Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question

Go down 
+4
sonuvabug
MUCHoldERwingguy
Cosmic_Jumper
Joe burned out dairyman
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Joe burned out dairyman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2022-02-07

Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question Empty
PostSubject: Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question   Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2022 1:52 pm

In our younger days. my wife and I toured Yellowstone Park and the Olympics in Montreal (1975) on a Yamaha RD350. Enter a dairy farm and four Sons and the Yamaha left! Now, close to a half a century later the cows are gone and with two replaced knees I bought a Silverwing. After some research I settled on the Silverwing for less weight and easy and off. However, my knees just were not strong enough and my wife said if she was riding with me I had to have a TRIKE. Being a " love to build it "guy I built one. It is mostly done and if I do say so myself it is looking nice. Now the question; can I add .65 amps of current from a LED light system to the scooters present circuit? The set I am looking at is a full turn, tail, brake set. I found a five wire connecter going to the tail lights. I have not tested them yet and I do not have a wiring diagram. I assume one wire is the ground, a rt turn,a lt turn, brake, and a tail going to each side. That is five wires. The big question is, the scooter lights have a 10 amp fuse, will I overload the circuit? Any help will be much appreciated! Joe
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question   Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2022 4:19 pm

Hello Joe. Welcome to the forum.

Not that I know that much about electrics but I think that if you are replacing the incandescent rear lights with LED’s (which draw less current) then you’ll be okay with that OEM fuse. But you could also change that to a 15 amp fuse.

Do be aware that LED’s wont work in the front running/turn signal lights though. Some how Honda has figured out how to make those single filament front bulbs function as low voltage running lights and then, for reasons yet to be explained, a miracle happens and those same single filament bulbs work on 12 volts as turn signals.

Also, LED bulbs don’t work well in the headlights because the bulb reflector isn’t compatible with the focal point of an LED bulb.

And when you wire up the brake lights for LED’s you’ll have to add a load resistor to each side to stop them from hyper flashing.

You might also consider changing the rear turn signals to dual filament sockets, use red 1157 LED’s, and wire the running light circuit to them as well as the turn signals.

Use the Search function to find several previous discussions about LED’s. And yeah, there is a bit of a learning curve using that Search window. Well, sometime more than “a bit”.
Back to top Go down
MUCHoldERwingguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2022-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question   Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2022 6:52 pm

Welcome aboard the board, Yamaha RD350 shades of my past and like the family cast the biggest shadow. As Jim said that search box is a good go to, just be patient and sort through it
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question   Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2022 6:59 pm

Welcome aboard the board Joe.  Short answer is ... go ahead and add the lamps.  Your power draw won't hurt a thing if you do it right.  

That is to say, I think there are some extra empty spots in the current fuse boxes.  You can direct wire to them and no one will be the wiser.  The easiest way is to wire direct to battery with an in-line fuse.  I personally don't like this approach and favour a direct to fuse box approach.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question   Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2022 12:42 pm

Welcome Joe to the BEST SWing forum on the net. Wasn't the RD350 orange, if I remember right? I had a 77 RD400 that I bought in late 78 when the 79's were coming out. It was blue. It never had gas or oil in it and the speedo still read 0 miles. My wife wasn't all that happy that I bought it but did go for rides with me on it.
Back to top Go down
Joe burned out dairyman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2022-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question   Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 6:59 pm

To Dale N.; My 1973 Yamaha RD350 was dark red. The last son working my way through college on the family farm. The Dealer in Eau Claire Wi. had a sale. New RD350s for $800! Having worked the farm my whole life to date with no money in my pockets I asked Dad about it. Can you imagine what I all felt when Dad gave me $400 said he would give me the rest when the next Milk Check come! I drove to the Dealer with the old Chevy farm truck thinking i was going to just put money down to hold the bike. I actually went home that day with the bike in the back of the truck and me as high as a kite! Dad has been gone now 25 years but I am almost crying as i'm writing this. Good memories of someone who meant so much to me. As for the second $400 the dealer just said ' I will put it on account and bring it when you get it". Can you imagine that happening these days? There were a lot of good things in "the good old days.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question   Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2022 8:54 pm

Hi Joe, I had a friend who had an RD350 that was orange. Not sure what year it was tho. Yup! The good old days were sure different than they are today. A persons word meant something back then.
When I picked up my RD400 the service tech was on it taking it for a test ride to make sure everything was up to snuff. When I went to get it it had 6 tenths of a mile on it. I went back in and told the salesman that it was supposed to be a NEW bike. He said it is. I said B.S. because it's got 6 tenths of a mile on it. I had been screwing around with him since I first went in there so he knew my warped sense of humor. He laughed and told me to get the hell out of there.
That was a great little bike too!! And my wife stayed married to me also which was nice. We had lots of rides on it.She's been gone for 8 years now but sometimes I can feel her on the back of my SWing. I ask if she's enjoying the ride and have never gotten hit upside the head so I guess she still likes riding with me.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question   Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2022 12:02 pm

Those 350's bring back a lot of memories. I had a 1967 YR1 350 Yamaha which was what the 350's were before they became RD's. My wife and I really enjoyed that bike. This was a period when America wasn't smitten by the "it's got to be as big as a land yacht to be considered a real motorcycle". And she still rides with me.....
Welcome Joe
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2018-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question   Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2022 5:49 pm

Talking of Salesmen , and yes sorry its not a Swing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEd5YhLAfyE
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question   Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2022 7:43 pm

Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question Swing_10

This the wiring layout for the tail lights.

The Swing fuses are split; Fuse B does horn/meter/brake/tail (10A) and Fuse C does the blinkers (10A). Of those two, the Fuse C maximum draw would be the lowest at 2 x 21W = 3.5A, so would be the better one to power any additional lights.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question   Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Joe burned out dairyman introduction and electric question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: