Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Today at 3:47 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to progreso, and could use some advice
Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Today at 3:27 am

» LF extended back rest
Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Today at 2:54 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 6:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 11:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 3:15 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 1:27 am

» New to Me Swing
Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:05 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em

Go down 
+18
KurtPerthWA
john grinsel
masscoot
CathyN
robert
GaryL
JeffR
slava777
GWPSI
Waspie
MikeO
honda_silver
Opalsboy
trouble1100
old fart
bigbird
joncallihan
Jinglebob
22 posters
AuthorMessage
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em Empty
PostSubject: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Greetings all...quick question. Noticed on last long (~200 mile) ride that I was starting to get a bit of monkeybuttage. Was wondering what you long distance types use to combat that issue?
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:25 pm

Russell Day Long :flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:59 pm

Jinglebob wrote:
Was wondering what you long distance types use to combat that issue?

I use a quick stop every 60-90 minutes. Thirty seconds of walking around seems to cure the monkeybuttage for another hour.
Back to top Go down
old fart
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
old fart

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 8:32 pm

i've invested a lot of money in my seat. I feel I get good value every time I do an extended trip
1st- got a gel pack installed at upholsterer- got seat lowered at same time
improved seat time by 50%
2nd- bought airhawk pillow off craigslist- cheap
improved seat time by another 50%
3rd- bought sheep skin on ebay
no improvement on seat time but looks good and hides airhawk

I survived a 2500 mile trip last summer and my butt didn't punish me much. I consider it money well spent.
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 10:04 pm

On longer trips we use the “Wallmart” seat pad. Members of another motorcycle board have raved about this cushion for a few years so we tried one and found it to be a cheap solution for monkeybutt.

One side of the pad cover has an open weave that sits on a waffle pattern pad for air circulation and the opposite has a rubberized face to keep it from sliding. We tuck the back side under the butt rest to keep it in place.

I found one at Walmart for around twenty bucks and another for the wife's Burgman at Costco for a few bucks less.

Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em Attachment

Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em Attachment

Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 11:45 pm

Ron... I found the exact item at Walmart and my wife decided to add an extra layer of egg carton foam and added straps to go under seat. I was going to wait until we do the East Coast excursion trip in May before posting about them, but you beat me to it. I will post our experience when we get going. We have a shorter trip to make as soon as our trike kit is installed next week end.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 1:32 am

Jinglebob wrote:
Greetings all...quick question. Noticed on last long (~200 mile) ride that I was starting to get a bit of monkeybuttage. Was wondering what you long distance types use to combat that issue?

On the original seat I would have to sit almost side saddle with one cheek off the saddle every ~45-60 minutes to avoid discomfort. These are the improvements I made in order:

1) Alaskan Sheepskin

The Alaskan Sheepskin help me to extend time between discomfort to ~90-120 minutes. The Alaskan Sheepskin also help by reducing the riding temperature from the sun and high temperatures.

2) Air Hawk

Adding the Air Hawk totally removed any discomfort.

3) Removed buttrest and installed Utopia backrest

Adding the Utopia backrest allowed me to comfortably ride all day 800-900 miles with no fatigue. It is like riding from a LaZBoy recliner Smile

When I took the buttrest apart, I found it had a metal bar facing the driver at the base with very little padding. I believe this cause a lot of my discomfort.

I still have to drill out the remaining rivets and plastic pieces (after removing the buttrest).

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:06 pm

I'm with bigbird - apart from aches produced from sitting for any extended period on any chair or seat I find the seat on the Silverwing very accommodating when combined with regular stops and walks-around.

I read with interest of everyone's solutions to their problems - all noted for the future. Thanks all!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:22 pm

I must have an armoured rear!

However I do make regular stops, as above, 2 hours absolute max in the saddle. I find the stop helps fatigue as well as butt discomfort. Time too to hydrate, kick the tyres and the light the fires and be gone. :arrow:
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
GWPSI
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:41 pm

Air Hawk seat cushion is terrific. Takes a little adjustment to get it inflated just right. I also added a Utopia back rest. My lower back always suffers more than my butt. Took my first long ride of the season late yesterday (90 miles) and my back is really touchy this morning. Still, after four long months with the Swing under a cover I loved every minute of it!
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 12:45 am

Based on the foregoing, I think we're going to start cheap and work our way up from there...already doing the one hour on and 5 minutes off thing and that works pretty well, but would like to go a bit longer, perhaps.

Will be hunting for the gelseat cushion at Walmart tomorrow...

I really am turning into an old fart. When I was riding years ago, never even gave it any thought-hi speed lo drag did not take into account one's personal comfort. Now...lo speed hi drag comfort paramount... Shocked
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 2:29 am

Also try to reposition your feet every fifteen minutes or so.

Feet forward will move some of your weight to the upper thigh with no support from your feet, cruiser motorcycle style.

Feet back your weight is all on your rump with the option to push some of the pressure off with your feet, standard motorcycle style.

If you go to the album section on page two and open randybuck”s page, expand the “Heated seat switches” picture you will see he added pegs to give a third option, sport bike style.
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 2:36 am

Yes, we do that also...but prefer how the bike handles in the twisties when my feet are directly below me...the feet forward position only works for me on long straight stretches...
Back to top Go down
slava777
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 4:09 am

Hi guys,
I purchased like new Corbin seat at the same time as my Silverwing (2007 model). I installed it myself during long evenings of winter time. Thanks for good weather, today I got a chance to ride on my bike for the first time, about 50-70 miles. Almost from the first minute, I've noticed strange feeling, something like seat is leaning forward, so I was slipping forward, especially when was applying brakes. I didn't install any additional shims during installation (recommended by Dennis) because seat locks in place without any problems. When I am looking at the seat from the side, It is not perfectly straight, It's front lower than rear. Nothing crazy but noticeable.
I really big fan of Corbin seats and this is not the first one I rode on. Is this is a seat problem? Does anyone experience the same issue with Corbin seat? Will Gel pad solve this issue?
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 4:13 am

I have tried the Walmart gel seat and they are very good. I had one for my wife and I and used it for almost a year. But I got the airhawk for my birthday and I use that now for longer rides.

On a scale of 1 to 10, if the airhawk is a 10, I would say the Walmart gel pad is a very solid 7 or maybe an 8. It will raise you up about 3/4" but it really makes the ride nicer and they are only about $20.00. So if you don't want to spend the $150 for the airhawk then the Walmart gel pad will be a very nice improvement. They are in the automotive section, usually next to the steering wheel covers.

If you get the airhawk the most important thing to figure out is that "the less air the better". It took me a few rides to really get it down but you don't want much air at all. I kept letting more and more air out until I just barely kept off the seat. Too much air makes you bounce on the seat.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 7:09 am

I have a Corbin seat on mine (2009), and it has completely solved my discomfort problem. I notice no feeling of sliding forward. Seat was installed exactly according to the directions, except that I had to shim the rear latch to get it to close reliably. I have ridden 600 miles in one day with stops only for food & Fuel, and had no issues. I suggest you give it a little time and a few more miles and then see wht you think.
Back to top Go down
slava777
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi GaryL,
Thank you for sharing your experience. I'll try to raise front of the seat by 1/2 inch as per Dennis advise. Should I consider sheepskin cover to gain some grip?
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 8:40 pm

Slava777,

I have no experience with Sheepskin, so I can't give you any information there. What material is the seat cover made of? Mine is the heavy vinyl, as I was advised by Corbin that the Arizona sun would eat up the leather in a couple of years (Without a lot of preventative measures). If yours is leather, it may be more slippery than what I have.
Back to top Go down
slava777
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 12:21 am

It looks like leather. I can't say it for sure. I've decided to ride on it for one season. Let's see what sun will do to it. If rear portion of seat wont bend down, the seat will go on Ebay. I still have stock to play with.
With regards to all.
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:20 am

Can anyone tell me is the heavy vinyl on the Corbin seat different from what is on the original seat? also, can anyone recommend a cover for the original seat? Thanks, Robert in Az. Ride Safe.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:39 am

I had a problem seating for more than an hour last fall when I started riding. I tried a beaded seat Bob had laying arount that helped a little. I bought an airhawk this winter.

Bob and I were going to ride last Saturday for the first time this season. We were all set to go but his starter went on is BMW. Needless to say we didn't go. I went arount the neighborhood for a few minutes to blow the cob webs out of the Swing. We checked out the Scala rider G4. Bob stayed at the garage and I went on the bike. I only got about a block when I couldn't hear him anymore. I do realize this is the city but shouldn't it be a little better distance. This is a residential neighborhood single family homes, not highrises. Anyone have any insight on this product. I know a few of you had good things to say about them. That's part of the reason we decided to go with the Scala Rider G4.

Anyway, I forgot to put my airhawk on the bike. When I came back to the garage I put it on and went back down the ally and then the streets. I saw an improvement right away. And believe me the City of Chicago has some of the worst streets after a hard winter with potholes and bad patch jobs along with all the other construction that goes on.

I went out tonight for a little longer ride and the airhawk was wonderful.
Just my two cents. I let you know how it does on an all day ride.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 3:51 am

I've had my Airhawk for about 3 yrs, works great! I also did the LeroyBeal buttrest mod. I'll have to get a walmart pad for the pillion. I like the idea of the fold-up foot pegs! Thanks for the ideas folks cheers
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 12:12 am

Seat secret-----#1 no underwear, unless Aerostich Darien pants, no jeans underneath. #2 stop every hour, besides the butt relief just give you a break,
By stopping every hour, sometimes more when reallly wet or cold.

AND ride everyday for everything----then when 500 mile hurry day is in front of you are in shape.

My butt that collects VA pension has survived 56 years and more than 1.5 million miles of bike seat time.

SilverWing has nice seat.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 1:35 am

My new avatar is just for you CathyN
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 1:38 am

Thanks, Kurt. : Smile
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 8:38 pm

I found the AirHawk to be the best for me.

I'm tall, with little meat between my tail bone and the seat. I couldn't take much more than an hour before I started to squirm. Tried the gel pad, and it was okay, but still got real sweaty in the summer.

The AH allows air to flow between your butt and the saddle, so that you don't get as sweaty. It also adds a little height, which I need. The stock seat is too low for me - I would rather it was 1-1.5 inches higher. Then some weight would be supported by the backs of your thighs, and less by the sit-bones.

The $150 price tag is not easy to handle, but its worth it. The medium cruiser will fit okay if you have the buttstop in place. If you have converted the buttstop to a backrest, the large will also fit fine (though it will hang over the front a little). I use the large cruiser size.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 6:06 am

buddy19520 wrote:
If you have converted the buttstop to a backrest, the large will also fit fine (though it will hang over the front a little). I use the large cruiser size.

I wonder if you let a little more air out and pushing it back further (collapsing a little of the rear) so that crushed rear sectionr does not fill with air it if would not overhang.

I had the medium AirHawk, that I now use for my wife on longer rides for her comfort.

With the Utopia backrest I am able slide the large AirHawk so that it does not hangover the front. I do like riding with the large better than the medium.
Back to top Go down
scooterboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 7:42 pm

I had my seat redone at Bemis Upholstery LLC in Keen NH. 603-357-8911 .They raised the front 1" to stop me from slidding forward.Took backrest of and removed bumps and completey recovered seat. What a difference now I can ride for many miles without hurting. This is the second seat Darrin has done for me and he does a great job at a very reasonable price . Give him a call or email him www.bemisupholstery.com
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 10:41 pm

scooterboy wrote:
I had my seat redone at Bemis Upholstery LLC in Keen NH. 603-357-8911 .They raised the front 1" to stop me from slidding forward.Took backrest of and removed bumps and completey recovered seat. What a difference now I can ride for many miles without hurting. This is the second seat Darrin has done for me and he does a great job at a very reasonable price . Give him a call or email him www.bemisupholstery.com

Thank you for reviving a year old post so that you can inform us about a specific business. It is always nice to see posters with few other posts raving about a product or service :-)

Are you related to Darrin, by chance?

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Back to top Go down
scooterboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 11:28 pm

No I am not related to Darrin. Just think when a man does a great job and is a pleasure to work with it doesn"t hurt to say so.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 1:02 pm

For some air circulation I find a Beadrider to be excellent. Only drawback is that it adds 12mm or so to the height of the seat.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 4:44 pm

Years ago I bought a fantastic memory foam with genuine sheepskin pad from http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/
Around town or short trips are ok with out the pad but for long trips I just take it out from under my seat and it installs in seconds. I would not be with out it. It is cool in the summer and worm in the winter. The total cost was $134.53 back in 2009
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em   Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seats...can't live with them, can't sit without 'em
Page 1 of 1