Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Oxford Heated Grips I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Oxford Heated Grips I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Oxford Heated Grips I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Oxford Heated Grips I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Oxford Heated Grips I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Oxford Heated Grips I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Oxford Heated Grips I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Oxford Heated Grips I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Oxford Heated Grips I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Oxford Heated Grips I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Oxford Heated Grips

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Oxford Heated Grips Empty
PostSubject: Oxford Heated Grips   Oxford Heated Grips I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2022 11:58 am

I've just finished fitting some Oxford heated grips to the bike.
Removing the old grips, cleaning the bars and fitting the new grips was easy, about 30 minutes all in.
Oxford grips come with a smart controller that switches them off shortly after you stop the engine, so they can be wired direct to the battery without all that fitting of relays and butchering of wiring looms.
But getting the fairings off to lead the cable back... By the time I'd finished fighting with corroded fittings etc I must have spent the best part of 8 hours. I think I've been places Honda never wanted me to go Oxford Heated Grips 1f600
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips   Oxford Heated Grips I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2022 5:07 pm

Now you know how Captain Kirk must have felt!

I've been considering running some wiring from front to rear via the tunnel but keep putting it off for the same reason. Glad you got them hooked up.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips   Oxford Heated Grips I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2022 6:02 pm

I've always found heated grips disappointing on every motorcycle or maxi scooter I've owned. Considering what they cost you'd think having them fitted is a a cold weather asset, but I've come to think of them as a placebo more than anything.

Warm palms aren't much good if you're getting windchill robbing warmth fromthe back of your gloved hands. Or the heat can't penetrate thick glove palms or those useless foam grips.

Having had Honda heated grios on my Silver Wing from new, I decided when ordering my Forza 300 four years ago I wasn’t going to waste money having them fitted. Even though the one's offered by Honda for the Forza looked to be a better design than ones I'd had on the Silver Wing and 400 and 650 Burgmans.

Coming into my fifth winter on the Forza, I have to say I made the right decision.

Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips   Oxford Heated Grips I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2022 6:55 pm

I have to agree with Meldrew on this one, it’s always the forward facing ends of my thumbs that suffer even when using heated grips. I have found that hand guards are probably better as they keep the wind blast off your fingers .
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips   Oxford Heated Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2022 1:58 am

I've tried heated grips on a couple of bikes with varying results. I found them most effective when used with muffs.... Mmmm...toasty!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips   Oxford Heated Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2022 3:24 am

Heated grips do work best on adventure bikes with handguards but I like them on all my bikes, they allow me to get away with summer gloves rather than thick winter gauntlets which I find akin to driving a car in wellington boots!
If it's seriously cold I wouldn't be on the bike anyway. Even while commuting the bike was just for nice weather and the car used if inclement, but my commute was cross country and largely traffic free so I realise I hardly represent the norm.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips   Oxford Heated Grips I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2022 3:32 am

I have Honda heated grips on the CBF, I like the on grip control but not the heat output. The earlier Honda ones where notoriously weak (off, mild and tepid), the later ones which I have are too much (toast, roast and maim).
On a previously owned Tiger I had some generic make fitted by the previous owner and butchered into the wiring loom. Failing switches, blowing bulbs and a total lack of confidence if I wanted warm hands. Not good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Grips   Oxford Heated Grips I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oxford Heated Grips
Page 1 of 1