Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Yesterday at 3:43 pm

» noise under load
Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars

Go down 
+2
JeffR
edbancro
6 posters
AuthorMessage
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars Empty
PostSubject: Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars   Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 8:46 pm

I don't have any pictures yet, but I wanted to post my experiences with a couple of products I just installed:

First is the Amperite Head-Alert headlight modulator (purchased from JC Whitney). I wanted a modulator, but didn't want to spend $70-$100 on one - this one ended up being about $40 for the modulator and a switch. It wasn't quite plug-and-play (had to cut one wire), but it could have been had I used an extension on the headlight connector (which is what I wanted to do, but I couldn't find one locally, and it would have run up the cost too much to order one). The only bad/not-quite-legal part about it is that it doesn't automatically shut off at night (hence the need for the switch to manually shut it off). I haven't had a problem remembering to turn it off since when it starts to get dark I can see the modulating light reflecting off street signs in front of me and that reminds me to turn it off (and it would almost impossible to try to drive with it modulating once it got really dark). If you're willing to run a not-completely-legal product, then I'd recommend it.

I also just installed a pair of Custom Dynamic's Knight Riderz LED bars (the 12 led version). I wanted to space them out to hopefully make the back of the bike look bigger, so I mounted one (red lens) under the license plate, and another (red leds but smoked lens) under the wing on a bracket I made out of ABS plastic. Used Posi-Tap connectors to tie into the brake and running lights. I'm quite pleased with the result: they're quite bright, and definite make the bike more noticeable from behind (especially at night).

Here's the full rear view (with the running lights on):

Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars Dsc02210

And a few close-ups:

Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars Dsc02211

Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars Dsc02212

Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars Dsc02213

Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars Dsc02214

Last edited by edbancro on Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars   Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 11:02 pm

Ed,

Thanks for the post. I have been meaning to get the LED bars for mine but just seem to be lazy lately. I do my maintenance but just don't seem to take on projects during the winter months. Probably since I can ride all year. How long do you think it took you to install the LED bars? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars   Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:42 am

It took me about 4 hours all together, but that included making the bracket for the one under the wing, drilling out the mounting holes in the wing in anticipation of my next project (I want to build a passenger backrest/saddle bag mount/luggage rack out of uhmw plastic), and not wiring things up right because I made assumptions instead of reading the wiring diagram carefully. I also wanted try to install everything without drilling any holes, so I ended up making a small mounting plate for the one beneath the license plate, which added to the time. So, it probably could have been done differently and taken about an hour or so. But, I'm still pretty happy with the result. I'll try to get some pictures/video posted eventually.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars   Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 8:44 pm

I really think headlight and brake light modulators are an excellent safety feature. I've got them on my Goldwing and need to put them on my Silverwing as well. At least on the Silverwing people won't be so prone to pull off the road ahead of me thinking I'm a cop. The GW with it's antennas confuses some folks.
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars   Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 6:22 pm

[Pictures added - see above.]
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars   Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 4:33 pm

JeffR wrote:
Ed,

Thanks for the post. I have been meaning to get the LED bars for mine but just seem to be lazy lately. I do my maintenance but just don't seem to take on projects during the winter months. Probably since I can ride all year. How long do you think it took you to install the LED bars? Thanks.

I put the same light in the lower position only a few months ago. I drilled one small hole through the fender underneath the license plate, used piggyback clips for the wiring and did the job in 20-30 minutes. If you remove the side panel instead of working through the access door in the trunk, it makes it much easier.

It stands out very well and is well worth the $25 in my opinion.

Philip
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars   Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 4:53 pm

What does the modulator do?
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars   Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 4:59 pm

It makes the headlight flicker. It is very good at drawing attention from car drivers.

It would annoy you if it continued to flicker when its dark. Thats why it should only be attached to the high beam in most cases.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars   Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Most modulators come with a light sensor to cut the modulator off when it is dark outside so the high beam can be used at night.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars   Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Headlight modulator and Knight Riderz bars
Page 1 of 1