Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» Drive belt prices
Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It

Go down 
+5
DennisB
Waspie
bigbird
MikeO
SWing2010
9 posters
AuthorMessage
SWing2010
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-07-24

Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It Empty
PostSubject: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 10:57 am

Guys,

This simple install is for those who just want to charge their phones, and do not care for the mess of removing or having to work around the tupperware on the SWing. Items needed: 2 10 inch sections of 14 gauge wire, one with a 15 amp fuse block, each section with proper hoop connectors for the battery. Second, a Hopkins Towing Solutions Power management 12 volt power outlet. Third open seat, remove battery cover, then drill a .25 inch hole in the cover. Fourth, get the 2 sections of 14g wire, thread them through the battery cover, back of cover to front.

The power outlet has a red and white wire combo, shorten these wires, to about 5 inches, shorten the 14g wires to about 7 inches. Splice the outlet and battery wires together, hot to hot and ground to ground. Connect to the battery, hot to + (red wire), the other to the - terminal. The postive wire with the 15 amp fuse on it can be gently coiled up (the fuse block I used was small) and inserted in the left side of the battery. Making sure that your wires are gently coiled up, and not kinked, and that there are NO bare wires replace the cover.

The Hopkins outlet adheres to the battery cover via adhesive backing, it is very strong and firm. But you can use 2 small self tapping screws if you desire. This solution is not for those who want to power all of their gizmos, it is for those who want a power outlet, are not concerned with location. Anyway I am not an electrician, so use caution, and take all saftey precautions, like disconnecting the battery when you are working on the SWing.

Guys, I also called Honda 11.08.2010 and gave them hell for not putting a $30 outlet in a $9000 bike.

Geeeeez,
Swing2010

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 12:12 pm

Excellent! cheers
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 4:03 pm

SWing2010 wrote:

Guys, I also called Honda 11.08.2010 and gave them hell for not putting a $30 outlet in a $9000 bike.

In Canada, new, only $6799, but discontinued for 2011 model year.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Already fitted to imported Wings in good ole 'Blighty'. Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi Doug,

I was just wondering how Honda did their wire hook-up on the stock power outlet in the left glove box. Can you scan in the shop manual schematic/wiring diagram page that shows that and send that to me thourgh a PM?

Thank You,

DennisB
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 5:14 pm

DennisB wrote:

Can you scan in the shop manual schematic/wiring diagram page that shows that and send that to me thourgh a PM?
Thank You,
DennisB

I likewise would like to know. Could you include me in that PM also.
Much appreciated.
Bigbird
Back to top Go down
midlandchip
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
midlandchip

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 4:27 pm

I want a power outlet in the dash so I can connect my GPS which is mounted in the middle of the handle bars. My Honda dealer told me this would be a big project which would require taking apart much/most of the upper part of the body in the front of the bike. I was told this could be a three hour job which would be an expensive way to get a power outlet. Any thoughts or comments?

Last edited by midlandchip on Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 5:21 pm

Dennis, Bigbird, just read this. Working right now so unable to look at it, but as soon as Monday comes I will be on the case and PM you both the relevant information.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 6:05 pm

midlandchip wrote:
I want a power outlet in the dash so I can connect my GPS which is mounted in the middle of the handle bars. My Honda dealer told me this would be a big project which would require taking apart much/most of the upper part of the body in the front of the bike. I was told this could be a three hour job which would be and expensive way to get a power outlet. Any thoughts or comments?

If you can live with an outlet on the right side of the upper dash close to the right storage bin, it can easily be done without removing any tupperware. The bin pops out and you have lots of room to work. The only caveat is to make sure that no moving parts from the parking brake mechanism come in contact with the outlet or its wiring. It's an easy matter to fish a DC cable from the battery box to the right front of the bike. It's at most a 1 hour job this way.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Waspie wrote:
Dennis, Bigbird, just read this. Working right now so unable to look at it, but as soon as Monday comes I will be on the case and PM you both the relevant information.

That would be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
midlandchip
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
midlandchip

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 9:47 pm

Thanks for the comment bigbird. I wouldn't do the work myself. I know a guy who operates a private metric repair shop who did a lot of excellent work for me on my Honda Helix 250cc before I got my Silver Wing. I will take your recommendation to him and see what he can do for me.

MidlandChip
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 10:34 pm

Very good.
Often the privateers not only do better work than the dealer shop, but they will invariably do it cheaper.
Let us know the outcome.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 4:30 am

If you've got the power socket in the LH cubby you could try this - I did it last year and it works fine:

These days I'm reluctant to cut holes in new things and, having given much thought to the problem/solution, came up with this:

I bought one of these to mount on the lid of the LH cubby:

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/12v_surface_mounted_din_socket_cap/

I drilled three holes; two tiny ones for the self-tappers to fix the socket and a larger one through which to feed the wires.

On the end of the wires I fixed a chocolate-block connector and into that more wire attached to a plug which goes into the standard socket inside the cubby.

I made a gasket from gaffer tape and sealed the big hole with silicone sealant. The wires are clipped with self-adhesive cable clips to the underside of the lid.

It looks and works fine and should something unforeseen happen, I have only to replace the lid to bring the bike back to 'normal'.

I'll take some pictures in due course and put them in my album.

Incidentally, I also bought one of these in case I want to charge my phone or ipod in the cubby or plug in a GPS:

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/12v_twin_lighter_type_socket_adaptor/

Hope this is of use to someone.
Back to top Go down
midlandchip
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
midlandchip

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 11:16 am

Thanks MikeO. I was not aware that a surface mounted unit was available. If one goes with a surface unit it seems to me there are all sorts of options for how it could be used. I will copy your comments and take them to the guy who I have worked with in the past.

It's amazing the amount of information that is available on a message board like this.
Back to top Go down
ehaughn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ehaughn

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 7:45 pm

Doug,

Please send one to me as well.

Thanks

Waspie wrote:
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 5:03 am

Thank you!

Be aware that I used BMW/DIN plugs and socket for the external part, not cigar-lighter ones.
The plug that's on the inside to connect to the standard socket is a cigar-lighter one.
I prefer the BMW ones as they have a more positive register than the others.

I have these:

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/pro_car_12a_din_standard_plug/

But there are various types, some with fuses.

Don't get the ones with the red adaptor; the won't always fit.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 10:22 am

Waspie wrote:

OK,

Dennis, Bigbird and ehaughn, I have checked my manual and there is no reference to the power socket outlet in the glove compartment.

Tis is most likely due to the fact I sourced my manual from the States and as you know, US Silver Wings don't have the power outlet as standard.

Sorry to build any ones hopes up.

I did check pre 07, post 07 with and without ABS system schematics and it isn't mentioned anywhere.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 10:28 am

No problem, Doug.
I was curious, so my curiosity is still piqued.
Thanks for looking.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 11:56 am

bigbird wrote:
No problem, Doug.
I was curious, so my curiosity is still piqued.
Thanks for looking.

Bigbird, yourself, Dennis and Erick have a PM.

I think I have found one albeit in Deutch but its 4.9 mb and in pdf format.
Back to top Go down
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2012-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 9:04 pm

SWing2010 wrote:
Guys,

This simple install is for those who just want to charge their phones, and do not care for the mess of removing or having to work around the tupperware on the SWing. Items needed: 2 10 inch sections of 14 gauge wire, one with a 15 amp fuse block, each section with proper hoop connectors for the battery. Second, a Hopkins Towing Solutions Power management 12 volt power outlet. Third open seat, remove battery cover, then drill a .25 inch hole in the cover. Fourth, get the 2 sections of 14g wire, thread them through the battery cover, back of cover to front.

The power outlet has a red and white wire combo, shorten these wires, to about 5 inches, shorten the 14g wires to about 7 inches. Splice the outlet and battery wires together, hot to hot and ground to ground. Connect to the battery, hot to + (red wire), the other to the - terminal. The postive wire with the 15 amp fuse on it can be gently coiled up (the fuse block I used was small) and inserted in the left side of the battery. Making sure that your wires are gently coiled up, and not kinked, and that there are NO bare wires replace the cover.

The Hopkins outlet adheres to the battery cover via adhesive backing, it is very strong and firm. But you can use 2 small self tapping screws if you desire. This solution is not for those who want to power all of their gizmos, it is for those who want a power outlet, are not concerned with location. Anyway I am not an electrician, so use caution, and take all saftey precautions, like disconnecting the battery when you are working on the SWing.

Geeeeez,
Swing2010

You wouldn't happen to have a photo of this set up would you?
Back to top Go down
moosedaisy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2012-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 8:22 pm

Quick question. I ordered the Hopkins Towing Solutions Power management 12 volt power outlet and there seems to be plenty of wire to attach the fuse and run it into the battery box. If your attaching the power point to the battery cover why did you use the extra wire and cut the wire shorter from the power supply? I must be missing something.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 2:37 am

Bump
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It   Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Power Outlet, So Easy I Could Do It
Page 1 of 1