Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Yesterday at 3:43 pm

» noise under load
Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Back Pressure

Go down 
+3
MikeO
Waspie
tarmacburner2
7 posters
AuthorMessage
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 9:23 am

I have noticed quite a bit of back pressure when cruising at motorway speeds. The scoot has a Givi Airflow screen and a Honda top box. Adjusting the position of the screen didn't make any difference at all. Removing the top box did though. As I will be touring in France and elsewhere in Europe not having a top box isn't an option. Has anyone else experienced the back pressure and how (if you did) did you overcome it.
I never get the same back pressure when riding the Burgman. That has a 7Jurock screen (stock + 3") and I use Givi top boxes ranging from about 28 litres up to 45 litres. I may make a plate to fit the Givis onto the Silverwing and try them for size and shape.
Actually the cold on the back maybe an advantage in the warmer climates but up here in Sunny Lancashire it is a bit too nippy for my old bones.
Thoughts and ideas please.
Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 9:48 am

I felt the back pressure first ride after fitting the Givi Airflow screen.

I thought the benefits of noise reduction out weighed the minimal effect of the pressure I was experiencing on my back and particularly my helmet. Exaggerated by the colder temperatures we have been experiencing over the winter months.

I experimented with differing heights on the Airflow but have not managed to find an optimal setting to eradicate the slight pressure.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 11:06 am

Hello Waspie,

I've tried all sorts of heights for the adjustable screen. One thing I haven't tried yet is removing the top part of the screen completely. This will probably be fine for the warmer climate of the Auvergne in June but not for Sunny Lancashire in March.
What top box have you got? I am thinking that the Honda box with it's flat profile maybe a possible cause. Need to make a bracket so I can experiment with the Givi boxes.
Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 11:34 am

Don't do top boxes!!!!!

Sleek and mean!!!!!
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 11:51 am

Waspie,

It looks as if I am looking in the wrong place for a solution. Possibly the screen is the culprit.
Cheers,

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 2:28 pm

I think so. The air is directed over the head but then eddies behind causing pressure or air rushes in to replace the displaced air caused by a minor vacuum!!!

Tis my theory!!!!
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 2:36 pm

Yes, Don't understand why I never get it when on the Burgman. Has Suzuki solved the problem and not told Honda! Rolling Eyes
I think I'll try a full tail bag sat on the pillion seat to see if that prevents it. (Another excuse to have to go for a ride!)
Cheers,
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3797
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 3:40 pm

I've got an Airflow screen and E52 topbox.
In all honesty I haven't noticed if there's back-pressure or not.
If there is it isn't enough to bother me. Embarassed
Back to top Go down

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 5:04 pm

I used to get back pressure with the stock screen and a large topbox, but since I added a Laminar Lip I haven't noticed it.
Back to top Go down
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 5:50 pm

You could end the pressure entirely by filling the gaping void between your back and the top box with something. In airplanes, it's called a turtle deck, it's the bit that sticks up above the cockpit and usually has a headrest on the front of it. =)
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 5:29 am

Sweendog,

I had been thinking along the same lines, you'll see in a posting above from me mentioning the use of a tail bag. At it's full height it should be about 16" high so should make a decent diffuser. I'll post when I have tried it. It won't be today though, high winds and wet stuff trying to land!

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 6:12 am

That's very interesting!

I rarely ride 'fast' without a bag on the back seat - perhaps that's why I haven't noticed any back-pressure.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 8:15 am

We may have stumbled across the solution to prevent back pressure. Serendipity strikes again!

Cheers,

Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 am

tarmacburner2 wrote:
It looks as if I am looking in the wrong place for a solution. Possibly the screen is the culprit.

I wonder if a tail pipe extender would help??

Either due to a longer pipe or a slightly bent pipe/angled to exit on the side, especially since the windshield is not very wide.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 10:21 am

honda_silver wrote:
tarmacburner2 wrote:

I wonder if a tail pipe extender would help??

Either due to a longer pipe or a slightly bent pipe/angled to exit on the side, especially since the windshield is not very wide.

This thread has nothing at all to do with exhaust back pressure so how could a tail pipe extender help?
:flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 10:27 am

Indeed!
We're chatting about the vortex created by the screen as it travels through the air.

The vortex created by a racing car enables another car close behind to be sucked along and thus save energy.

In American parlance it's called 'draughting', I think.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 12:46 pm

joncallihan wrote:
This thread has nothing at all to do with exhaust back pressure so how could a tail pipe extender help?

I reread the thread, I kept reading the "back pressure" as muffler back pressure ... I accidentally crossed this thread with another.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 1:17 pm

Bit early in life to have a 'senior moment' Bill Laughing

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 6:01 pm

Hear in the US we get bombarded in the mail by AARP {American association of retired people} at age 50 so it's understandable in a way. Razz Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 4:19 am

Sounds as if there is a correlation between senility and where people live!
The pond must help to diffuse whatever environmental factors as senility usually starts at around sixty five over here. You have to be aware though that 'senility' and 'senior moments' are not inter-connected.
Now whereabouts on the screen did I leave my butty? Laughing

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 7:36 pm

Sorry it is a bit late in posting but thought I would let people know what I found.

Tried a tail bag on the pillion seat and it worked a treat. It is now a semi permanent item on the scoot. If not going on the motorway then it stays in the garage. I have also been experimenting with the position of the Givi Adjustable Windscreen, as yet I haven't found the ideal setting for it yet. I need to as we are off to France for two weeks in June so plenty of quick riding.

Realised why I wasn't getting back pressure problems whilst riding the Burgman - I had a Three Brothers backrest fitted. I have now removed it as the roads here are crap, everytime I went over a bump it thumped me in the back. Will use the tail bag if needs be.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Back Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back Pressure   Back Pressure I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back Pressure
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: