Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Just bought very low mileage S'wing

Go down 
+2
DaveR
ajay
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ajay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-09-18

Just bought very low mileage S'wing Empty
PostSubject: Just bought very low mileage S'wing   Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Silverwing, and new to the forum. Just pusrchased from original owner a '05 S'wing (abs) with only 680 miles. Bike had 600 mile service in '07. Tired show no rot, covered and garaged whole life, new Pep Boys battery (can't see manufacturers name), and idles smoothly.
Should I change the oil (has 2.5 years and 60 mile) - not sure about shelf life? What/where can I get fairing paint match to repair edge scratches (it;s the titanium color)? Any other advice?

Thanks , Ajay
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Just bought very low mileage S'wing   Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 12:59 pm

I took my 05 to a local body shop. He looked at the code and made me some touch up paint no problem. Matched it perfectly. The code was under the seat.
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Just bought very low mileage S'wing   Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 4:24 pm

If it was me, I would change the oil as a precaution. Cheap insurance, as they say.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Just bought very low mileage S'wing   Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 4:46 pm

Reading threads on here over the last few days I would also say check the belt out too.

With so little mileage and sitting around for years the belt may well have deteriorated.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Just bought very low mileage S'wing   Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 8:03 pm

Ajay,

Welcome to the site. I would change the oil and the final drive oil too. And like Waspie said, you should check your belt too while you are at it. Just check out the Pictorial section to do all this yourself and save yourself alot of money and time down at the shop. Welcome.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Just bought very low mileage S'wing   Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 9:40 pm

Welcome, Ajay! You might want to think about a brake fluid change (since the brake fluid absorbs some moisture even just sitting) and coolant change at some point (both are more just good preventative maintenance).
Back to top Go down
ajay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Just bought very low mileage S'wing   Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 7:36 pm

Thanks everyone, any suggestions for what oil, oil filters, and brake fluid, coolant?

Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Just bought very low mileage S'wing   Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 7:49 pm

There are plenty of posts related to oil and filters - do a site search and you'll be able to read every opinion under the sun Smile There's a post somewhere with all the oil filter cross references; many here use one of the WalMart SuperTech filters that fit (I think there are two).

I'm sure there are plenty of opinions floating around out there about which brake fluid or coolant is best, but anything that satisfies the Honda specs should be fine: DOT4 for brake fluid (I think the new DOT 5.1 NON-silicone is compatible, too), and silica-free coolant (the jug will list silica in the ingredients if it has it). I used Pretone coolant in mine, but again, just one possibility Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just bought very low mileage S'wing   Just bought very low mileage S'wing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just bought very low mileage S'wing
Page 1 of 1