Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Yesterday at 3:43 pm

» noise under load
MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

MPH to KPH Overlay

Go down 
+2
BlackFly
tarmacburner2
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 7:18 am

I'm off to France in June and as the 'boys in blue' over there are very happy to book foreign motorists for speeding I was wondering if anyone has or knows of a temporary overlay that I could stick on the front of my speedo so that the speedo was showing kph (kilometers per hour) instead of mph.
Any suggestions on how this could be acheived would be welcome. At the moment I have stuck small markers on but as there are different limits for wet and dry conditions the speedo is looking a bit cluttered.
Cheers,
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-20

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 7:35 am

Why do you don't install an additional speedometer?
Normaly a cheap and simple bicycle speedometer should work but take care for the indication range if you buy one
Back to top Go down

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 9:36 am

I'd like an overlay from MPH to "accurate" MPH.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 10:19 am

BlackFly wrote:
Why do you don't install an additional speedometer?
Normaly a cheap and simple bicycle speedometer should work but take care for the indication range if you buy one

I have a PDA with GPS built-in which I can use. I have an application that shows my speed. (Good sized font so easy to read). Only problem with this is I can't use it in the rain. (And did it rain the last time we were in France!). This was how I used TomTom before getting the Rider II which is waterproof.

Not sure if a bicycle speedometer would go up to 130 kph BlackFly, that is rather fast.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-20

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 10:30 am

You have to check the range...
Louis (a german biker shop) have a Sigma bicycle speedometer (Sigma BC1609) with glueable pulse emitter (suitable for our rims) that goes up to 199kph for only 25€. I think something like that will be the perfect solution (if you ride at daylight because this modell don't have a permanent backlight)...

Or do you want to buy another cell phone? I bought a Motorola Defy, thats a smartphone with Androis OS and GPS included and it is water proof (i think IP67 that means 10minutes in 1m deep Water Wink) and i will use this as navigationsystem on my silver Wing Smile
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 11:41 am

Looked at the Sigma. It doesn't say if the language can be changed from German to English. But at 25 euros it is probably worth trying one.
Cheers for the information BlackFly.
Ihr Englisch ist weit besser als mein Deutscher. (Your English is far better than my German).

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3797
Registration date : 2009-06-29

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 2:24 pm

I printed a list on my PC;
I did the KPM in the left column, MPH on the right.

I started with the main limits here - 30, 50, 70, 90, 110, 120, 130 then convered to MPH with this link:

http://www.campbellsci.ca/Conversions.html

Finally, I rounded up or down the MPH to make it easier - only a couple of MPH difference at most.

I have a plastic map-wallet which one wears on the sleeve so put the chart in there.

It didn't take long to remember the equivilants.

Incidentally, 50MPH is 80KPH so it's a sort-of centre point.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 4:31 pm

Hello MikeO,

Reasonably familiar with the conversions but having it there in front of you is much more instantaneous. The annoying thing is the actual speedo on the Silverwing, I just cannot read the kph markings well enough.
Will get one of these Sigma gadgets and see how we get on.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 4:35 pm

If you own a GPS, why not mount it in sight and in the options tell it to show KPH!!!

If not, then have a large font conversion next to the speedo. After a few miles of looking down you won't need the conversion crib!! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 5:32 pm

Hello Waspie,

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt Laughing

My TomTom Rider does give the speed but when you can't see the screen because of the glare (even though I have a glare stomper fitted to it) I am just looking for a better way of always being able to see my speed. I could mount a PDA with the large readout but as I have said in a previous post it isn't waterproof.
I have ordered a Sigma unit, not the one BlackFly mentions but the 509 one. all I wan't is to see kilometres per hour even when it is raining.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
rogerscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2011-01-05

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 4:33 am

Been there....had 2 identical pieces of 4mm perspex made with engravings, one in kph and one in mph and identical fixing holes. These were fixed above the speedo so well protected from the weather. Lit them with single Leds pointing into the sides, the engravings then show up.Used screen fixing screws to hold them to the black plastic. Have to see if I can find them and fix them to my new bike, as I'm going to Europe in June.
Back to top Go down
rogerscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 4:49 am

Found a picture...included in my album. I used a strip of LEDs above the edge of the perspex. Undo the two screws and the kph version fits in its place. Originally created by cutting some card to shape and marking it with mph. Then doing calculations and adjustments for kilometres
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 4:53 am

Rogerscoot,

That sounds like a very good idea. Interested to know how you fixed them. If you find them please take some pictures, off and on the scoot so I can see the fixings.

Whereabouts in Europe are you going?

Cheers,

Back to top Go down
rogerscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 5:00 am

I tried fitting my GPS higher up. Looked at fitting it to screen or above brake reservoirs,but my eyesight struggles with it being too close..

How about a head up display...no looking down... fit a small digital speedo up on your screen or mirrors. Look up digital speedos on google/ebay. theres even a german one built into a mirror
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 5:02 am

Why not go to Staples or somewhere and buy a packet of those small round adhesive labels in hi-viz colours. You could write 30, 50, or whatever on them and stick them on the speedo next to the kph markings.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 5:07 am

Rogerscoot,

Just been looking at the picture. Very good idea but the markings look inaccurate. Did you have a template for the numbers as they look very good indeed.
Off to have a play in the garage now and see if I can come up with something similar - now where did I put my Dremel?

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 5:13 am

Hello Meldrew,

Yes that is another possibility. I have some that are vinyl, about 6mm in diameter.

Hope Cumbria isn't too full of tourists at the moment. It was certainly busy at the Wasdale NT campsite on Friday.

Cheers,

Back to top Go down
rogerscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 5:14 am

tarmacburner2 wrote:
Rogerscoot,

Interested to know how you fixed them.

Whereabouts in Europe are you going?

On the picture you can see two screw heads. I used screen fixing screws with well nuts (usually available at most motorcycle dealers in a small bag of 10) to hold them to the plastic. The LEDs were connected to the side lights so always on.. They are sticky backed, so just remove the backing and stick to the bike's plastic moulding.

Going to France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland (see maxi-touring for more details). I use a small laminated credit card size with speed limits on for each country that I clip to my screen.
Back to top Go down
rogerscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 5:18 am

tarmacburner2 wrote:
Rogerscoot,

Just been looking at the picture. Very good idea but the markings look inaccurate. Did you have a template for the numbers as they look very good indeed.
Off to have a play in the garage now and see if I can come up with something similar - now where did I put my Dremel?

Cheers.
This was part of a bigger picture taken of the bike as a whole from one side of the bike and is why one side of the speedo looks out of sync.
I'm going for my breakfast and will then start throwing the garage around to find the parts
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 5:52 am

Rogerscoot,

What year was this scoot? My 08 doesn't have the two screws (or was that one of your mods?)

I have made a template and will probably make a vinyl sticker with the speeds marked with additional vinyl dots ( Meldrew's idea).

Brew time.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
rogerscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 2:16 pm

The two screws were part of my mod....I drilled through both pieces of perspex (mph and kph) at the same time to suit the screws (5mm from memory). Then I put the mph version up against the black plastic with the speeds lined up and drilled into that. Then I opened the holes up in the plastic (I think that was about 8 or 10mm) to suit the rubber nuts that are part of the screen fixing screw set. Fit the rubber nuts in the holes, fit the screws into the perspex and locate them into the rubber nuts and tighten. The nuts expand the rubber behind the plastic and hold it all together. Because there is quite a depth between the speedo marked plate and the black plastic you will notice that as your head is higher or lower, the speeds on your vinyl will be in and out of alignment. Hope you do it well.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 2:34 pm

I have done the layout for the vinyl. If I am really clever I will be able to print the details onto the vinyl and then cut it out using my plotter. Then before I stick it onto the scoot I will spray it with clear lacquer to make it waterproof, or cover it with a piece of clear sticky backed plastic (fablon). If it works okay then I will make it available to other members here. With the caveat that the markings may not be 100% accurate.

Been a bit busy this afternoon taking down a temporary carport (only been up six years!

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 8:22 am

Did it.

Printed the speed figures and the lines onto a piece of 7 year vinyl. Then cut out the 'arched' bit usingt my cutter/plotter so I can fix it to the dashboard above the speedo and between the two indicator lights. Before it gets stuck on I will cover it with clear fablon to stop rain from washing the ink off. I'll make a couple of spares in case it does go knackered.

Now working on an overlay for my mate's Honda CBF1000. Should be a lot easier as the speedo is circular.

Will post piccies when fitted.

Cheers,

Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 4:17 pm

This project is now redundant due to the fitting of a push bike computer. See my thread for that.

Cheers,

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MPH to KPH Overlay Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPH to KPH Overlay   MPH to KPH Overlay I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MPH to KPH Overlay
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: