Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Sun May 05, 2024 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring'

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' Empty
PostSubject: Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring'   Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 8:03 am

Hello Folks,

Been doing a bit of armchair exploring and I've found these two websites.

http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/home.do

http://www.gpsies.com/home.do
Both websites allow you to register for free (register to download files).

They allow you to download routes so that you can view them with Google Earth. You can also download the files to use in various SatNav (GPS) and map formats. I downloaded a route in France (Route des Grandes Alpes) which has over twelve hundred points on it. TomTom .itn files allow a maximum of forty eight points. Using POIEdit (freeware) I reduced it to twenty five points so (basically by taking every fiftieth point). So I then had an .itn file that was usuable on the TomTom.

If you don't want all the hassle of converting stuff they do give you the chance to see the route before riding it. Make sure 'Terrain' is clicked in Google Earth so you can see how hilly / steep the route is.

(Armchair Exploring - you never get caught out in the rain and the coffee is always made how you like it). Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' Icon_biggrin

Hope this is of some use to someone. Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' Icon_smile

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring'   Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 11:30 am

Cool. does OZ too
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring'   Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 2:55 pm

Apparently the site owners tried to avoid including OZ as it may benefit the criminal element in that country who could find 'getaway routes' but it was finally decided that it maybe of use to the couple of hundred people who live there who aren't criminals. Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' Icon_rolleyes

p.s. You have posted some excellent jokes. Assumed therefore you have a sense of humour.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring'   Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 10:15 pm

Well "burner"... heh - heh - heh ... I thought it was very funny Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' Icon_lol Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' Icon_lol Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' Lol (no malice intended)
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring'   Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:31 am

As the weather turns a bit nasty and only a few have the luxury (or necessity) of continuing to ride - the mind turns toward the next season.

I like Armchair Exploring - the links in this post are helpful.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring'   Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 4:35 pm

Shame that Wikiloc site doesn't seem to show 'back' roads. I'd sure love to see an altitude profile of the Trans Labrador Highway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring'   Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring' I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finding New Routes - 'Armchair Exploring'
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Riding :: Rides and Stories-
Jump to: