Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello everyone

Go down 
+4
Loosemarbles
GHM-PM
JohnyC
Ty1967
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ty1967
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2023-08-11

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 10, 2023 6:05 pm

Hi folks, I just passed my full license and I'm so happy, I'm on my beautiful Siliverwing and it's amazing to ride her, now I'm looking for all the accessories that I need for her lol. Anyway I just wanted to say hello and hopefully chat to some other Silverwing riders...
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2022-12-23

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 10, 2023 7:40 pm

Welcome to the Forum Ty1967.

Big Gratz on your full license. Now you get to wear the cheesy grin with pride, while out for a ride!

Make friends with the search bar for all things Silverwing. Key words work best I find.
Delve into the Silverwing Modding section.

"So! what bis rydin" year, colour, milage, Maintenance? any mods like Heated Grips(a must for the UK).

Be safe, be seen!

99 Suzuki Burgman AN400 with a few mods.
09 Honda Silverwing FJS600 with a lot more mods.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2023 6:12 am

Welcome Ty! I hope you enjoy your time here on the forum!
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2023 3:15 pm

Welcome ty1967. I hope you will enjoy the forum as much as your Silverwing.

It would be interesting to know why you chose the SW. Do you have a history of Scooters before passing your test? How long have you been riding etc.? Whatever the case, if you can't find what you need using the search bar above, feel free to ask. Most of us here have been there, seen the film and got the T-shirt!

Back to top Go down
Leinees66
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2023-11-26

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Greeting from Palm Bay Florida!!!   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2023 9:47 am

Picked up a 2009 Swing with 46k in miles a few weeks ago. It's in immaculate shape and he had every single maintenance record ever done on it since 2015. Biggest bike I've ever rode. Take riding very serious and always leave myself an out. Florida isn't the safest place to ride. A lot of people in a super hurry.

Glad to meet you all. Look forward to perusing this forum. I like to do my own maintenance and from what I've seen on here, you've done it all. I changed the oil last weekend to get a baseline. I think the drive belt is due to be changed but I've also been told to leave it alone unless it starts squealing. I'll look for advice on here. Thank you all for your help and support!!
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2023 10:36 am

Congrats on the new SWing! I would try to find out when the belt was last changed (if you’re under 16-20K miles on the belt you’re good)- if you really are not sure, I wouldn’t wait until it’s squealing, I would just change it out, then don’t worry for 16-20K miles- you don’t want the belt to break on a ride as your bike is disabled then. And don’t buy a cheap eBay special either- get an OEM one or a GBoost belt.

I knew nothing of scooter maintenance (only owned motorcycles with regular transmissions) and over time have found this a pretty easy bike to learn and work on.
Back to top Go down
Leinees66
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2023 10:59 am

Thanks for the quick response. I checked the maintenance logs and it looks like the belt was changed at 18k and nothing since. It's got 46.5k on it now so definitely needs a new belt. I called the local honda dealership and the kid was brand new and had no idea what they would charge me. I called another shop and he said if I'd bring the part they'd do it for $65 an hour. Not sure how long it would take but both the mechanics are honda technicians. I'd like to do it myself but will probably let them do it and hopefully be able to watch and learn. Not sure what it would be like. My last little scooter never made is past 3k in miles. You get what you pay for. Thanks again for the advice. I'm definitely going to get the belt changed
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2023 11:07 am

https://youtu.be/WUcLb7nfJIs?si=SJqSR5kyTKhpa6BR

Check that link- that’s the how to for the belt replacement (I never use an impact wrench to tighten by the way like this guy does)- if doing it yourself, you can buy the Honda tool like I did (like $35) to hold the variator in place or make one like many have done (instructions on this site). You need basic tools and a torque wrench to do it properly, but while you’re in there, it may be good practice to clean the variator and maybe change the rollers to sliders (if you want to do so for better acceleration) or just to make sure the rollers haven’t ‘flat spotted’. I did a belt replacement as one of the first maintenance items and it was very straightforward (never having done one in the past)- I believe it took me ~ 1 hour to do it, but a shop will likely charge for 2 hrs. The belt isn’t cheap, maybe $150 these days just for the part, but swap it out and ride on. Also, while everything is off the bike, change the rear drive fluid (also an easy job, and although it can be done with the plastics on the rear drive, you won’t get the oil on the plastic if it’s all removed). It all depends on how comfortable you are doing this kind of work (not that I don’t trust mechanics, it’s just that I do a little extra while in there vs just swap the part and close it all back up).

Here’s the amazon link for the belt:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091FY7NDN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The GBoost seems to be out of stock now but the Honda OEM part number is there if you’re going OEM on the belt

Here’s one more link: the cheapest I found it

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/p/honda/23100-mct-003/belt-drive

$138 for the belt is a very good price
Back to top Go down
Leinees66
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2023 12:02 pm

Wow! Thank you so much. I called the local Honda dealership and it would be $325 for the belt and $80 to flush and replace coolant. I watched a YouTube video and like you said, it looks pretty straight forward. I have no tools yet so I appreciate the heads up on what to buy. Changing rollers to sliders?? Is that also straight forward? I tore down a Chinese scooter 3 times and put it back together with a little trial and error and a lot of patience. Yes, Partzilla quoted me $183 plus tax for the OEM Honda belt. So your find is definitely cheaper. Thank you again. I definitely appreciate your time and respect your experience. Joseph
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2023 12:09 pm

No worries: to change the coolant is VERY easy, as the drain plug is on the left side of the bike under the lower cover (body colored) and the fill point is accessed via the right storage bin of the upper fairing (easy to remove, just pinch a hair and pull up). Easy to do. As for $325 for the belt, that’s likely $180 for the belt and the remainder for labor. Unless you mean $325 for labor for the belt which is a bit much.
As for sliders, there’s a lot of variables here- I use 26 gram Dr. Pulley sliders and am very happy with the increased performance.
Back to top Go down
Leinees66
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2023 12:30 pm

Yeah, that included labor. I watched the video you sent and I think I can definitely do it myself. I’ll finds a video on how to swap the rollers with the sliders. I’ll buy the tools necessary to do the work and will have them for the future. I absolutely love this bike. It just purrs along. It’s the biggest and heaviest I’ve ever rode so I’m being hyper vigilant when it comes to riding safety. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Thank you again.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2023 12:34 pm

One more: 07AMB-MCTA100 - HOLDER, DR PULLEY

That’s the Honda OEM tool for holding the pulley, but you can make your own with some strip steel (I bought the Honda tool)
Back to top Go down
Leinees66
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2023 12:35 pm

I’ll buy the tool as well. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2023 3:28 pm

I have no doubt you could do this work. The majority of us on this site have been able to change the belt quite easily. Also, it will save you quite a bit of money. This is a fairly easy bike to learn.
Back to top Go down
Leinees66
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Thank you   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2023 4:50 pm

I feel the same. Doing just the belt will save me $265 dollars. And my roommate has all the tools I'll need to do the job. He even has all the sockets and impact drill. So it should be an easy fix with the two of us doing UT together. Appreciate the response. I'll let you know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2023 10:05 am

Welcome both Leinees66 and Ty, and enjoy your scoot while coming to this site for helpful information. I'm on my fifth Silverwing and can't see anything better to replace it with.
Back to top Go down
Leinees66
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2023 11:26 am

Thank you!! My experience has been amazing thus far. Will learn to take very good care of it. Great forum...very helpful.
Back to top Go down
Leinees66
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2023 1:25 pm

Links for sliders and tool disappeared. Can you repost them? Thank you.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-26

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2023 9:38 pm

Leinees66, at 46K miles there's possibly going to be more maintenance and/or parts required than just installing a new belt, the whole CVT system, etc., should be disassembled/inspected/lube/etc., not to say fluids that should be replaced, etc. Wish you were closer to my home in Ocala, I would gladly help you go thru it. I have plenty of tools and parts for SW600 on hand. A search of my post will show I've done just about everything to a SW600. Just a suggestion. Good Luck!!
Back to top Go down
Leinees66
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2023 8:36 am

Thanks for the offer. I plan on replacing the belt, rollers with sliders, rear oil, coolant flush and lubing the throttle cables. Let me know what else I should consider. Have you lubed your cables before? Any pointers would be appreciated. If I decide it's too much, I'll make the ride to Ocala. Joe
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2023 12:15 pm

" If I decide it's too much, I'll make the ride to Ocala. Joe ", You are more than welcome to come up, I'll be more than happy to help you get it squared away, KIM that the kind of service I will do/suggest is a several days affair, Just like to recover cost of any parts or expendables, etc. The SW600 cvt is very though/durable, but the correct service would require a complete teardown, etc., look at pic below. IME experience the part that shows most wear and could probably cause a major failure on high mileage SW600 is the seal collar/spring seat, is circled in pic. BTW. I usually lube cables every 2-3 years with special tool and a short burst of silicone or cable lube spray.

This fairly long discussion thread on my old bike site(ZRX1100), has a lot of details on my own SW600 servicing, specifically discusses the collar on post # 169-170

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthread.php?357451-My-New-Ride-Honda-Silver-Wing-600-Scooter-Go-big-or-....

Hello everyone Sw87_210
Back to top Go down
Leinees66
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2023 12:40 pm

Appreciate it. I will look at everything you've sent and reach out to you. Of course I would cover all expenses. Looks like a complete teardown. The bike runs flawlessly right now and of course I want to keep it that way. I have a copy of every service record on it going back 6 years. It's been well maintained and it shows. I'm going to do the things I mentioned just because their all due. Do you use gear oil or 10w 30 for the rear final drive? I bought the pj wire lube and the cable tool to do the throttle. It stuck on me the other day, only once but I'm going to lube it anyway just to be safe. I think a complete teardown is in order just to be safe. I see oem parts are pricey. How much should I budget for and how many days would it take? What's under the left front side plastics that would be rattling and buzzing? I only notice it when I'm taking off. I guess I can take off the left side and look. Wasn't sure if there's a known issue. Body of it is pristine so no accidents.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2023 2:01 pm

Like I mentioned the SW600 is very durable, but is really hard to tell what it needs until you look, but trust me OEM parts for Honda SW are a lot cheaper than other brand scooters, most commonly replaced parts, belt and rollers are aprox. $170 at Ron Ayers, free shipping, worse case maybe $400ish in parts, but just a guess, I would say 3-4 days at my house, to tackle all with no rush. BTW, same engine oil in gearbox, I prefer 10W40, but any good 10W30/40 non/or motorcycle specific is ok.
Ron Ayers link https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/l/hon/5053f2fbf870021c54be6d45/2009-fsc600d-ac-parts
Back to top Go down
Leinees66
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2023 2:47 pm

All very doable. Thank you. I'll reach out when I can have the time to do it. Starting a new job this week. Thank you for everything. Joe
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2023 4:20 pm

Leinees66, if this progresses any further, we should start a dedicated thread for it. kind of Show and Tell, tutorial, etc. Hope new job goes well.  Hello everyone 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Leinees66
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2023 5:33 pm

Ok
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: