Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Garmin Zumo 660

Go down 
+4
MaxB
KINN
JeffR
Ferrell
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ferrell
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ferrell

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Garmin Zumo 660 Empty
PostSubject: Garmin Zumo 660   Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 7:27 pm

I haven't actually received the Garmin 660 yet, but figured the installation to be a bit tricky. I'd like to get it up above the instrument panel. I've been using a Navigon 7310 in the car for about a year now. I look at it all the time. The scooter requires a good deal more concentration on the road than does the car. Does anyone have any experience at actually "looking at the screen" now and then?
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Garmin Zumo 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmin Zumo 660   Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 7:59 pm

I have DennisB mount with about a 3" riser I bought and it is a great addition and I have no problem looking down. I can just see over at all of the dash instruments. If you want yours higher than all of the dash instruments I think you would need one that is about 9-12" tall. But that is not my opinion. I can measure tomorrow how tall it should be so your gps is pretty high but I'm not sure if companies sell them this tall. And welcome to the site.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
KINN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-07-30

Garmin Zumo 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmin Zumo 660   Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 9:17 pm

DennisB is a regular contributor to this forum and he manufactures and sells an excellent custom mount for the Swing.

After receiving one of Dennis' mounts I bought the necessary RAM adaptors from: www.gpscentral.ca. They have choices for suitable extensions, etc. I have a 4 inch unit which works fine. Their service is very good. You'll find similar suppliers in the US.

While I can see my Nuvi 550 very well, I have to remind myself to not be distracted by it!

This is an excellent, helpful forum - welcome!

KINN

Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Garmin Zumo 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmin Zumo 660   Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 9:53 pm

My experience is that you look at it a LOT longer than you think.
Due to adrenalin rushes in the past I no longer LOOK at the tiny screen while in motion. It ain't the same as glancing at the speedometer.

Stop lights, pull offs , rest stops. and the occasioanl glance if there is NOONE in front of me on the Interstate for at least a MIle.

Mine talks directions, and MP3 player other wise it could be in a pocket or bag.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Garmin Zumo 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmin Zumo 660   Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 3:13 am

I do much the same as Jeff with my 660.
It's fine and if I'm going at a reasonable speed can hear the voice directions.
I'll wire it through my helmet speakers one day!
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Garmin Zumo 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmin Zumo 660   Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 12:15 pm

MaxB wrote:
My experience is that you look at it a LOT longer than you think.

I have GPS in two of my three cars. At first the tendency was to constantly check or stare the GPS ... I had to train myself when I could look at the GPS.

I just added a Zumo 660 GPS to my Silverwing about 2 months ago. If I am going to look at the the GPS, I only look for one specific item and for example distance to next turn and then quickly return my eyes ... just like glancing at the speedometer.

Because of the bright sunlight, I find that I may have to glance at the GPS a fraction longer. I may end up purchasing a Glarestomper ( http://www.glarestomper.com/320.html ) to reduce the glare and allow quicker glances.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Garmin Zumo 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmin Zumo 660   Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 3:14 pm

DennisB has some really great products, you might want to consider his plug & play wiring adapter vs. cutting into the harness. His custom silverwing ram mount is first class.

That being said. because of my eyesight I needed my GPS to be closer to me. I mounted mine on the left handlebar up high so it was in my lower peripheral vision while looking straight ahead. When the screen alerts of a turn or direction change I can see the alert then plan when it is safe to look at the screen. I have an older SP2810 it had the largest screen at the time (way before the Zumo family)

Garmin Zumo 660 Gps_cu2
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Garmin Zumo 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmin Zumo 660   Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 5:07 pm

Here is the way I mounted my older Garmin Etrex.
Attachments
Garmin Zumo 660 Attachmentgps2a.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(156 Kb) Downloaded 29 times
Garmin Zumo 660 AttachmentgpsA.jpg
(185 Kb) Downloaded 23 times
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Garmin Zumo 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmin Zumo 660   Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 5:22 pm

Here's the other photo of my GPS mount.
Attachments
Garmin Zumo 660 Attachmentgps1.jpg
(86 Kb) Downloaded 25 times
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Garmin Zumo 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmin Zumo 660   Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 5:35 pm

thomphoto wrote:

Another option would be a Larry Motorcycle brake reservoir double ram mount ( http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=8 ).
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Garmin Zumo 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmin Zumo 660   Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 6:01 pm

I've got the single one for my ipod. Smile
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Garmin Zumo 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmin Zumo 660   Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 8:34 pm

honda_silver wrote:
thomphoto wrote:

Another option would be a Larry Motorcycle brake reservoir double ram mount ( http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=8 ).

Yes, that looks nice, but mine didn't cost $25.95. Just a piece of scrap 1x1/8 metal bar.
Back to top Go down
Ferrell
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ferrell

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Garmin Zumo 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmin Zumo 660   Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 9:45 pm

I know it took awhile, but here's what I did. Thanks to Bill I decided on the brake reservoir ram mount. I got two singles and put one on each of brake reservoirs. I mounted the Garmin on the left one (left hand to operate as you ride) and on the right side I got a ram mounted camera platform. I am using the Canon Vixia HF S20 HD camera for both stills and videos. Added a polarizer filter to the camera to be able to shoot through the Givi 214DT screen without reflection. A wireless mic lets me tuck the mic inside the helmet next to the Sena SMH10 mic and describe the ride on video without any windnoise. I just turn it on when I leave the house and forget about it. I edit the video when I get home.

But back to the Garmin. Works great with the Sena SMH10 to hear directions in the headset. But control of music or other audio is not as convenient as it is with the iPhone. I had the Garmin wired to the ignition so that it's only powered externally with the engine on. I like this. But I have disabled the bluetooth so I can use my iPhone directly with the Sena. It's okay because the volume of the instructions is loud enough to hear over the noise of the scooter and whatever is playing in the headset via the iPhone. Just a glance down keeps me on track. I just wandered around for a couple of hours and then I tell it to take me home. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Garmin Zumo 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garmin Zumo 660   Garmin Zumo 660 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Garmin Zumo 660
Page 1 of 1