Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Helmet Use Requirement (by State)

Go down 
+4
DennisB
jdeereanton
joncallihan
billc.
8 posters
AuthorMessage
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Helmet Use Requirement (by State) Empty
PostSubject: Helmet Use Requirement (by State)   Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 9:49 am

Here is the current listing by state of requirements for helmet use on vehicles.

www:iihs.org/laws/helmetusecurrent.aspx

I thought this was interesting both for general knowledge, insurance purposes, and for travelling between states on trips.

I wonder if cyclists using helmets in States where it is not required are looked on as "strange" by the cycle community in those states, and I wonder what percentage of riders in those "unhelmeted" States actually ride with helmets.

Whatever you do, Ride safe...billc.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Use Requirement (by State)   Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 10:27 am

Billc,
I've been riding in an "unhelmeted" state since mid 1967 WITH a helmet BY CHOICE, both off and on the road.

The only time that I've ridden without a helmet was during my "observed trials" period -- almost always in the lower three gears (max about 15mph) off road.

I don't know if the "unhelmeted population" think me strange or not -- I DO think THEY are.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Use Requirement (by State)   Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:25 am

We've ridden once without helmets (Minnesota) - We did not enjoy the sensation, didn't necessarily feel less safe.

Alabama is a helmet required state. When we travel we wear the helmets irregardless of the local legal situation.

There is no empirical evidence (data) regarding loud pipes saving lives, yet the loud pipes crowd are generally first in line bemoaning helmet requirements. Plenty of unbiased data can be found that tends to indicate (objective analysis [not feelings]) that helmet usage does save lives.

Crap - that ought to get me some eggs and tomatoes Helmet Use Requirement (by State) Fresse .
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Use Requirement (by State)   Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 12:44 pm

Dale,

A few more item's on your list of thrown item's and you can make a GREAT omelet.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Use Requirement (by State)   Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 1:43 pm

While you are making your omelet, go to this website and read this whole article including the statistics on full vs open vs half helmet injuries. There is a lot of good information here. Its amazing Dale that people will ride helmetless, with little or no medical insurance, and still expect us to provide care for them for perhaps the rest of their life at no cost to them....billc.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Use Requirement (by State)   Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 1:44 pm

Getting old....forgot to leave the site: www.vehiclevibes.com/2010/05/importance-of-motorcycle-helmets/
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Use Requirement (by State)   Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 2:39 pm

I live in Texas use my helmet all the time, three weeks ago was getting ready to go too church put the helment on and stepped out the back door, my daughters cat ran under my foot as I stepped I fell about four feet to the ground and was saved from a nasty crack on the head. Didn't help my hips or back and neck they're still giving me a fit (I weigh 320lbs). Without the helmet I would have had a bigger head ache.
Craig
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Use Requirement (by State)   Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 8:17 am

Wow, I expected a bit of animus (too strong a word, but I couldn't think of a gentler one) on this topic. Glad to see we are a safety minded crowd.

Craig, glad you didn't suffer a concussion. More evidence that guys shouldn't have cats around them. If the helmet hit hard, you might want to consider replacing it. I have not researched it, but have heard that if a helmet takes a good hit - it should be replaced. I do know that insurance companies will replace your helmet if you are in an accident and the helmet makes contact with the ground of any other object.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Use Requirement (by State)   Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 12:06 pm

I live and ride in Colorado - a no helmet required state. The local law requires that children riding with you must wear a helmet, but as an adult I am not require to. I have only gone helmetless once or twice and like you said Dale, it just didn't feel right. In really hot weather I wear a half helmet and when it is cooler I wear a full face. Just looking at other riders on the road it seems like about half of them wear helmets and it seems like most of the helmetless riders I see are riding Harleys, so go figure.

From what I have seen, I am not surprised that most of the people on this site would be in the group of riders that wear helmets and after reading about what happened to Craig, I am thinking that I should wear one while I am on the back porch... Laughing
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Use Requirement (by State)   Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 1:03 pm

I live in Illinois, which does not have any kind of helmet law. I have to admit that I wear a helmet just about half the time. I enjoy my ride better without one. The helmet I own is a half helmet or skull cap. I have disability insurance, I am at the point where I'm worth more dead to my wife than alive, so I promise not to be a burden to society if something goes wrong. I'm glad I have the choice. If the law changes, I will follow the law...
Back to top Go down
http://www.windycitylaser.com/flying.htm
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Use Requirement (by State)   Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 3:48 pm

Well, living in the UK I have no choice if I don't want to fall foul of the law.

The law has been in force ever since I have been riding so I really don't know any different. I don't know if I would like to ride without a lid to be honest but that is probably due to never having ridden bare headed.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Use Requirement (by State)   Helmet Use Requirement (by State) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Helmet Use Requirement (by State)
Page 1 of 1