Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Mirror Extenders

Go down 
+31
Colin B
Meldrew
RArch
Nowun
Dramhunter
exavid
MikeO
model28a
bikerboy
tinman
Yaj
Gyro
JeffR_
GHM-PM
hotwings
Pastor Ron
jahmani3
CathyN
Coops666
trouble1100
billc.
john grinsel
lcseds
honda_silver
J.R.
JeffR
bigbird
wayneliz
DennisB
Winger61
smorkle
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
smorkle

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-21

Mirror Extenders - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 5:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

The other day I saw someone mention mirror extenders and thought that was a pretty neat idea so I found some on ebay and ordered them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140522625311

I got them in the mail today and they popped on in about 10 minutes. I have yet to ride with them because it's windier than a liars convention out there today and I just didn't want to mess with it. They do bring the mirrors up about an inch and out about 1½ inches. The specs say 1½" and 2" respectively, but it just falls short of that. I will give a better review of them after I've ridden with them once or twice but they look pretty close to OEM colors and it appears as though I can see better behind me. Time will tell.

The price was right!

Mirror Extenders - Page 2 307n
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 10:27 pm

Even though I said I put Burgman 400 mirrors on my Wing and like them, I kept my stock mirrors with extenders. My stock mirrors with extenders are the same height and length as the Burgman 400 mirrors. My stock mirrors got some scratches on the black plastic when I got hit is the only reason I swapped them. If I didn't have the Burgman 400 mirrors I would put my stock mirrors with extenders back on. I was very happy with them, that is why I would not get rid of them.

Last edited by model28a on Sat May 04, 2013 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 11:39 pm

I put extenders on my previous SW and on my current one. The previous SW's bolts turned a bit bronze but a touch with a permanent marker made them nice and black again. You might have to touch them up once a year or so but that's easier than painting. I also put a wee bit of anti-seize on the bolts so that they won't either gall or freeze in the master cylinder threads. I've used a magic marker and Sharpie for touching up black paint and anodizing for quite a while, it works well and lasts for a year or so. It's also handy for touching up gunsights and scratches.
Back to top Go down
Dramhunter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Dramhunter

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: Mirror extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 7:35 pm

Just bought and fitted a set of these babies today. They are great, well made, easy fit and actually look like factory parts. Cheaper that fitting good quality replacement mirrors and look great. Highly recommended!
Back to top Go down
http://northlight.artistwebsites.com/index.html
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 6:02 pm

... and, just for fun, the case against extending ...

https://youtu.be/NNZg2RGakEY

Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 10:34 pm

Not a problem in the US other than in California it's illegal to 'filter' or as it's called here, sharing.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 2:50 pm

From my experiences commuting daily in London all you need is a seriously loud exhaust, no mirrors or fold them in (L plates are optional), the traffic parts before them...

Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Nowun wrote:
... and, just for fun, the case against extending ...
https://youtu.be/NNZg2RGakEY

Sod that for a game of soldiers!
Makes me glad I live 'ooop north'! Bad enough having to work for another seven months, without all that hassle just to get there!
Roll on retirement!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 5:53 pm

Smile Gives you something to focus on - other than work - for the first 45 mins of your day.
Back to top Go down
Dramhunter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Dramhunter

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 5:42 am

Well, UK law DOES put the onus on the motorcyclist to ensure it is safe to filter, that he/she will not cause a hazard and to be alert for drivers changing lane. Also, we aren't supposed to filter except in stationary traffic!!

No offence but I think the US and other countries are daft to disallow it because what's the point of riding a vehicle like any kind of motorcycle if you can't use the size and manoeuvrability of it to your (safe) advantage? It also is a congestion buster and a fuel saver.

Those extenders are great, though I had one come loose yesterday morning in the bloody awful downpour we had in Belfast. Had to stop a friendly tyre fitters to get an allen key to tighten her up again! I notice a small increase in low speed vibration but nothing serious and they do look like factory parts.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 6:01 am

My mirror extenders had an annoying tendency to work loose when I first fitted them. A dab of Loctite or similar thread lock will sort the problem out. Smile
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 7:31 am

Dramhunter wrote:
Well, UK law DOES put the onus on the motorcyclist to ensure it is safe to filter.

But you can be nicked for reckless riding. I've heard that police will pay little attention if general speeds are below 15mph, but I may be misremembering. Above that and they may stop you to ask questions.

Much above that speed and the traffic dynamic can suddenly change to our disadvantage - drivers changing lanes without a care.

If the traffic on a motorway is moving at 30 or above, I stay in lane - unlike some! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Dramhunter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Dramhunter

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 8:31 am

Like I said, "Also, we aren't supposed to filter except in stationary traffic!!". Police pull you over to ask questions? Jeez, do we still have police in the IK who pay attention to roads? That would be nice. Anyway, he/she may ask questions but unless you've caused damage, are filtering in moving traffic (which we all do I suppose!!) or created a hazard they can do nothing. Above about 20mph I'd not advise filtering, as you say Colin, dynamics change rapidly!
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 8:56 am

As I said, I may have misremembered, but I think it was during my "Bikesafe" course (run by the London Metropolitan Police) that one of them mentioned the 15mph mark as being "OK".

During my subsequent IAM training, great emphasis (a little too much of it) was placed on "making progress", ie filtering, overtaking, head of the queue at traffic lights etc, albeit safely. My IAM test examiner (also a Met officer) said that he would not be paying much attention to his speedo. He was more interested in seeing safe, smooth, progressive riding and my ability to read ahead - "the thinking rider".

In case you're all thinking that this has gone off topic, let me say that it would be difficult to undertake either of those courses without a decent rear view. The instructors/examiners ride behind you (so that the can observe Rolling Eyes ). The only way the student knows where to go is by watching for their indicators. It teaches you to look around; something too few drivers do.

Back to top Go down
Dramhunter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Dramhunter

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 10:56 am

Interesting Colin, did you do IAM on the Wing? I think BikeSafe is an excellent programme. The NI police do it here and they were super. Having to look behind for instructions is actually a good idea!! Anyway, these extenders are a great idea!
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 11:06 am

No, I had a Burgman650 then. The Swing is new.

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 1:18 pm

When I did Bikesafe with the Police in North London we were advised not to filter if the traffic was travelling at more than 45 MPH and I was gently admonished for NOT filtering on one of my observed rides.

We were also advised that we should not filter at more than 15 MPH above the speed of the traffic.

All the instructors were Motorcycle cops.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 1:25 pm

Ah! 15mph above. I knew 15 came in somewhere.

I still think 20mph is tops. It all becomes a bit fluid and unpredictable above that.
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 2:04 pm

MikeO wrote:
advised not to filter if the traffic was travelling at more than 45 MPH ...
... also advised that we should not filter at more than 15 MPH above the speed of the traffic.

This is current IAM advice too. Although I'm with Colin that once traffic is around 30-35 I stop filtering and join the flow.

To keep on topic - I use my mirrors often when filtering because the guys on their sports bikes want to cut through a lot faster than I do.
Back to top Go down
Chaos
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-06-07

PostSubject: Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2013 9:59 pm

I bought those and they are great!
Back to top Go down
Dramhunter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Dramhunter

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 6:00 am

Well, been riding with them for a while now and they really should be fitted as standard. I keep a constant check on whats happening behind and was caught out with the standard mirrors a few times when vehicles appeared that I hadn't seen. Now, rear view is quite good. Noticed a little extra vibration at certain speeds but nothing to annoy me too much.
Back to top Go down
Granny Rides
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Granny Rides

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-02-21

PostSubject: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 8:19 am

I want to thank you riders for posting the mirror extenders thread. I bought them, installed them, and they are great! A
big help, thanks again cheers 
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 9:54 am

This old subject------Stock mirrors are too narrowly placed for most dressed up in winter riding gear....AND they do not show true picture of who is trying to kill you from behind.

Honda CB750 mirrors like came on original 69 750's----show true picture and distance behind....not costly, Dennis Kirk good source in US. My set of mirrors has been on several bikes....worked great on Alaska trip about 15 years ago NiteHawk 750 pulling Kwik Kamp trailer. On my new SilverWing right now.

As rider who spends long hours with/on bike proper mirrors can lower stress levels....but you need, too, to pay attention on what is in front of you!!
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 10:28 am

I changed my mirrors to the Burgman 400 ones. Even with extenders the stock mirrors did not give the wider view as the Burgman mirrors. When i first was riding in the Sixties, i was behind a load of cars in a traffic jam. A police motorcyclist came up to me and told me off,and said "you are not in a tin box my lad get to the front of this lot and use the bike as it is meant to be used". I never forgot but as always, use common sense when filtering or overtaking. Smile 
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 12:35 pm

I played with 2 sets of Suzuki mirrors on SilverWing--TU250 and Burgman400=better than stock and heavy, but CB750 work better in my use.
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 1:46 pm

Filtering or lane splitting.... traveling the white line between cars on motorcycle is illegal in most states, except California. I would think it would help the over all in heavy traffic but doing it here will get you a ticket. You can't even creep along side a couple of cars to make a right hand turn here without breaking the law.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mirror Extenders   Mirror Extenders - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mirror Extenders
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2