Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Sun May 05, 2024 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Ignition Switch

Go down 
+3
Cosmic_Jumper
DickO
KurtPerthWA
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Ignition Switch Empty
PostSubject: Ignition Switch   Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 12:24 am

Hi All...
Got my SWing out of storage again today and tried to start with jumper cables since the battery was dead... When I tried to start it the key would not go to the "ignition" position... not knowing what else to do, I searched this site and tried all the possible solutions, ie, jiggling, WD-40, carb cleaner, "extra" force, etc... of course, no luck... I even took off the handle bar covers to see if the tumbler assembly was accessible...
nope... that's really a tough nut to crack that they put it in...

Anyway, my question now is: Would a regular locksmith be able to work on this thing...?? Someone mentioned before that this area of expertise gets a bit expensive to remove and replace... Any thoughts...??
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Ignition Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Switch   Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 1:53 am

Same here mate, All my locks seem to have seized.
I got the seat open, still having problems with my fuel cap and side glovebox box, but the ignition switch is a real worry.
I tried WD40 Silicone spray on the ones i could get to move.
It's been in storage for 6 years

Last edited by KurtPerthWA on Sun May 22, 2022 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Ignition Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Switch   Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 2:40 am

Well, mine had been in storage too but ran it, ostensibly, to keep the battery charged about six weeks ago. All worked fine then which what is so surprising now...
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Ignition Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Switch   Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 8:45 am

Try powdered graphite. It comes in tubes with a small nozzle. Spritz some in the tumbler slot and give the lock assembly some firm but gentle taps to encourage that graphite to distribute into the tumbler pins.

And yeah, you’ve got to pretty much disassemble 2/3rds of the scoot to get the ignition switch.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Ignition Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Switch   Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 10:09 am

There's a lot of topics on seized ignition switches on motorcycle and motoring forums. Powdered graphite is usually recommended for lubricating locks. However there's posts saying adding powered graphite to a lock previously treated with WD-40 or other moisture dispersing lubricatng sprays isn’t a good idea.

An old hack to free seized locks used to be rubbing the ignition key with a pencil to coat it with graphite and working the key back and forward to free the lock.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Ignition Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Switch   Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 10:11 am

I've got my steering stem off at the moment. To get to that ignition switch you just need to remove the plastic from around the handlebars. Remove the handlebars leaving everything attached. Undo the large bolt which attaches the handlebar mount to the stem and the ignition switch comes off with the whole assembly.

Here's what it looks like from underneath. Removing those two bolts should release the ignition barrel from the assembly. I have no idea what you will find in there though!

Ignition Switch Igniti10

If you do decide to go in there and fix it, make sure the assembly mount is earthed before you test it otherwise the FI light will come on.....it sure spooked me Shocked
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Ignition Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Switch   Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 10:30 am

Thanks, everyone... I'll try again this morning to see what else I can come up with... :-)  And yes, "Loosemarbles", I see what you're talking about on that handle bar removal, having already removed the covers in that area...  although even that doesn't look like a whole lot of fun... Smile
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Ignition Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Switch   Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2022 3:21 am

Just to let everyone know... the key problem evidently solved itself... must not have "jiggled" it just right to begin with... went back out the other morning, fiddled around a bit more and managed to operate as advertised... right now I'm attempting to get the "new" battery charged back up... thanks for everyone's help...
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Ignition Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Switch   Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2022 4:51 am

Good news Dicko.

Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

Ignition Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Switch   Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2022 10:19 am

Hey DickO I find my key a little hard to insert also, but eventually get it right. After four different Swings this quirk seems common. I like Meldrew's idea using a pencil.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Ignition Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Switch   Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2022 12:19 pm

two tips on ignition switch

1. ride/use the bike everyday

2. No heavy key rings---use single key

Also winter and heavy rain---shot of WD 40 seems to hurt nothing

I know they are pain to get to/work on
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1567
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Ignition Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Switch   Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2022 12:32 pm

Good advice John. I don't have problem with tip No.1. As for tip No.2, I'm sure that if use my bike key separately I'll lose it within a week. The reason I don't like my key bunch hanging from the ignition is because of the rattling, but I've gotten used to it.

I keep thinking of making a gadget to hold the keys away from the tuppeware and also to take the weight. study
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Ignition Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Switch   Ignition Switch I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2022 5:21 am

john grinsel wrote:
two tips on ignition switch

1. ride/use the bike everyday

2. No heavy key rings---use single key

Also winter and heavy rain---shot of WD 40 seems to hurt nothing

I know they are pain to get to/work on

Hmm… I neither need to or want to ride aimlessly round on my Forza everyday, it's a pointless waste of time if I don't have a reason or destination. I must be riding frequently enough as I'm not getting emails from the security company monitoring the Forza's tracker 24/7 asking why the engine hasn't been started or the scooter hasn't moved recently.

As for keys, I've always had at least half a dozen on any of my maxi scooters key ring, Abus chain locks, top box, RAM Mounts etc, and I've never had a problem. Although I would have if I had a single ignition key separate and all the other keys on another key ring.

Anyway I no longer need an ignition key, the Forza has a Smartkey and that with all the other keys stays in my pocket when I ride. I turn the switch to steering lock, walk away from the scooter and ignition, seat, fuel flap, and glovebox also lock. Plus if I accidentally lock the keys under the seat, I just press the seat switch to open it again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ignition Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Switch   Ignition Switch I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ignition Switch
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing-
Jump to: