Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Newbie from Minnesota I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Newbie from Minnesota I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Newbie from Minnesota I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Newbie from Minnesota I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Newbie from Minnesota I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Newbie from Minnesota I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Newbie from Minnesota I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Newbie from Minnesota I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Newbie from Minnesota I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Newbie from Minnesota I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Newbie from Minnesota

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
pkrides
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2023-08-13

Newbie from Minnesota Empty
PostSubject: Newbie from Minnesota   Newbie from Minnesota I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 13, 2023 9:40 pm

Thanks for letting me participate in your forum. I've owned 8 motorcycles over the last 50 years and this is my first scooter (technically second if you count the Cushman I rode in the 1960's). I've had my 2009 Silverwing for 2 months now. Bought it with less than 3k miles on it in perfect conditon. I wanted one with low miles and consequenty paid a bit more for it. I love it!

The only issue I have had with it is the gas gauge worked intermittenly when I first bought it. I resolved this issue by using non-oxy premium fuel and Techron additive. Works fine now.

General comments... The highway cruising on this scooter really surprised me. It cruises better on the highway than some of the higher displacement motorcycles I have owned. It has a very solid feel to it. There is definitley a learning curve involved with braking. Using the left brake lever seems a bit unnatual.

I am planning on changing the coolant and brake fluid this fall. I would appreciate any comments you would have on that. Is this a do it yourself project or should I bring to an expert. I have some mechanical apptitude.

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Minnesota   Newbie from Minnesota I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 14, 2023 6:53 am

Welcome!
Coolant is very easy to change yourself- remove the right compartment access and the filler neck is right there- the drain bolt is underneath the left side of the bike’s bottom (midway down the length of the bike)- very easy

As far as brake fluid swap, I would vacuum bleed using a MityVac or similar tool- I tried pressure bleeding and introduced air into the system (then used the MityVac)- if you swap to SpeedBleeders AND don’t have air in the system, then you should be able to pressure bleed. There’s 2 bleed nipples on the front brake caliper, so you have to bleed for the left and right side master cylinders since you have linked braking.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Minnesota   Newbie from Minnesota I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 14, 2023 11:56 am

Welcome to the forum pkrides. Glad to hear you're already enjoying your new ride.

The fluids topics are all here somewhere if you try using the search bar above. This may give you a quicker answer to your questions. Taking the time to read what's already here can also give you some tips and tricks along the way. There's a mine of info and advices.

Having said that, we always like to think that there is no such thing as a stupid question around here thumbs up;
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Minnesota   Newbie from Minnesota I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Minnesota
Page 1 of 1