Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Sun May 05, 2024 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?

Go down 
+7
Bat-1
Loosemarbles
ezed1
P-21179
Mech 1 twa
Erdoc48
XDM©
11 posters
AuthorMessage
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2019-10-20

stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? Empty
PostSubject: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2023 4:47 pm

I'm replacing the brakes on my bike but then I stripped the pin that holds the two brake pads together and I can't get it off now to change them how do I proceed next?
stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? Pxl_2010
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2023 5:05 pm

If what I’m looking at is an Allen screw, you have a few options- one is to use a square bit of the appropriate size, lightly hammer it in (similar to a Torx bit but more contact points- 12). This is what had to be done on my ST fork at the bottom as the Allen screw head got stripped. A Torx bit can work as well assuming not too much corrosion (and if you can see the threads of the screw, maybe some penetrating spray might help as well, just to get the screw to break free more easily). The pin is done anyway so I would not re-use it, just get a new brake pad pin (maybe put some anti-seize on the threads of the new one)- also, with the new pin, don’t try to approximate the head size with an SAE Allen wrench (not implying you did that)- just get a very good set of metric Allen wrenches.

EDIT: I see in the pic you have one of those folding type multiple Allen wrenches and they’re fine for most jobs, but you’re better off getting a better set (I bought a Craftsman set from Lowes and they have been fine). The set I have have longer handles and will break free any bolt pretty easily- the other option is a set of metric Allen sockets (these would probably be best since you can ply more torque to the screw / pin you need to loosen)- Lowes has them as well and I bought a set recently, like $21
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2023 5:24 pm

Second that Torx bit to remove it but it will most likely have to be hammered in. Don't do it on bike could bend brake rotor. Find something to support it wood blocks etc. Once Torx is tight mount caliper back on and try to loosen it.

stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? Torx10
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2023 6:05 pm

Just thought about this (and I could be wrong)- since the caliper is off the bike, can you just grab the pin with a channel lock or Vise grip and twist / rotate the pin to loosen it (and again, be liberal with some penetrating lube spray at the threads)? That’s assuming you have space between the brake pads to be able to grab the pin with the Vise grip (and they do make needle nose type vise grips as well)- the pin will be damaged but you need to replace that anyway. Just a thought
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2023 6:15 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
Just thought about this (and I could be wrong)- since the caliper is off the bike, can you just grab the pin with a channel lock or Vise grip and twist / rotate the pin to loosen it (and again, be liberal with some penetrating lube spray at the threads)? That’s assuming you have space between the brake pads to be able to grab the pin with the Vise grip (and they do make needle nose type vise grips as well)- the pin will be damaged but you need to replace that anyway. Just a thought
Tried that, this thing WON'T budge. That's why I stripped it to begin with. It's like it has loctite on it. The last time I changed the breaks on this was only 3 years ago and I myself put it not that tight.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2023 6:21 pm

Got one more trick (and some may disagree) how about heating it at the point where the pin goes through the caliper (so heat the caliper at that point with a torch but not enough heat to damage the metal, just to be able to break the pin free)?
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2023 8:00 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
Got one more trick (and some may disagree) how about heating it at the point where the pin goes through the caliper (so heat the caliper at that point with a torch but not enough heat to damage the metal, just to be able to break the pin free)?
I don't feel comfortable about using heat nor do I have access to a touch
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2023 8:10 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
- one is to use a square bit of the appropriate size, lightly hammer it in (similar to a Torx bit but more contact points- 12).
Square bit? Do you mean one of these?

stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? Pxl_2012
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2023 8:14 pm

Sorry about my original post- it’s actually called a ‘triple square’ it has 12 points of contact. So it’s basically a torx bit with double the number of contact points

Here is a set at Lowes:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Capri-Tools-10-Piece-XZN-Triple-Square-Spline-Bit-Socket-Set-Metric/1002326906

Just so you can see what it looks like, but in reality a torx bit will probably work fine, but it’ll need to be a tighter fit (that’s why it would need to be tapped in) to fit in the inside of the allen head- more contact points would be expected to give more success in removing the pin.

The torx bit in your pic may work just fine assuming it’s grabbing the inside wall of the allen head.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2023 8:30 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
Sorry about my original post- it’s actually called a ‘triple square’ it has 12 points of contact. So it’s basically a torx bit with double the number of contact points

Here is a set at Lowes:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Capri-Tools-10-Piece-XZN-Triple-Square-Spline-Bit-Socket-Set-Metric/1002326906

Just so you can see what it looks like, but in reality a torx bit will probably work fine, but it’ll need to be a tighter fit (that’s why it would need to be tapped in) to fit in the inside of the allen head- more contact points would be expected to give more success in removing the pin.

The torx bit in your pic may work just fine assuming it’s grabbing the inside wall of the allen head.

My only concern is if even when I had such a good Force before it got stripped and that didn't work a purposely incorrect one even budget either?
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2023 8:44 pm

Effectively what you’re trying to do is cut new slits in the allen head interior and use the bit to dig into the metal to give more points of contact to extract the brake pin. I agree, you need to be careful banging on the caliper to drive the bit into the Allen head

One more idea (that shouldn’t require banging on the caliper):
https://www.amazon.com/Topec-Extractor-Multi-Spline-Premium-Rounded/dp/B07YBWNCZV/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=ez%2Bout%2Bextractor&qid=1701567892&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

I hate to see you spend more money on tools but I’m out of ideas otherwise. Lastly, consider taking it to a bike shop as they should have all the appropriate tools to get the pin out (but I would have a replacement one available if you go this route).

12/3/23: Just an edit- when you do get this work completed, please let us know how you ultimately got the pin out (just in case we run into the same issue)
Back to top Go down
P-21179
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2022-09-06

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 04, 2023 7:05 am

my suggestion is a hammer and driver to loosen the screw, then it usually works out
if it's really tough then you can build the weld with me until you get a grip with pliers

/Stefan
Back to top Go down
ezed1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ezed1

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2023-07-28

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 06, 2023 5:35 pm

XDM:copyright: wrote:
I'm replacing the brakes on my bike but then I stripped the pin that holds the two brake pads together and I can't get it off now to change them how do I proceed next?
stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? Pxl_2010
https://www.mildnear.com/products/tool-23103002
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2023 1:54 pm

Well, the weekend has returned so that means time to deal with this. I'm thinking to use a penetrating oil then try to hammer in a bit and if that doesn't work finally try to vice grip method again. but I was also wondering that screw is custom to this brake caliber isn't it? I can't just pick this up from a hardware store can I?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2023 3:22 pm

Check Internet for a second hand caliper with a good hanger pin if it's cheap enough or a Honda dealer for a new one. I assume you got the outer pin off ok? There should be an outer pin which screws in on top of the hanger pin.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2023 5:39 pm

I wouldn’t try a hardware store- since it’s a specific piece, I’d get it from Honda, maybe Partzilla or Babbitt’s online - unfortunately they charge a decent buck for shipping, so maybe if you need other parts, come up with a parts list and save on the shipping. By the way, here’s the schematic from Partzilla and I believe you need the hanger pin (#15 in the schematic):

stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? Img_3410
stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? Img_3411

Part #15 (I did the search for a 2010…I would assume they’re all the same but check with your year SWing)
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2023 6:03 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
I wouldn’t try a hardware store- since it’s a specific piece, I’d get it from Honda, maybe Partzilla or Babbitt’s online - unfortunately they charge a decent buck for shipping, so maybe if you need other parts, come up with a parts list and save on the shipping. By the way, here’s the schematic from Partzilla and I believe you need the hanger pin (#15 in the schematic):

stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? Img_3410
stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? Img_3411

Part #15 (I did the search for a 2010…I would assume they’re all the same but check with your year SWing)
That was the plan, I always get from partzilla. I just didn't want to get a SINGLE screw. They might charge me like $13 for shipping alone
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 10, 2023 1:55 am

If you need part#14 as well it might reduce the shipping. Maybe replace the rubber dust covers too.
Back to top Go down
Bat-1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2023-10-24

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2023 6:31 pm

Anything that has threadlocker on it can be a real bear.

If you have the capability to drill a hole and pound in an easy-out, that has always worked for me, though at times it's been a chore.

What works great, easy-out or pounded in bit, is to heat the area with a heat gun before putting any pressure on it. Then put steady pressure on the bolt while continuing to heat it, it will start to turn once the threadlocker melts.

If this is what you need I have it for sale (figure $35 delivered):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tE22ySteZfH1n8mR9
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2023 7:02 pm

After looking in depth the whole caliper i see rust and resistance so i just decided to buy another caliper. and also my luck the oil drain plug is also seized and chipped...just my luck...
Back to top Go down
Scootaboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-01-28

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2023 5:19 am

Hi, I worked in the trade for many years and a seized / rounded off brake pins were a common thing. The most invasive way to remove it is to hammer in a over sized Allen bit, do this with the caliper off and supported by a strong piece of wood on a solid surface to allow you to hammer in the bit. You have to heat it, this will expand the Aluminium around the pin, break the corrosion and the pin will come out. This way the only thing that needs replacing is the pin. You don't have to get it that hot, to give you a good idea when the caliper around the pin is smoking. This will work. I understand your apprehension at using a portable blow torch, just be careful, move flammable things away, have a fire extinguisher to hand.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Andrew -UK-.
Back to top Go down
Sid
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2020-07-09

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2023 2:23 pm

Drill it out and then easy out tool, just go slow and drill with a bit of caution ⚠
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2023 2:30 am

I'm in the same position as the OP.
Used SW rear brake calipers seem to be as rare things, but they look the same as the front left calipers used early CBR600's, Hornets, Bandits etc. Has anybody tried this yet?
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2023 3:46 pm

So the new back brake system came in. Should I use anti-seize on that pin this time? On googling, some people say I should actually use loctite, but I need to be able to get this off when it's time to change those breaks again. What should I use on that pin?
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2023 4:08 pm

Hi XMD.
Personally I have just replaced my rear pin due to the onset of corrosion, having had to free up the
rear brake after having been garaged for a month.
My advise is give the thread in the caliper a good clean out with brake cleaner spray,
then coat the Pin and thread in Anti-seize.
Never Loctite. If your worried about the pin coming loose, it won't if you use the pin plug to lock against
the pin.(item 14 above)

Hope this helps.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2023 5:33 pm

JohnyC wrote:
Hi XMD.
Personally I have just replaced my rear pin due to the onset of corrosion, having had to free up the
rear brake after having been garaged for a month.
My advise is give the thread in the caliper a good clean out with brake cleaner spray,
then coat the Pin and thread in Anti-seize.
Never Loctite. If your worried about the pin coming loose, it won't if you use the pin plug to lock against
the pin.(item 14 above)

Hope this helps.

Be safe, be seen!
Thanks, I'll get that anti-seize
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?   stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

stripped the screw for the brakes calipers pin how do I proceed?
Page 1 of 1