Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Ballast for sidecar

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
The Villager
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
The Villager

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2022-03-05

Ballast for sidecar Empty
PostSubject: Ballast for sidecar   Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2022 3:22 pm

I want about 30 to 40 lbs, as small as possible and cheap to buy
Back to top Go down
The Villager
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
The Villager

PostSubject: Re: Ballast for sidecar   Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2022 4:38 pm

Never mind, I found a 25 lb weight on Amazon for $105.00. it is only 4 1/2 inch x 5 1/2 inch with a center hole to bolt onto the frame of the hack. I have 22 lbs of porcelain tile under the seat, so a total pot 47 lbs seems right for me. I some time have my 12 lb dog in the hack but never a passenger so I should be good.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Ballast for sidecar   Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2022 6:18 pm

As rider of sidecar outfits for over 40 years------first learn how to drive the rig you have. Right turns gas it to keep sidecar wheel down....also learn to ride with sidecar wheel in air. Adding weight in sidecar does not make up for lack of skill.
Back to top Go down
The Villager
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
The Villager

PostSubject: Re: Ballast for sidecar   Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2022 3:19 am

As motorcycle rider for 62 years I have picked up a few things during my tenure.  Although I appreciate your concern, I am adding weight in an attempt to make my riding more enjoyable.  People don’t go past my age by learning new skills, they improve on their current knowledge. The stiffer I get, the harder it is to throw my weight to the right in right handed curves. Adding weight to the rear and outside of the hack makes that procedure a little easier. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Ballast for sidecar   Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2022 7:43 am

Gee I'll be 83 in May----but if you are long time solo rider.....and I hope lots of miles, Solo's are different than sidecars/period I am am just over 1.4 million---getting new bike in spring.
Back to top Go down
The Villager
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
The Villager

PostSubject: Re: Ballast for sidecar   Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2022 8:02 am

Good for you old timer. I’ve only clocked about 700,000 miles. I have; however, also been a riding instructor, so I am fully aware of the difference between the types of motorcycle setups. If you need any riding advice, feel free to call on me. I can also help you with riding in Europe. I tried too be humble, but you have me wanting too say mine is bigger than yours. LOL. You are 83 and I am 74, so lets turn the training over to the younger experts. They have sharper minds than both of us.

Love
The Vilager
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Ballast for sidecar   Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2022 9:32 am

Well, if you have all that experience, I'd like some advice on riding in Europe please.
Back to top Go down
The Villager
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
The Villager

PostSubject: Re: Ballast for sidecar   Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2022 11:37 am

LOL.  Although I believe you already know this, my number one piece of advise is to keep a sharp eye out for the cars with license plate with USA on it. I find natives of Europe in the most part are safe and experienced drivers. The Americans stationed in Europe have big attitude but very little skill in driving on the autobahn. I spent 12 years in Germany and drove all over Europe. Whenever I found myself saying holy s@#$, it was due to the method of driving by those with USA on their late.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Ballast for sidecar   Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2022 12:20 pm

The Villager wrote:
Never mind, I found a 25 lb weight on Amazon for $105.00. it is only 4 1/2 inch x 5 1/2 inch with a center hole to bolt onto the frame of the hack.  I have 22 lbs of porcelain tile under the seat, so a total pot 47 lbs seems right for me.  I some time have my 12 lb dog in the hack but never a passenger so I should be good.

What about dumb bell or barbell weights?  I'm sure they run cheaper than what you found.  Especially used ones on Craigslist.
Back to top Go down
The Villager
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
The Villager

PostSubject: Re: Ballast for sidecar   Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2022 12:37 pm

Yes they were a little cheaper, but the small area I wanted to mount the weight in was too small for those. The 25 lb weight l ordered is only 4.5 inch by 5.5 inch by 4.5 inch. That fits perfectly behind the backrest of the hack.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Ballast for sidecar   Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2022 1:47 pm

Response from this old fart: I lived/rode /worked in Europe for near 25 years, MSF Instr. Cert. dated ''73 or '74-----Not fan of MSF---when I got my ticket The teachers came in cars! Spent 8 years in Japan running USAF Motorcycle School as full time job---not MSF as students were actually taken in Tokyo traffic for at least 100 km!----I always need tips....Remember in Germany, Safety bike conference put on by German Police----I was the oldest, German Policeman youngest---Two MSF Chief instructors present=joke, gold wing mounted, they said parking lot course was too dangerous. Course included high balance up and down, left hand holding chain, riding in circle until chain was wrapped around pole, the young Policeman and I completed course----MSF big shots didn't even ride. I also have BSc Safety degree. Admit Americans in Europe are not very good riders or drivers.
Back to top Go down
The Villager
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
The Villager

PostSubject: Re: Ballast for sidecar   Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2022 2:54 pm

John, calm down. If you really are 83, you may be on the verge of stroke. I’m just saying you are full of hot air, I am a far better voice for motorcycle safety than you ever have been. Let’s just pass the authority to the younger generation. I will stop giving advice if you will stop with your macho BS. YOU MAY HAVE BEEN, BUT YOU ARE NOW A HAS BEEN. Please stop embarrassing yourself and this wonderful site by just shutting up.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Ballast for sidecar   Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2022 3:56 pm

I am not going to shut up----stand fast on what I say and have done. How many years did you work full time in motorcycle safety?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Ballast for sidecar   Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2022 8:30 pm

Take a couple of deep breaths. Chill out Lou. We’re all friends here —even though we can have differing opinions.
Back to top Go down
The Villager
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
The Villager

PostSubject: Re: Ballast for sidecar   Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2022 4:07 am

I must say, I was unaware what Curmudgeon meant. Please understand I thought I was being insulted for being the new guy on the block. I apologize to all non Curmudgeons on this site for my inappropriate comments. I will be more carful of how I respond to anyone who pulls my short hairs from now on. I will certainly ignore some. Again, sorry to this wonderful site and it’s members.

Lou
The Villager
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Ballast for sidecar   Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2022 6:19 am

ok
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ballast for sidecar   Ballast for sidecar I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ballast for sidecar
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: General :: General Chat-
Jump to: