Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing

Go down 
+2
Erdoc48
JayJBham
6 posters
AuthorMessage
JayJBham
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2021-01-04

Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing   Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 1:35 pm

Hi Guys,

This is my first post on this forum, so hope this goes well.

I have a 2003 Honda Silverwing FJS600-2 that been a godsend to me. However, since I owned the bike I have only ever had 1 key with it.

I'm not sure how its happened but the other day I noticed that the key was slightly bent. Over the past few months I have been having trouble with it turning the barrel to start the bike and sometimes it would only go in one way.

As it was slightly bent, I thought I'd put it on some concrete and tap it with the hammer to straighten it out - I know that you're probably going to tell me I shouldn't of done that, but hey ho.
I'm now at a stage where I can't turn on the ignition to the bike at all. The bike is safe and locked away in my garage, however its a real ball ache being without it as its my only way of commuting to and from work.

Today, I have visited a local Auto Locksmiths (https://www.duplikeys.co.uk/) in the hope of getting a replacement key cut.
They advised me that the key is damaged and they would attempt to try and copy it but it may not work due to the damage of the original key. They cut me a brand new key and also put the HISS chip into the newly copied key.

Got back to the garage to try the new key and still no luck. Key goes in but won't turn it. Tried also the key on the seat lock and the glove compartment but to no avail.

I am now in a bit of a pickle with what to do now. Somehow I need a key cut from the locks on the bike. I don't know if there is any damage to the barrel on the ignition of the bike, but prior to these problems the key was fine and unlocking underseat storage, glove compartment, petrol cap as well as main ignition for the bike.

If the barrel is damaged somewhat, would it be possible to create a key from the lock on the glove compartment, in the hope that it would turn the ignition ?

I have contacted my local Motorcycle Shop (Redline Motorcycles based on Bristol Road South, Longbridge, Birmingham) and they have advised that a complete lock set and CDI Unit would be needed, however Honda no longer supply these. DAMN !

I have done a search online and cannot find one at all for my year of motorcycle.

The only one I can find is for a 2011-2016 Silverwing.
https://www.125parts.co.uk/products/honda-fjs600-silverwing-2011-2016-matching-lock-set-with-cdi-key

I am not mechanically minded at all and have not got a clue when it comes to things like this. I dont want to purchase the above and find out it dont work on my bike, which is alot older.

Could anyone suggest what to do please, or do they know of any Auto Locksmith's who would be able to have a look at it for me.

Would it be be cheaper and easier to get a working key for it rather than to replace the whole lock sets.

I am based in B32 area of Birmingham. Right adjacent to 'Frankley Services' on the M5 Motorway.

Any help much appreciated, as I am in right mess with it especially with needing it to get to and from work at unsocialble hours.

Thankyou
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing   Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 5:10 pm

I was under the impression that a locksmith could basically ‘reverse engineer’ a key based on the tumblers of a lock, so if a key is lost, they could make one that will work without having the original available- it would require them having the bike for access to the lock cylinders. Having the broken key should be helpful, to a degree, so that they have a basic idea of what the OEM key looks like- once you have one made, have a few copies made- I generally have 3-4 keys for each vehicle I have. In the US (and I would assume in the UK as well), there’s mobile key cutting services (and they have the cutting tools and all the key blanks right in the van. I used one in the past and they did excellent work.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing   Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2024 3:45 am

As Erdoc says it might be worth calling out a mobile locksmith so he can try his witchcraft on it. It might be something as simple as the new key being a bit too short.
Either way just be aware you will be paying the locksmith for the hours he's there, not the key cost
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing   Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2024 5:21 am

I'm clutching at straws but have you tried NOT pushing in the key 'to the hilt'?
I've had front-door keys cut too far down the shank but will work if pulled out a hair's breadth.
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2018-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing   Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2024 7:07 pm

well you could break the lock with a screwdriver and then the key would turn and the hiss would not allow the scrotes to start the bike and run.

ignition locks also wear so a bit of wd40 might help

you always need a spare key so lesson learned

personally i would goback to honda for a key or buy a lock key set off ebay but hang on the hiss is coded to the engines bla k box so you would also need a new ignition box .......mmmmmm the other soluton is to tie the old key to the hiss antenna

yes when the swing is working ita s dream but when not its a pita

peace
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing   Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2024 8:16 am

cello33 wrote:

yes when the swing is working ita s dream but when not its a pita

peace

Another lesson learned is thank God the US doesn't use the HISS!!!
Scooters rarely get stolen over here except in college towns... Now Harleys are a different story! Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing   Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Damaged Key for Honda FJS600 Silverwing
Page 1 of 1