Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hi everybodoy

Go down 
+5
Lab Rat
JeffR
masscoot
jdeereanton
Buickguy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Buickguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-04-10

Hi everybodoy Empty
PostSubject: Hi everybodoy   Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 2:12 am

Hello everyone.
I just made a deal to get a 2002 SilverWing (FSC600)
I pick her up tomorrow. The woman I am getting her from bought it new but scared herself and had let it sit with 400 miles on the clock. I'm not new to bikes, been doing for many moons. The low mileage combined with year of sitting scares me a bit but I have resurrected other bike that had sat for longer. With a bit of luck and some elbow grease, I hope to have the S'wing on the road and rolling this season.
I'm looking forward to some pleasant conversation and trading stories.

Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Hi everybodoy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everybodoy   Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 6:27 am

Buickguy,

Welcome to the forum - enjoy the ride.

There were a few recalls with the early bikes, may want to check with your dealer to see if your VIN has had the recalls applied.

http://www.scootertrap.com/SilverWing600.htm

The link I provide above will take you to a page that has a comprehensive list of Silverwing recalls. You will have to scroll down a little bit, but the list is located on the right hand side of the page under a black heading titled Recal Info.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Hi everybodoy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everybodoy   Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 8:30 am

Welcome Buick guy!

Thanks for signing up with us! You may be surprised at what little you will need to do to get her running. Dale makes a good point about the early recalls, have the dealer run the VIN. If it were me, I would replace all the fluids with new just because of the age. Sounds like you have the experience with bikes, these are fairly simple to work on. Grab yourself a repair manual and review the How-to tutorials and you will be all set!

Of course you can just about any question, and get an answer (we even anwer silly questions) Smile

Good luck and ride safe!
Back to top Go down
Buickguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hi everybodoy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everybodoy   Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 9:17 am

Thanks guys.
I will look in to the recalls. With that few miles, I suspect none were done.
I am also counting on changing oil, coolant, brake fluid (front and rear), fork oil, putting tires on (counting on dry rot), replacing battery, and flushing/cleaning the fuel system.

Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Hi everybodoy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everybodoy   Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 2:18 pm

Welcome to the site and I would check out the link that Dale gave. It is the easiest site to go to for the recalls. Matt (scootertrap) is also a great guy to deal with if you want other things for your Swing too. Congrats on the Swing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Buickguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hi everybodoy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everybodoy   Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 7:57 pm

I picked her up today.
I think this is the luckiest I've been with a used vehicle purchase.
The lady's husband had drained the fuel, oil and changed the coolant when his wife parked it. The brake fluid is clean and clear. The tires are still soft and supple. No battery in it but I found one at a local dealer.
fresh oil and fuel in it, battery in place and it fired right up.
Looking at the Odometer, it has 113 miles on it. Not even broken in!
The worst part of the thing are some scuffs on the paint from one of the trips in a moving van.
No recalls have been performed on it so I'll get with the Honda shop and get those done.
I feel like I've stumbled on a New Old Stock 2002 with just a bit of shelf wear!
You can see the scuffs / shelf wear in this photo.

Attachments
Hi everybodoy Attachment2002 Honda FSC600.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(105 Kb) Downloaded 15 times
Back to top Go down
Lab Rat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Lab Rat

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-03-15

Hi everybodoy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everybodoy   Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 7:59 pm

Nice! Welcome aboard!
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

Hi everybodoy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everybodoy   Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Looks great, Welcome to a great forum.

Cathy
Back to top Go down
wayneliz
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wayneliz

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2010-09-10

Hi everybodoy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everybodoy   Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Welcome Buickguy- sounds like a great find! My 2002 has 44,000 miles and still runs like new- can't beat a Honda! Enjoy!

Wayne
Back to top Go down
Tripod
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tripod

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-03-30

Hi everybodoy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everybodoy   Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 8:37 pm

Sounds like you're on the ball, getting your SW ready to go.

I'd just re-emphisize the rubber parts. You said the tires were 'soft & supple', good. I would still look closely at the sidewalls for cracks (if you havn't already). Also, for peace of mind, it'd be a good idea to replace the drive belt.

I bought a 2002 a couple of months ago, with 14K on it. Runs great. You are one lucky guy, having an owner that drained the fluids and such.

Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Buickguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hi everybodoy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everybodoy   Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 9:41 pm

Thanks guys!

Tripod, I love your avatar...KHAN!!!!!!!

I did look at the sidewalls with a watchmaker's loop. No visble dry rot at 3x mag! The fork seals also seem to have no rot.
I probably will do the belt just because but first, the recalls!
I still can't believe the luck, its like hitting the lottery!
I do wish it was that Candy Wineberry Red (R114CU) since I have an '87 Rebel in the color that I've had since new.
The cool thing with the Black SilverWing is it matches the '83 Midnight Virago.
I wish I would have kept the '86 Elite 250 I bought my then girlfriend (now wife) but when we married, it was time to simplify. (The reason for the Rebel is so we could side by side on quarter liters)
I do miss my BMW K-bike tourer but the Silverwing has element of both the Elite and BMW. I'm "proud, happy and thrilled" with the S-Wing.
My only complaint if I had to actually lodge one on the S-Wing is that it is too heavy to carry on the back of the motorhome. Oh well, the Rebel does that duty just fine.
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Hi everybodoy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everybodoy   Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:08 pm

Welcome Buickguy! As a fellow '02 SW owner, I know you'll love it. Let me be so bold as to ask how much did you pay? I bought my '02 back in spring of '08 with 4500 miles on it for $3900. Don't feel that you have to answer, I'm just curious as to what the market is nowadays...
Back to top Go down
http://www.windycitylaser.com/flying.htm
Buickguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hi everybodoy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everybodoy   Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 11:24 pm

There is the really beautiful part!
I traded a jet boat for the SilverWing, even.
The lady with the S-Wing wanted a jet boat and had been sitting on the S-Wing unused for years. I wanted a SilverWing and had long moved up from the jet boat so it had barely seen any use since '99. Rather than sit and each of us watch these things rot, we traded. She feels it was quite equitable and so do I. We each get something we can and will use and we each let go of something we weren't going to use again.
While the jet is older that the wing, I had just done the complete engine electronics on it in 2009 and put a brand new battery in for the trade. The two year old battery out of the jet will go on a pontoon boat.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi everybodoy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everybodoy   Hi everybodoy I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi everybodoy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: