Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple

Go down 
+5
Opalsboy
dspevack
john grinsel
MikeO
bigbird
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple Empty
PostSubject: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 3:48 pm

I read on the Burgmanusa website of an imminent announcement of a 3 cylinder 950cc Burgman. Could be bogus or true, who knows.
If true, then Honda better put their best foot forward in
response.
A Silverwing 600GT in N. America just wouldn't cut it.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 4:18 pm

But why?
Neither the Burger or the S'wing is under-powered and neither is exactly economical in the fuel-consumption department.

If they're not careful they'll fall into the same trap as Piaggio with the GP800; lovely bike, indecently quick and astronomically expensive to keep on the road.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 4:28 pm

MikeO wrote:
But why?

Because they can?

A triple would not only be smoother than our parallel twin, but it would also sound better. Ever hear a triple 4 stroke at full tilt, as in a Triumph motorcycle or Yamaha snowmobile? Can't beat that sound.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 3:35 am

I had an o5 Yamaha 4 stroke triple ,it had a nice sound .That motor had a lot of torque .
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 5:43 am

950cc scooter? Too big, too expensive, complicated? Fuel?

Having owned triples- K 75 BMW, Geo Metro, Honda Beat 2 seater, they sound nice.

I think 350-400cc and easy on fuel is about limit for scooter. Want to go fast get zip bike.

We cannot really go fast in N America----I lived in Germany 20 years and know a little of fast.

John Grinsel

Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 6:23 am

I think their may be a place for a larger displacement scooter for one reason:

Take a look at the weight capacity of the Burgman or the Silverwing, and you will see that while it is acceptable for most couples around town, it is insufficient for two up touring, towing a trailer, or triking.

A silverwing can be a poor man's goldwing when it comes to touring. The range of aftermarket accessories to improve its performance, storage, and even towing capacity demonstrate that it lacks something owners desire.

In addition, the step thru design really helps the disabled, which seems to be a large part of the maxiscooter demographic. Both the inability to lift a leg over a regular motorcycle, and the inability to muscle around a large motorcycle are common complaints. I think for many disabled its either maxiscooters or trikes, (or a combo of the two) and a maxi is less expensive and more fun than a trike.

All of the above are logical reasons for a larger displacement scooter.
Of course logical motorcycle company management is like saying,
Military Intelligence, Jumbo Shrimp, found missing, definite maybe, same difference, or Microsoft Works.

Dan
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 10:49 am

To above comments-----if large displacement scooter comes out with eye to handicaps/overweights/trikers/sidecar----great but with proper Gearing/braking/steering, ok?

I guess I am handicapped----DA Vet/stroke/leg that doesn't work exactly right (but bikes are designed to be ridden feet up, so not an issue for me). I no longer have interest in owning 800 lb pig---garage wrestling and putting on lift alone kills me, especially since stroke. Scooters work for me at present, but not bigger.

I rode sidecar outfits for 40 years---not many modern (bikes) are designed for sidecar use---HD as their factory outfit (I had one new---really strong, weak engine), the Russians. Since MZ two strokes are gone and they were great outfits and some minor mods made them even better, but oh, did they suck gas loaded and driven wide open.

I do see need for faster scooter---tick off HD riders---My TMAX gave them hell at stop light----long after common sense had me slowing down with eye open for cops they---they would come by....lots of noise, pissed and sometimes lots of smoke. Now that is fun

John Grinsel

I am looking to next scooter as 250--still lots of fun.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 11:02 am

john grinsel wrote:
To above comments-----if large displacement scooter comes out with eye to handicaps/overweights/trikers/sidecar----great but with proper Gearing/braking/steering, ok?

John Grinsel

Don't look at me. I'm just hypothes-- hypethiz-- guessing.

I don't make the decisions. Last time I wrote a letter to Honda with regard
to suggestions for improvements, their lawyer wrote me back and requested
that I don't send any more suggestions, cause they don't want risk having to
pay me for a suggestion they came up with on their own.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 7:58 pm

john grinsel wrote:

I do see need for faster scooter---tick off HD riders---My TMAX gave them hell at stop light----long after common sense had me slowing down with eye open for cops they---they would come by....lots of noise, pissed and sometimes lots of smoke. Now that is fun

Finally something we both agree on.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 8:58 pm

John Grinsel wrote....

I do see need for faster scooter

I probably will never know how fast the Swing I have now will go.... I had the other one at 110 MPH once before my common sense took over and told me to get over this and slow down. I have no desire to go FAST now. I go to somewhere at speed that is comfortable for me.
If you are talking more speed at take off, I am confused about the "need" you are talking about.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 9:01 pm

For me more power would enhance acceleration. I can envision the face of a crotch rocket rider as you keep up with him pulling away from a traffic light.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 4:33 am

Being pedantic I think a quicker, not faster scooter is what's wanted.
The Silverwing is quite fast enough, being capable of over 100 MPH but better acceleration would be a bonus.

Back to Drag Racing; the faster car does not necessarily get to the finish first. A slower but quicker car has as much chance of winning.
Back to top Go down
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:22 am

john grinsel wrote:
... I am looking to next scooter as 250--still lots of fun.

John,

Try a Vespa GTS300 - they are fantastic Twisted Evil

I started with a Vespa ET-150 for my return to riding after I retired and it was good around town. The 300 is just brilliant. Its perceived lack of touring ability put me off when I got my 'Wing but I have met folks who own them and travel just as far as I do.

Back to the original post; Gilera has a good looking 800 twin but so far it has not gone on sale in Australia. IMHO, a much better tourer than the Burgman (Burgmans are good but I don't like all the gizzmos and do-dads - just more things to go wrong).

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.caseysbeach.com
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 2:35 pm

I like my SW. No Complaints. But...

... I'd pay up forthe following;

1. Just a little more power.
2. Less vibration
3. Bigger wheels
4. And as I realized reading this thread, better sound from the engine.

So therfore, I fantasize of the New 2012 Honda Silver Wing 750! Triple four stroke engine, 17-18" wheels, ABS, Built in Nav and Bluetooth. 45 mpg, MSRP $9995.
Back to top Go down
http://www.windycitylaser.com/flying.htm
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 2:51 pm

MSRP $9995? That is a fantasy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 4:05 pm

I am looking at Vespa---I think the 250 is done and 300cc will be base.

Although I am/was motorcyclist---I always or most always, had Vespa on side since about 1968---Just like them.

For US market they have priced themselves a little high, but I sure like the availability of front luggage rack, flat floor( a case oof beer should fit no tie down to get home)
Gas tank is too small---requiring spare can if you are away from gas stations. Surely they are not as reliable as Japanese-----but not a lot of plastic to take off. I have heard valve adj requires lowering engine.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 8:13 pm

skiwoods wrote:
...So therfore, I fantasize of the New 2012 Honda Silver Wing 750! Triple four stroke engine, 17-18" wheels, ABS, Built in Nav and Bluetooth. 45 mpg, MSRP $9995.
Sounds like a Honda DN-01 to me cyclops

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.caseysbeach.com
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 2:47 am

bigbird wrote:
For me more power would enhance acceleration. I can envision the face of a crotch rocket rider as you keep up with him pulling away from a traffic light.

I have 26g Sliders -- I've even impressed my buddy on his 2300cc Triumph Rocket III blasting past him on the turnpike!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 4:27 am

"Gilera has a good looking 800 twin"

Looks good, fantastic ride but a nightmare to maintain - friends who bought them in the UK are selling them and replacing with Silverwings and Burgers.

They eat chains and sprockets - these cost shedloads of cash to replace - and they suffer from Piaggio electrics although not as badly as the X9s.

I have ridden one and it was fantastic but I wouldn't want to own one, even if it was given me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple   Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rumours of a 950cc Burgman Triple
Page 1 of 1