Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 6:01 pm

» New to Me Swing
tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0

Go down 
+5
KurtPerthWA
roadrunner
JeffR
joncallihan
alejom
9 posters
AuthorMessage
alejom
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alejom

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-02-18

tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 Empty
PostSubject: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 1:17 pm

I just started hearing a new noise a few days ago; it sounds like a tapping noise coming from the rear, I think that from the clutch area but I'm not sure. Just imagine tapping on a hollow piece of wood, it is not a deep sound, it is more like in a key of Sol or La and lasts from when the wheel starts spinning up to about 10mph. If I accelerate hard from stop I don't hear it but it could just be masked by the revving engine noise.

How complicated it is to inspect the clutch, not just the drive belt?
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 4:28 pm

I couldn't resist:

http://www.tuktuknorthamerica.com/

:flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
alejom
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alejom

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 4:42 pm

jejeje... thank you Jon... Laughing

Back to the topic, in www.silverwing.org I've found a couple of threads mentioning replacing the slides in the variator or replacing the variator witha J Costa and another talking about having the final drive disassembled and cleaned by the dealership; it says they found a glossy coating but there are no specifics about on what part.

Opinions?
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 5:31 pm

Sometimes this happens when the clutch gets glazed. One quick way to get rid of this is to hold the front brake in and then rev it up to about 4,000rpms for about 5 seconds. This will un-glaze the clutch and the noise usually stops.

If you accelerate quickly you won't get this noise usually. You only need to de-glaze the clutch once in awhile if you take off slowly alot.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
alejom
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alejom

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:21 pm

Hello Jeff.

You mentioned holding the front brake. Would this be with the bike on the center stand and the rear wheel spinning freely, or with the rear wheel on the ground?

Thank you
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 7:08 pm

With the wheel on the ground -- it can't be turning or you won't deglaze the clutch. I have the same problem due to lots of start-and-stop traffic; I found an old thread on this site a while ago that I think JeffR wrote and it definitely works. I end up needing to deglaze about once a week.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 12:27 am

Dammit Jon, you beat me to it,

Back to top Go down
RatJet
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RatJet

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2011-02-17

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 3:46 am

Sometimes it is not enough to clean the belt case airfilter in the normal service intervalls. If this filter is dirty, its possible that the clutch get hot cause it gets not enough cooling air.

RJ
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 4:05 am

RatJet,

That is a great observation. Had not occured to me until I read your post. I do think that could be a contributing factor, not the sole source, but certainly a factor.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
RatJet
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RatJet

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 5:33 am

Maybe it could also a factor, that the belt had lost a little tension and hits against the case. When the clutch is nearly closing, the belt is a little swinging and the distance to the case wall is really small. On most SWs you can see the marks wich the belt has left on the case wall.

Hope, my English is good enough to let you understand the meaning.

RJ
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 6:02 am

Indeed it is very good and the meaning is very clear! Smile

One would say the clutch is 'almost fully engaged' rather than 'nearly closing' ..... but so what? Wink
Back to top Go down
RatJet
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RatJet

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 6:49 am

MikeO wrote:
Indeed it is very good and the meaning is very clear! Smile

One would say the clutch is 'almost fully engaged' rather than 'nearly closing' ..... but so what? Wink

Danke für den Hinweis Wink
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 7:01 am

One thing's for sure; your English is 1000 times better than my German! Laughing
Back to top Go down
RatJet
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RatJet

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 7:03 am

MikeO wrote:
One thing's for sure; your English is 1000 times better than my German! Laughing

Thx for the compliments.
Back to top Go down
alejom
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alejom

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 9:51 am

Thank you to all of you for your replies; I will open the case today and look for marks, inspect the filter and then deglaze the clutch.

I will let you know what it comes to.

RatJet, dein Englisch ist sehr gut und ich habe alles verstanden. Wink
Back to top Go down
RatJet
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RatJet

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 11:34 am

I dont know, if its a good idea to glare the clutch with let it work against the brakes. It may get too hot and the linings may tage damage.
If they are really glared, it will be better to take them out and remove a thin part of the surface with a cheap or sandpaper.

RJ
Back to top Go down
alejom
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alejom

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 12:16 pm

It seems to have stopped now; I follow JeffR's instructions and rev'd up to 4000 RPM with the front brake engaged for 5 seconds.

There was a little bit of burnt rubber smell but nothing alarming; the noise is gone right after it was more evident than ever a few minutes before.

I will open the case to peek inside but maybe dust is not a factor here as I only have 4500 mi on the odometer and only ride on clean roads.

Thank you to all again. cheers
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-20

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 12:52 pm

I think dust means the dust from the clutch and belt, not from the environment. That dust normally will blown out with the cooling airflow in the vario but will boost the abrasive wear.
The clutch is like a drum brake activated by centrifugal force and have abrasion like any other brake and will produce the dust you can see for example on the rims
Also the belt will have abrasion that looks like black rubber dust
This is for examle the black dirt in the belt change pictorial on page 16
Back to top Go down
alejom
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alejom

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 1:04 pm

Got it, I'll take my dyson with me when I open the case... Laughing
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-20

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 1:20 pm

A rag and brakecleaner will be the better choice.

But if the dyson will also do the job, i also want one! :D
Back to top Go down
alejom
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
alejom

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 3:37 pm

Just to close this thread, JeffR's suggestion worked very well and the noise is now gone.

I try now to start a little bit more aggressively and only when the vehicle ahead has already travelled a few meters so I don't have to brake again behind it. Basically, trying to go past the engaging rpm's of the clutch instead of being overly-gentle.

There was little dust in the case, I just brushed it off
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0   tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tuc-tuc noise when starting from 0
Page 1 of 1