Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:09 am

» Drive belt prices
Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Conversation with a Burgman Owner.

Go down 
+2
jdeereanton
SWing2010
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SWing2010
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-07-24

Conversation with a Burgman Owner. Empty
PostSubject: Conversation with a Burgman Owner.   Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 1:34 pm

Folks,

Stopped by one of our local scooter haunts yeasterday, NoHo Scooters here in the LA area, and had a nice conversation with a Burgman 400 owner. He had recently switched from a Kymco Grandvista to the Burgman. He saw me pull up one the SWing and his jaw hit the ground.

His question to me was how far can I go on this thing, my politely sarcastic response was "anywhere I want to" he laughed. When the joking was done, we talked about the SW, and compared notes on the speed of the bikes, handling, the fit and finish. He has had the Burgman for only a while, and he already feels like buying another bike.

He had already looked at the SW, but felt that it was "too big", I told him that he would be pleasantly surprised. Out here in California there are a alot of SWings available, the place where I bought mine "Berts" has new ABS models for $6999. I was told by another dealer that the big dealers are picking them up at the dealer auctions for great prices.

Mike the owner of NoHo Scooters is doing well, he sells Buddy, Kymco, Sym, Royal Enfields. The Royal Enfields are a trip, they look like bikes from the 1950's era, but with all the modern dooohikies. I also saw the new Symba from Sym, it looks just like the old Honda Cub. Anyway my .02, Thanks, SWing2010
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Conversation with a Burgman Owner.   Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 8:35 am

I really like the look of the Royal Enfields. There is just so much to like from a simple style viewpoint. The throwback look with a little bit of modern technology makes this a bike on my "like to own list". http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/models/classic-c5.html

I see that they no longer have the sidecar option available and the older "military" models used to come with hard saddle bags that look like ammo cans. Finish on some of the used bikes I've looked at is sketchy and I've noticed quite a bit of surface rust on some, especially on the "chromed" surfaces.

I know this deviated from the Burgman conversation - sorry, just wanted to share some RE info.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Conversation with a Burgman Owner.   Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 8:39 am

Oh - my mistake they still offer one of the most beautiful sidecar kits ever assembled: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/custom_whitesidecar1.html
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Conversation with a Burgman Owner.   Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 9:38 pm

I have had both Burgman 400 ( 08) and SilverWing. Both are ok. Both new. I think Burgman is a little smoother in drive line, neither so great. Buffeting both have. Burgman cheaper, 2011 US market, ABS available....but not cheap. Both can run with modern traffic....and are scooters and that needs to be respected.

Royal Enfield---I had one new as Indian Woodsman 1957----shook itself apart. Maybe new ones are better but would be traffic blocker in modern traffic.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Conversation with a Burgman Owner.   Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 10:56 pm

Comparing a SW with a Bergy400 isn't really fair. The SW compares more closely to the Bergman 650 since both of them are two cylinder bikes with about the same amount of power. I could be happy with either one though I prefer the simpler drive system of the SW. I agree about the Royal Enfields, they look great but might not be too hot for serious riding on the roads of today. I had an Enfield some years ago... it was a .303 caliber bolt action version.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Conversation with a Burgman Owner.   Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 6:55 am

Royal Enfield?
Nah, buy a Ural! Laughing
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Conversation with a Burgman Owner.   Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 10:00 am

john grinsel wrote:
Royal Enfield---I had one new as Indian Woodsman 1957----shook itself apart. Maybe new ones are better but would be traffic blocker in modern traffic.
The idea that a 1957 model anything would be the sole influencing factor on me today is quite laughable. Hey wait, I'm a 1957 model.

Why would it be a traffic blocker? The look? The style? It is a 500cc thumper, I think it could move. I wouldn't consider taking it on the interstate for long periods of time, but it should be capable of short jaunts if necessary.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Conversation with a Burgman Owner.   Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 12:36 pm

They look so awesome I'm considering the 140 mile ride each way just to go see some in the showroom.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Conversation with a Burgman Owner.   Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 5:21 pm

I ride a K4 Burgman 400 (40,000 km.) and a K5 SilverWing (4,500 km.). Also have a K5 Big Ruckus and K5 Reflex in the stable.

Both the SW & Burg have lots of plusses and a also few minuses. Having owned and ridden 6 different scooters over the past several years, IMHO, I think the Burg 400 is about the best all around scooter on the road right now ... at least of the ones I've ridden.

Each scoot has it's trade-offs ... quickness and crusing speed, fuel economy, 2 up riding, cargo capacity, city flickability, rideability and driveability, weight etc. However, for me, even with the Burg's compromises, it hits the sweet spot.

Having said that, I am learning to appreciate the SW more each day and hope to love it as much as I have my Burg after I put some more mialge on it. ~ bugjr ~
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conversation with a Burgman Owner.   Conversation with a Burgman Owner. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Conversation with a Burgman Owner.
Page 1 of 1