Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Riding got a bit squirrely today

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
chilled-loud
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2022-05-11

Riding got a bit squirrely today Empty
PostSubject: Riding got a bit squirrely today   Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2022 5:11 am

Welp friends, I’d say I knew better, but a little hard riding today made me wanna back off tremendously until the repairs. Belt is not snapped, but it got mighty hot today and I think it briefly showed its ass unless that was a slip of the throttle (unlikely).
On top of that my rear tire is pretty definitively balding. So I put the order in for the tires, thankfully had/have a little extra  cash left. Next is the install and I’m hoping for a fast fast time with that, have extra brake pads, probably should replace em huh? What else? I’m feeling like the bearings may need packed with more grease? I know there are ways to tell on tire bearings but how on the steering?

I’m creating the new list of maintenance when I wake up, got a few copies printed of that service chart now that the printer has ink too. Loads of things are recommended to be replaced/checked. Obviously trying to keep my expenses low but if there’s stuff you folks would do just in tandem with everything else: checks/service, lay it on me.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Riding got a bit squirrely today   Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2022 10:56 am

Save some your tough-to-come-by cash; pull the wheels and take them to the shop to have the tires mounted. Your budget will thank you.

Oh, and do be mindful that the rear wheel has two “spacers”. The long spacer between the wheel and the short collar which fits into the swingarm seal from the outside. When you remove the swingarm the collar can fall out and go unnoticed and missing. Then when everything is reassembled (do be mindful of the orientation of the long spacer) the axle nut can actually be torqued however the nut will have bottomed out on the axle threads not the (missing) collar. If that happens the wheel will be free to slide back & forth on the axle splines and the brake rotor will quite quickly cut into the brake calipers and the wheel spines get knackered.

Also be mindful of the two collars on the front wheel.
Back to top Go down
chilled-loud
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Riding got a bit squirrely today   Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2022 11:44 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Save some your tough-to-come-by cash; pull the wheels and take them to the shop to have the tires mounted. Your budget will thank you.

Oh, and do be mindful that the rear wheel has two “spacers”. The long spacer between the wheel and the short collar which fits into the swingarm seal from the outside. When you remove the swingarm the collar can fall out and go unnoticed and missing. Then when everything is reassembled (do be mindful of the orientation of the long spacer) the axle nut can actually be torqued however the nut will have bottomed out on the axle threads not the (missing) collar. If that happens the wheel will be free to slide back & forth on the axle splines and the brake rotor will quite quickly cut into the brake calipers and the wheel spines get knackered.

I definitely plan on heading to a shop - likely cycle gear but I did realize we’ve got a fairly decent bit of options so I’m comparing.

And yeah! They did mention my having to take the wheels off myself, so I’m sure I’ll be carefully getting through that process as so well, thanks for the detailing on what to look for as I do it.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Riding got a bit squirrely today   Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2022 2:13 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Cosmic, that is exactly the problem I had with my new to me 2004 Swing/trike I purchased in Idaho. The parking brake needed to be adjusted and when attempting to adjust it, it could not tighten enough. After removing the trike, I saw that the rear wheel was not straight and that the disc rotor had wore into the main caliper housing and the parking brake caliper. After posting my problem, a member on this forum mentioned the second collar. It was missing. I believe that the prior owner misplaced it when removing the rear wheel. I was able find a replacement collar and replaced both calipers. The rotor was fine.
Without the collar I was not able to torque the rear axle nut.
Back to top Go down
chilled-loud
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Riding got a bit squirrely today   Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2022 2:19 pm

Update is I found a spot to take it off for me and have the responsibility on their hands 😂
Took a moment, but the price is right and I’m not trying to lose that piece.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Riding got a bit squirrely today   Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 1:34 am

chilled-loud wrote:
Update is I found a spot to take it off for me and have the responsibility on their hands 😂

That piece might already be missing. These bike shops will not know if the collar is missing. They just reverse order installing everything they took off. Take a look at Partzilla. They have blow-ups of the read axle parts, and make sure that collar is there when they remove the swing arm. It should be on the inside face of the axle nut. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
chilled-loud
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Riding got a bit squirrely today   Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 1:43 am

Easyrider wrote:
chilled-loud wrote:

That piece might already be missing. These bike shops will not know if the collar is missing. They just reverse order installing everything they took off. Take a look at Partzilla. They have blow-ups of the read axle parts, and make sure that collar is there when they remove the swing arm. It should be on the inside face of the axle nut. Good luck.

Definitely gonna have a look then
thanks for the heads up
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Riding got a bit squirrely today   Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 8:21 am

I have taken to buy my tires for the most part from Ridenow dealers. Prices are not bad AND if you get tires from them THEY install them free! I do a lot of my own maintenance but tires...no thanks.
Back to top Go down
chilled-loud
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Riding got a bit squirrely today   Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2022 11:09 am

GHM-PM wrote:
I have taken to buy my tires for the most part from Ridenow dealers. Prices are not bad AND if you get tires from them THEY install them free! I do a lot of my own maintenance but tires...no thanks.

I’ll see if any of those dealers are also in my area.
Right now best price I got was $135, and since the shoes are off best to swap my pads and they included that in the rate. Thought it was pretty fair all things considered, but if free with purchase on the bike comes about - gonna have to check
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riding got a bit squirrely today   Riding got a bit squirrely today I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riding got a bit squirrely today
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: