Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Vinyl wraps? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Vinyl wraps? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Vinyl wraps? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Vinyl wraps? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Vinyl wraps? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Vinyl wraps? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Vinyl wraps? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Vinyl wraps? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Vinyl wraps? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Vinyl wraps? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Vinyl wraps?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2022-04-17

Vinyl wraps? Empty
PostSubject: Vinyl wraps?   Vinyl wraps? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2023 10:54 pm

Has anyone recently done or seen a vinyl wrap on a Silverwing?

My dark blue 2006 is in decent shape but the older prior owner dropped it at least once on each side on his gravel driveway and the touch up work looks really bad. 

I’m thinking of getting it wrapped. I’ll probably just go close to OEM dark blue color but with some white accents. 

How well do these newer vinyl wraps hold up? Any idea how long?
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

Vinyl wraps? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl wraps?   Vinyl wraps? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2023 8:24 am

Vinyl wrap I believe has a life of ~ 7 years (maybe 5 years outdoors)- it also depends on who is doing the work- the Silverwing has a lot of complex curves to it and wrapping it (albeit possible) may be a bit difficult for whoever is doing it. Given the choice between wrap and paint, I would choose paint and have a pro do it. Where on the bike is the paint damage? Main fairing or the lower covers? Or the back sides? I have replaced my fairing in the past (was able to get a new one and the left lower side cover) due to damage to these panels from a zero speed drop from the prior owner (also replaced the panel where the compartments go). I use a painter, Bryan (BDscycles.com) that painted my 94 ST1100 and he did custom graphics as well. He’s in Lancaster SC, so he came and took the bike, tore it down, repainted and reassembled it (as well as powder coated the wheels)- for painting body panels, I would assume it would be less expensive and you can mail the parts for refurbishment.

Vinyl wraps? Img_1810

^^ This is the work he did on the ST (and he took my hard top and painted that as well). You could also scope out a motorcycle paint shop near you.
Back to top Go down
welshman in canada
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2023-09-03

Vinyl wraps? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl wraps?   Vinyl wraps? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2023 11:48 am

You may want to look at a company such as Vinyl Frog (vinylfrog.com) Lots of useful information there to help you make a decision
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Vinyl wraps? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl wraps?   Vinyl wraps? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2023 1:03 am

he came and took the bike, tore it down, repainted and reassembled it (as well as powder coated the wheels)- for painting body panels, I would assume it would be less expensive and you can mail the parts for refurbishment. wrote:

Vinyl wraps? Img_1810

^^ This is the work he did on the ST (and he took my hard top and painted that as well). You could also scope out a motorcycle paint shop near you.
That I think is a better option than a wrap. 

I’m getting quotes of $600 to $800 locally for a wrap. I wonder how that compares to having it painted.
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Vinyl wraps? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl wraps?   Vinyl wraps? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2023 1:06 am

I don’t have any good close ups and I’m shut in right now with a mild case of Covid, but here’s images I cropped from larger photos of where the problem areas are:
Vinyl wraps? Img_2410
Vinyl wraps? Img_3010
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

Vinyl wraps? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl wraps?   Vinyl wraps? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2023 6:38 am

Unfortunately in your pics, it’s a little difficult to see the paint defects. That said, if small enough, are they even worth correcting? I have a few on mine despite replacing some of the body panels (a touched up area each on the rear side panels that have the Silverwing emblem, and on the right lower cover (again, from the prior owner that had a 0 speed drop(s) in his garage when he owned it). I guess they bother me a little, but not enough to make me get them painted. We all like our bikes perfect (I know I do) as possible but then I have to weigh the financial cons of the paint repair vs the benefit. If it bothers you enough and is financially worth it, you can get the work done. As I can’t really see the defects in your pics, I likely wouldn’t bother, because it’s a potential hassle to remove your front cover and send it or bring it somewhere for a repaint.

One more thing…you recently had the drop overnight with the bike parked (and apparently no damage at the time). Get it repainted and spend some $$$ on it and if it falls, it’s going to drive you nuts. Unfortunately this is the reality of 2 wheelers. On the STs, they have little tip over guards that prevent the bodywork from getting damaged and I wished they incorporated something similar on the Silverwing.

That’s just one opinion, however…

As for paint vs wrap, I suspect the costs will be more or less the same, so I’d opt for paint.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Vinyl wraps? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vinyl wraps?   Vinyl wraps? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vinyl wraps?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing-
Jump to: