Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Honda CBR250R

Go down 
+5
roadrunner
bigbird
john grinsel
Skippy
jdeereanton
9 posters
AuthorMessage
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 10:57 am

I have for some time been thinking about getting a small bike that is not a scooter because I like to shift on occasion. I have begun to really consider the CBR250R : http://powersports.honda.com/2011/cbr250r.aspx I really like the look and it seems to compare well with other bikes of it's size. There are some differences and among them is a smaller MSRP.

Red is the color I prefer and I like how much it looks like the CBR 1200.

Getting some good reviews:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/625/8275/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Honda-CBR250R-First-Look.aspx
and
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-news/2010/honda-cbr250r.htm
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 11:21 am

Dale,

The only comment I've seen about these here in the UK is the question, why is the 1983 version aka the 'Honda Superdream RS' more powerful?

On a personal note, I rather like them but would prefer the VFR (CBR) 1200 with the autobox - I think Honda should be patted on the back for building such a main stream bike with an autobox - a very brave move, I think it will either sell by the bucket load or badly, only time will tell.

Its been a long, long time since anybody made bikes in the 250/350 range for commuting etc. Esp forsale over here, the introduction of power restrictions when the big for were building mad stokers killed off the market, making us all ride 125's etc. until we passed the test.

Is it going to be really any faster than a scoot of a similar capacity??
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 11:35 am

It lacks centerstand, making it pain in everyday use and maint. Sure ok. Look at VIN to see where made.

Suzuki TU250 maybe better in everyday use, but still no centerstand.

I lived long time in Japan----their home market has very active 250cc class because of ins. and inspection standards. Some real great stuff---I had GB250 clubman, really nice actually better performer than my GB500. We just don't get the good stuff here. Here every beginner thinks 750-1000cc is girl's bike.

Small displacement bikes can be fun---I enjoyed 250 class from Maico Blizzard 250 to MZ ETS. Break something usually cheap to fix.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 11:37 am

I think the Super Dream RS was a twin - thus a bit more oomph.

And yeah I was pushing the keys too fast here. The VFR 1200 is the correct nomenclature. I really like the look, but have teh silverwing for my long distance cruising and can't see spending the cash for that much bike. I love the technology and the style of the VFR. It does come with a manual box and the auto is an option. At least that's how I understand the promo materials I've read. Saw one at the local dealership and it was a manual.

My guess on the CBR 250 vs. a scoot of similar displacement is that the top end of the CBR might be a bit more, but the quickness to speed may be a wash. Again there would be some variance based on rider and rider skills. It should be able to be a bit more efficient with the power as the drive line is more efficient.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 11:45 am

It will be assembled in Taiwan. And no center stand is not a big deal to me. I can use the maintenance stand.

The TU250 is a nice bike, but not as pleasing to my eye as the little Honda. The TU also uses a rear drum brake as opposed to the disk of the CBR. The CBR has ABS as an option the TU does not. I will have to give the TU a tip of the hat if you like the retro look. And am pleased that both Honda and Suzuki have not neglected this size bike and are including electronic FI on the bikes.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 12:06 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 1:34 pm

According to one of the links you provided Dale, the CBR250R will be built by Thai Honda, not in Taiwan. Not that it matters...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-news/2010/honda-cbr250r.htm
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 5:46 am

roadrunner,

Good point, I read that and still typed Taiwan (Freudian slip?). I do agree with you though - country of origin doesn't much matter if the corporation who's name goes on the product is enforcing their quality standards. I remember the cries of foul when Mercedes Benz announced the decision to build it's M-Class in AL - no quality issues. Honda builds the Oddesey here as well as v6 engines.

bigbird,

I like the semi-naked Kawasaki also and have not read any thing that even remotely sounds negative about that bike. Many even rate it higher than the new BMW sport bike.

My day to day riding (work) is primarily urban. I have a great route that I have found to get from the office to the hangar and it would be fun on a bike, but I am generally carrying way more equipment than would fit on a bike.

First chance I have to ride the little CBR I will post a report.
Back to top Go down
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 11:54 pm

I just saw one of those little gems today at the International Motorcycle Show in New York City. What a great little bike to sit on, and they're priced pretty aggressively at $4000 retail. I'd like very much to take one on a test ride.

If I had the shop facilities, I'd snap one up to use as a starting point for a high-mileage streamliner al-la Craig Vetter. The bike has a very good HP to displacement ratio, and was SUPER light. It's also a single cylinder, liquid cooled, fuel injected engine, on par with the new(ish) Yamaha WR250X without the overly-tall seat height.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 5:32 am

Apparently you are not very experienced rider, if you cannot figure out how to get your stuff to work, two rubber top opening bags from Aerostich would let you carry 150lbs of stuff. The ones that lay on seat.

Go out ride, get some experience. What is your motorcycle/scooter history? Did you ride in Germany?

Bikes/scooter make good commuters, I lived for years no car....because I wanted to, even took new chairs, etc home. Silverwing can carry a lot----provided you have no rider's backrest, Givi box not locked works too. Then "tank bag" in well.

Dressing up takes a little more time, but worth it.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 5:49 am

John,

If your latest diatribe is aimed at me I would like to tell you once again that this is a forum not a place for you to work out your angst.

If you figure out a way to transfer (on a scooter) a 400 pound laser alignment tool that comes in two boxes the smallest of which is 3' x 3' x 2.5' and the other is 5 ' long and 1.5' square I'll listen to you.

You must not get out much and interact with actual people or you'd have a better understanding that life is not shaped by how you think.
Back to top Go down
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-01-16

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 6:10 am

WELL, I think that cbr250 is a great looking machine, i did really like the instrument panel set up...very modern...even though you said u like red, that all black one made my heart sang :-) JD..i cant believe that guy said that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Yerabuilder.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 7:40 am

simple my life is shaped by riding, yours is not-----thought this whole scooter thing was about riding and fixing. Thus your opinions will be shaped different than mine. Ride a lot and get use out of bike, you think different. I am not mad at any body, my life is good---I just live on facts.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 8:10 am

So once again how do I transport the equipment?
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 8:04 pm

From what I've read the CBR250R is supposed to be even better than the Ninja 250, which is saying quite a bit. IMHO, those small displacement sport bikes are the most fun to ride.

I'm glad Honda went with fuel injection. I had a Ninja before the Swing, and it was a blast when it was running well. Unfortunately, the Ninja is carbureted and after I upgraded the intake and exhaust I never quite got the adjustment right.

I'd be interested to know how it compares to the SWing. I would guess that the Swing is faster off the line and at the top end, but that the CBR is better mid-range. Top speeds seem like they should be roughly the same.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 8:21 pm

+1 Dale.
Back to top Go down
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-01-16

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 9:29 pm

I actually looked at a Ninja 250 before a i bought a cheap chinese scooter a few years ago and it was priced surpisingly well. I couldnt speak from experience riding 250cc sport bikes, but i think for the price range of the CBR 250....it would be a helluva lot of fun.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Yerabuilder.com
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 9:55 pm

The Swing would likely quickly out pace the CBR after 65-70MPH, as it has much more power. Even w/the weight difference, I think it would be better off on the higher end than the CBR. I'm sure the little CBR would kick ass on a track though!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Honda CBR250R Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda CBR250R   Honda CBR250R I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Honda CBR250R
Page 1 of 1