Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Good to bad day I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:08 pm

» Sinko De Mayo
Good to bad day I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Good to bad day I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
Good to bad day I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Good to bad day I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Good to bad day I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Good to bad day I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Good to bad day I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Good to bad day I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Good to bad day I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Good to bad day

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Good to bad day Empty
PostSubject: Good to bad day   Good to bad day I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 11:14 am

I decided today was the day I would remove the covers from the transmission and check and clean if required.

The good news was it was nice and clean, I did observe some signs of the belt hitting the bottom of the casing. One other observation regarding the casing. It was showing signs of surface corrosion, not major but visible. Not surprising when you see where I live, surrounded by sea, well 320 degrees anyway.

Portland -

Good to bad day Pland2

The belt casing showing the slapping effect, dark colour at bottom.

Good to bad day SDC10777

I cleaned the covers and replaced them, whilst I was in the area I decided to give the rear wheel a spin to check it for wear and such. A couple of tiny silver dots, mmmmm, looks like the shank of a nail or such, checked them out, no problem just flecks caught in the rubber. Then I noticed a rusty coloured speck. Gave that a tiny prod with a screw driver and the tyre sealant started to ooze from it. Expletive at this point.

What to do? Do I leave it in and let the sealant do what its paid for or do I change the tyre?

I elected to change the tyre. Over 6k miles on it and it is looking like it's past its best. So a couple of phone calls and a new tyre will arrive on Friday. £66 fitted balanced etc. (£66 = $104US)

Then came the job of dismantling the rear wheel assembly. Which I did seconds before it started to precipitate!! Phew!

Good to bad day SDC10779

A big thanks to those of you that have posted pictorials and posted regarding the above subjects you really did help immensely in my work this morning.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Good to bad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good to bad day   Good to bad day I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 11:35 am

Waspie wrote:
A couple of tiny silver dots, mmmmm, looks like the shank of a nail or such, checked them out, no problem just flecks caught in the rubber. Then I noticed a rusty coloured speck. Gave that a tiny prod with a screw driver and the tyre sealant started to ooze from it. Expletive at this point.

It is a good thing you found this at home.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Good to bad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good to bad day   Good to bad day I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 5:03 pm

Waspie, that looks like a beautiful Island you have there. Looks like Florida floated out to see. Can you ride off of it or "ferry crooss the mercy"? I also found the pictoral for removing the rear tire to be real handy. Take care. Dick
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Good to bad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good to bad day   Good to bad day I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 5:10 pm

dickie wrote:
Waspie, that looks like a beautiful Island you have there. Looks like Florida floated out to see. Can you ride off of it or "ferry crooss the mercy"? I also found the pictoral for removing the rear tire to be real handy. Take care. Dick

Thanks Dickie, the top left inside the 'breakwater' is where the sailing part of the 2012 Olympics are taking place. The island is connected to the mainland by a small strip of land courtesy of Krakatoa!!!

The pictorial was actually better than the manual I found.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Good to bad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good to bad day   Good to bad day I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 5:06 am

Update.

Tyre arrived yesterday so that was fitted to the rim, Puncturesafe compound added and tyre pressure restored. Due to the atrocious weather and I had finished a lonnnnggggggg night shift I intended to put the rear of the 'Wing' back together this morning.

I have! It's all back in one piece and tested. Tonight when I commute to work that will allow the tyre to scrub in and the Puncturesafe to be distributed evenly around the tyre.

Apart from the time to wait for the tyre to be delivered not a long job at all.

I was going to install jumper on the side stand but the connector I acquired was too big, have to see what I can scrounge tonight.

Nice knowing I can use the 'Wing' tonight. I have been using the car for the last few days and with all the pre-olympic work on the roads a 23 mile commute is taking in excess of 90 minutes so getting the 'Wing' back on the road has been a bit of a priority. A sub 1 hour journey tonight I hope. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Good to bad day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good to bad day   Good to bad day I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good to bad day
Page 1 of 1