that you were wearing the right gear meant that you survived - don't forget that ALL safety equipment should be retired after a major incident, like you've just had. Don't forget to get a complete quote from your dealers for full replacement set of riding gear on top of the value of your bike and accessories - he hit you - he pays. Get photos of every single mark on your body, I know the US is litigation bound but its gone the same way here in the UK and if you can't prove then they disallow it (thats the insurance companies way of calling you a liar!).
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 2:00 pm

Thank you to everyone for your messages. I do not have a headlight modulator, but I do have a super bright high beam and I always ride with it on.

As far as my gear goes, I wear a Scorpion EXO 1000 helmet. Not cheap but well worth it. My jacket is a FieldSheer. I'm not sure of the model, but is a sport bike type jacket with full body armour and the liner was in. I also was wearing a Carhart insulated vest under my jacket for extra padding, Gloves are Castle. Wind pants - Columbia. Boots - Merrill.

The pants and helmet will definitely need to be replaced. Jacket looks ok - dirty but no tears or scuffs.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Glad your OK. I agree with much of what everyone has posted on your accident. You can never be sure what the other driver will do. Bob takes the attitude that the cagers are out top kill you. Sad attitude but keeps you on your game. Hope your back out enjoying the ride soon.
Back to top Go down
Henry David
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-01-29

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 8:21 pm

I can only echo what others have said.
I am glad you are ok!

Another testimony to protective gear!
What kind of gear were you using?
It is always good to learn what works.

Take care,

Henry David

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Well SH*T!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well SH*T!!   Well SH*T!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down