Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby Boating123 Today at 6:48 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:08 pm

» Sinko De Mayo
Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Winter Mirrors

Go down 
+7
MikeO
Hammy
Sweendog
Waspie
dspevack
bigbird
john grinsel
11 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 4:36 pm

I rode to Pulaski VA on Tues--311 miles direct---cold, in 40's, wet, off and on rain.

So put on rain gear with feather jacket underneath and my darien pants. I don't like to get wet----then found out when you look like the Michelin Man all you see is your shoulders in the mirrors. Must have been designed by idiot who never rode.

This AM put my Honda CB750 mirrors on ----the ones that have been around since'69. Now I can see what is going on behind.

Return trip, the scenic route over 400 and was cold in the AM.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 5:28 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Must have been designed by idiot who never rode.
John Grinsel

I really think you should offer your services to Honda to help design their next replacement for the Swing.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 6:41 pm

I have actually done that-----1970's I lived in Nerima/Tokyo near Honda R & D center. Shock problem CD 250---the nice one with chain case. They took me in back door and came up with shocks that did the job from parts bin. Added to production.

Also I worked with Japanese Magazine--Auto-By---70's. Once wrote a road test of Honda CB750F, suggesting that the idiot who designed the horrible seat have it strapped to his butt for two weeks and he could come up with a more comfortable design at the same price point. Honda wanted to pull thier ads.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 7:23 pm

John,

You remind me of an old George Carlin line:
"Did you ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

The point being that in the attitude above, classifications of intelligence revolve around the perception of speed by the speaker, and like the attitude above, your classification of intelligence revolves around your perceptions and knowledge of bikes, and anyone who didn't think of something you did is an "idiot".

I get that you are set in your ways and apparently either think less of, or are completely intolerant of others' viewpoints, but each of us can only view things from our own perspectives and experiences, and by your standards, most of us on the board would be idiots.
Just because others do not see things the way you do does not make them, or us, idiots.
I have 5 college degrees, and I'm sure in some of my fields, your lack of knowledge could classify you the same way if I had your attitude.

And if you haven't noticed, you alienate people when you speak so degradingly of others.
Maybe I, and maybe others, think if you don't get this, you're an idiot?

Or maybe you just don't care what others think, but that can become mutual too.
You're here because you want respect for what you know, and maybe to learn what you don't...if there is in fact anything left for you to learn about bikes. By your attitude it doesn't appear so.
Respect is earned not by the accumulation of knowledge, but by the application and sharing of it in a positive and encouraging way, and putting people down on a regular basis isn't going to get it for you.

Don't know if anyone has ever told you this, but you come across as an extremely negative person.
Most people who aren't depressed don't want to be around negative people.
Its drains energy and turns around an otherwise positive day.
Gaining your knowledge at the cost of your negativity is just not a price that some
are willing to pay, and you will be more resented then revered.

Just my 02 cents. End of Rant

Dan
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 10:37 pm

I think the answer to Johns problem is simple.

Summer clothing - mirrors fine!

Winter clothing, (increased girth) - Summer mirrors - visibilty - poor.

So!!

Winter clothing - Fit Winter mirrors. Simple really.

We take the trouble to dress accordingly for the weather but make no compensation for the bike.

So who's the idiot!!!!!!! I suppose that would be Honda then!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Written with gallons of sarcasm! Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 12:34 am

They make perfectly well-insulated and waterproof gear these days that won't make you look like the Michelin Man. I wear it all the time when I ride in the winter. My mirrors function the same cold or warm.

Having said that, I've got the Reflex mirrors on my bike, and never had the stock mirrors. Lots of people find the stock setup too narrow. Of course, there is a very, VERY range of body sizes to try to fit, and the designers are cost-constrained, so I'd blame engineering and design limits, rather than idiocy for your issue.

*shrug*
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 1:17 am

Mirror extenders are less than $20 on ebay. But OH WAIT, they're not OEM!

All I have to say is that that some folks can ride 500,000 miles on 50 different bikes for 50 years and STILL have no bloody idea what it means to have humility, social skills, consideration or common sense. And there's people that ride 2 million miles over the course of 60 years and still have a damn good time and are super decent folks to have around. One guess who I'd rather talk to.

I'd like to think most of us are on here because we're interested in the Silver Wing, want to do more with our Swings, and share knowledge with each other and have fun doing so just as we much as we have on the road. I can appreciate a critical viewpoint and a devil's advocate but when it comes with narcissism, condescension, and arrogance, any credibility or value is lost on me. Nuff said on that matter; tis a waste of me time and energy.

Hey Sweeney, lemme know is you need the impact wrench or any help with your belt!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 5:48 am

But OH WAIT, they're not OEM!

And even that excuse doesn't wash - my mirror extenders are HONDA parts!

I've adapted my 'universal' Honda Silverwing to fit me using mainly Honda or Givi parts - not everyone needs the same size top-box or windscreen.

Thank goodness for individuality.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 8:00 am

MikeO wrote:
But OH WAIT, they're not OEM!

And even that excuse doesn't wash - my mirror extenders are HONDA parts!

For anyone interested the Honda OEM Mirror extender part#s are:

Adapter; 88111-MCT-000
Lock nut; 90314-MB6-000

You will need one of each PER MIRROR.

Dan
Back to top Go down

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 10:17 am

I'm afraid to look and see what the price of those are.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 10:55 am

DuggleBogey wrote:
I'm afraid to look and see what the price of those are.
Give in to your fear. You might be surprised.
Back to top Go down
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 11:09 am

Hammy wrote:

Hey Sweeney, lemme know is you need the impact wrench or any help with your belt!

Will do, Hammy! It will probably be around the beginning of our so-called winter. =) Because of the recent monsoon season here in the Delaware valley, and because we were getting our house up for sale (can you say cleaning/fixing/honey-dos out the wazoo?) I haven't been riding much for the last 4 weeks. I'm still sitting just under 15K miles, so it will likely be November before I need to put the new belt on.

Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 12:22 pm

dspevack wrote:
John,

You remind me of an old George Carlin line:
"Did you ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

The point being that in the attitude above, classifications of intelligence revolve around the perception of speed by the speaker, and like the attitude above, your classification of intelligence revolves around your perceptions and knowledge of bikes, and anyone who didn't think of something you did is an "idiot".

I get that you are set in your ways and apparently either think less of, or are completely intolerant of others' viewpoints, but each of us can only view things from our own perspectives and experiences, and by your standards, most of us on the board would be idiots.
Just because others do not see things the way you do does not make them, or us, idiots.
I have 5 college degrees, and I'm sure in some of my fields, your lack of knowledge could classify you the same way if I had your attitude.

And if you haven't noticed, you alienate people when you speak so degradingly of others.
Maybe I, and maybe others, think if you don't get this, you're an idiot?

Or maybe you just don't care what others think, but that can become mutual too.
You're here because you want respect for what you know, and maybe to learn what you don't...if there is in fact anything left for you to learn about bikes. By your attitude it doesn't appear so.
Respect is earned not by the accumulation of knowledge, but by the application and sharing of it in a positive and encouraging way, and putting people down on a regular basis isn't going to get it for you.

Don't know if anyone has ever told you this, but you come across as an extremely negative person.
Most people who aren't depressed don't want to be around negative people.
Its drains energy and turns around an otherwise positive day.
Gaining your knowledge at the cost of your negativity is just not a price that some
are willing to pay, and you will be more resented then revered.

Just my 02 cents. End of Rant

Dan

Dan, very eloquently stated.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 2:13 pm

1.And here I thought that the Swing was designed to be a one size fits all setup.
2. Just thought the mirrors were for looking at my ugly mug and not behind me.
3. I thought all along the Japanese had used an average sized person from Japan and built the scooter around him.
4. At 320 lbs wearing a size 62 jacket which is a little snug at the gut I just can't understand why the stock mirrors are not far enough apart to see behind me.
Now can some one explain why they didn't take all that into consideration, or is it just a bunch of idiots designed the machine I stake my life on every time I go for a ride. If thats the case I better scrap it out cause I wouldn't want something designed by idiots to endanger my life.
Craig small moped
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 2:15 pm

thomphoto wrote:
Dan, very eloquently stated.

Thank You, kind sir. :not worthy:
Back to top Go down
Jim Cater
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Jim Cater

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-04-20

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 9:40 pm

crahar wrote:
1.And here I thought that the Swing was designed to be a one size fits all setup.
2. Just thought the mirrors were for looking at my ugly mug and not behind me.
3. I thought all along the Japanese had used an average sized person from Japan and built the scooter around him.
4. At 320 lbs wearing a size 62 jacket which is a little snug at the gut I just can't understand why the stock mirrors are not far enough apart to see behind me.
Now can some one explain why they didn't take all that into consideration, or is it just a bunch of idiots designed the machine I stake my life on every time I go for a ride. If thats the case I better scrap it out cause I wouldn't want something designed by idiots to endanger my life.
Craig small moped

Craig -- you have learned well grasshopper!! study

Back to top Go down
http://www.gwrra.org
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 6:12 am

dspevack wrote:
Adapter; 88111-MCT-000
Lock nut; 90314-MB6-000

You will need one of each PER MIRROR.

Dan

Adapter, Mirror; 88111-MCT-000 - $13.33 each x 2 = $26.66
Nut, Lock; 90314-MB6-000 - $2.70 each x 2 = $5.40

http://www.servicehonda.com/look-up-parts/03

Plus shipping if it applies. You could take these prices to your local shop and let them match the price, they may. Most likely they will have to order the part as there is not a great demand.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 2:15 pm

I'm going to order them at Sloan's in Murfreesboro TN and go back to the stock mirrors. If they won't order them for me I'm sure Cool Springs Honda will do it.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 4:42 pm

DuggleBogey wrote:
I'm going to order them at Sloan's in Murfreesboro TN and go back to the stock mirrors. If they won't order them for me I'm sure Cool Springs Honda will do it.

I don't know which mirrors you are using right now, (I haven't been following), but if you are using the reflex mirrors, just put the reflex mirrors into your new adapters. Works great for me.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Jim Cater
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Jim Cater

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 5:10 pm

Got my box from DK 3 days ago, they look nice but haven't had time to install yet. Will get pics as I do this time. Need to go find the instructions for removing windshield cover first.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 7:30 am

RE: Mirrors

I think Dan (dspevack) once noted that Harley Davidson mirrors would work on the SilverWing. It was a post on www.silverwing.org

"The part has been out for a while apparently, but gone unnoticed (unneeded?). Kuryakyn part# 1445 is an adapter that allows you to use Harley Davidson mirrors on the Silverwing. The sheer variety of mirrors made for HD gives us all those additional choices. Many of the mirrors made for HD are chrome, for those interested."

It was a post by Dan, but if you are searching that site, do not use dspevack in the search parameters as Dan is personna non grata on that site.

I know this is not a Honda bashing post And, includes information that is not condescending and could be useful - my apologies.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 8:12 am

Dale,

I am Dan Spevack over there, and I am still allowed to post and receive emails and IMs from there. Occasionaly I even lurk to see if there is anything new exciting and different. I simply choose not to post there anymore.

They have maybe 3-4 topics a month that are not rehashing info already on the site, so its pretty boring over there.

As to not searching on my name, can you imagine how barren that site would be without my posts?
rolling laughter

That reminds me....Its been 3 days since this topic started.
Isn't JG overdue for a holyer-then-thou retort?
I would be very impressed with both him and myself if my reply to him worked the first time.
Back to top Go down
Jim Cater
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Jim Cater

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 8:36 am

I've seen Dan's posts on 'that other site', it's what reminded me of this one!
Don't remember who, but one of them had high praise for both Dan and Dennis. Frankly, don't give a ___________ [fill in your own] about any bickering, here for the mind melding that saves me time working and not trying to 'reinvent' the wheel.

Except for JG, stil waiting for him to show up in my driveway and give me riding pointers!! clown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Winter Mirrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter Mirrors   Winter Mirrors I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winter Mirrors
Page 1 of 1