Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix

Go down 
+2
Erdoc48
obdarrel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
obdarrel
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2020-07-07

SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix Empty
PostSubject: SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix   SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 05, 2023 11:04 am

Anyone have experience fixing this tab that is no longer there?

Molding kit? Glue?  Epoxy?

Would love to hear your experience with doing this?

SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix Silver12
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix   SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 05, 2023 11:57 am

That looks like one of the plastic tabs that goes into a rubber grommet, correct? The only thing that I could think of is if you can source an Allen head bolt of roughly the same size as what is missing from your piece and then either epoxy it in place/JB Weld or similar (such that the Allen head, being round will go through the grommet). Some people have had success using super glue and baking soda (they apply the baking soda in the region where they want to repair and then pour super glue over the little pile of baking soda, and apparently, it makes a permanent bond). I had one detach from the side panel of my ST 1100 without breaking queen off and I have epoxied it years ago and it still holds to this day. The other recommendation I have is to either use some silicone grease or silicone spray on the grommet as well as on whatever you ultimately use to go through the grommet so that it doesn’t stick when being inserted into the rubber grommet.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix   SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 05, 2023 2:31 pm

There are lots of members who have fixed this kind of thing but I am not one of them. Assuming you can fix it, and I think you can, using plumbers lubricant (water-based) on all the rubber grommets etc; does make for easier removal and insertion.

A fix is definetely worth a go.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix   SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 06, 2023 7:13 am

A little off track but just to share this. My Goldwing trike uses these rubber grommets and past history tells me that they eventually crack and get deformed. My 2005 trike uses these and a few days ago the side panel came loose and nearly escaped! As the panels themselves are quite expensive, I looked at the grommets, one was missing and one mangled!

Dennis Kirk ( https://www.denniskirk.com/) carrys the Show Chrome grommets for 5 dollars for a pack of 5. I bought 2 packs and replaced the one side and all is fine now. I will do the other side when next I check the oil.

My point is, you might replace the grommets on the Silver Wing before the situation gets too bad.
Back to top Go down
agreat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-04-03

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix   SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2023 6:22 am

There used to be something caled "Sugru" or something allong those lines that people used.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix   SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2023 1:43 pm

Using the Plast-Aid (or similar) product, you can make a mould imprint of this fitting using the other side's skirt panel (assuming it has a similar one).

Then fabricate the fitting using the Plast-Aid materials. Finally, affix the one you replicated back into place where the missing one is/was.

I've used this method several times on various broken fittings on my SWing's panels and it works.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix   SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SilverWing Right Cowl Tab Fix
Page 1 of 1