Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan

Go down 
+3
john grinsel
Terry Smith
Loosemarbles
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan Empty
PostSubject: Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan   COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2021 1:17 pm

I wonder if somebody might be able to help me test my cooling fan. I have removed the three pin ECT sensor plug and I'm hoping I can test if the fan is working by shorting the connectors in the plug. I've checked the fan fuse and it is good. Carrying out this test will also prove that the fan relay is working OK.

I've had a look at the wiring diagram but electrics have never been my forte and I'm worried I might cause damage if I short the wrong pin connectors in the plug.

I can see that there are three wires: 1 x Pink/White. 1 x Green Orange. 1 x Green/Blue.

I'm hoping one of our more teckie/leckie members can confirm which connectors to short to bring the fan on?

Many thanks
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan   COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2021 4:21 pm

You could put a jumper in the fan motor relay between green and black to start the fan. The fan motor receives always-on power down the blue wire from the fuse D, the relay black to green completes the earth path.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan   COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2021 4:58 pm

Thanks for that Terry. I see what you mean but I've just checked the location of the relay and it looks like the front cover has to come off...phew! I don't fancy going through that procedure. Is there a way of jumping from the ECT sensor plug?
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan   COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2021 5:12 pm

I'm not sure about that. The ECT sensor is a resistance device that is fed voltage from the ECU down the Green/Orange wire and back down the Pink/Whte back to the ECU. I assume shorting those two will cause a low resistance measure and thus cause the ECU to believe the temperature is very high and hence trigger the fan. Probably.

Another alternative would be to jumper the Black/blue wire on the black ECU connector to ground, which should activate the fan motor relay directly (or at least give you an audible click when it activates).
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan   COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2021 7:22 pm

Just let it idle long time----if fan works it should come on. one time over heat should hurt.....if fan does not come on---this saves screwing with wires
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan   COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2021 4:21 am

Yes Terry, fool the Ecu into thinking that the engine is overheating. Is there a simple way of immitating the resistances shown in the manual without causing any damage? I really don't want to take the ECT sensor out and put it in a glass of hot water!
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan   COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2021 5:26 am

BTW, John, last week the engine overheated while I was filtering through stationary traffic on the M25. I was concentrating so hard on riding that I didn't notice the gauge was at MAX and the light was on so I pulled over to let the engine cool.

That would have been the time to see if the fan was running but, hey, what can I say, I thought it was all due to an air lock as I had recently replaced the thermostat. (it's happened before). So, yesterday I sat the bike in the garage with the engine running for about 40 minutes. Temp stayed steady on three bars and the fan didn't kick-in at all.

Now I want to imitate the engine overheating directly from the ECT to make sure the relay and the fan are working. A process of elimination you might say.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan   COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2021 9:18 am

How about covering half the radiator with a piece of cardboard or such. That ought to get the temps to rise quickly enough.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan   COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2021 3:30 pm

I want to thank everyone for their input on this. I don't want to risk damaging the electrical system by jumping and shorting. It's a mystery which will require ongoing analysis. I went for a ride today, sat in traffic, did some high speed cruising and then stopped at the supermarket where I let the engine idle for 5 minutes. Nothing. Three bars and no fan running.

I'm going to tackle it in due course, keep an eye on the temp gauge and listen out for the fan. I'll close this thread for now but I'll post any future findings. Maybe it was another air lock after refilling the system recently.

The bike is running fine but if anybody, including me, can figure a way of imitating an engine overheat, it would be fine feather in one's cap. Thanks again thumbs up
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan   COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2021 5:42 pm

If it's at 3 bars - not overheating - no fan on --- I would just cover the radiator as Tim said and just wait and watch as the bars climb. You have been t max once perhaps that " burped " your system, have you added any to the reservoir after that?
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan   COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2021 5:48 pm

I would just parrot Tim's and "owg's suggestion to cover the radiator and "force" it to go "hot"... that alone should bring the fan on automatically... I know on hot days and long runs I've had the fan come on when pulling in to my garage even with the customary three bars showing on the heat guage... well, there's another two cents you can work with... Smile
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan   COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2021 7:12 pm

Have you checked fan connector or applied power directly to fan to see if it runs, need to start there.
Both fan and low beam relays are the same, interchangeable for trouble shooting, they are fairly cheap and common car part. 4 prong micro relay. In general check/reseat connectors and grounds. Of course fuse "D" and power at this fuse. 

The ECT sensor does not control the fan relay directly it works thru the ECM, it provides a variable resistance signal as water temp. changes, the ECM uses as reference for fuel injection parameters, the ECM provides a ground to fan relay at correct "Fan On" temp. thru Black/Blue wire. The ECT sensor also send signal to gauge cluster/meter CPU thru separate wire for water temp.

IOW if the temp gauge is working correctly and the bike runs normal untill it overheats is probably not the ECT sensor, I would not advice jumping the connector at ECT in any case, it could harm the ECM or meter CPU!!

Both postings by Terry are very good things to try, jumping the "Black/Blue" at the ECM to ground with switch on should start the fan, if relay is good and fan is getting power, is the easiest just remove side cover, wire #16 on black ECM connector.

Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan   COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2021 7:24 pm

BTW have a Box fan Handy or running in front of bike JIC while you are working this issue, no point in taking a chance of overheating engine IMO.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan   COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2021 5:09 am

Thanks zrx212. I have a lot to work with here. Do you know if the fan connector plug is easily accessible?

I have removed the whole front cover tupperware before and I don't recall it being a whole lot of fun.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan   COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2021 10:43 am

Loosemarbles wrote:
Thanks zrx212. I have a lot to work with here. Do you know if the fan connector plug is easily accessible?

I have removed the whole front cover tupperware before and I don't recall it being a whole lot of fun.

Easily is not the case, but while laying on floor, you can get to the fan connector by removing the LH lower skirt and the radiator cover/grill, possibly as much access as with front fairing/cover off, is a tight area, IAC those would have to come for either case. BTW blue wire +, black -.

TIP/PSA when removing lower skirt fasteners, remove also  the 10mm upper bolt next to phillips head screw where the lower skirt meets upper cover, this will allow you to move skirt back some to unhook front plastic catch without braking it, fortunately learned that lesson with old/damaged parts. 

COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan Sw13410
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan   COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2021 2:16 pm

Useful info, and I see exactly what you mean. I'm gonna give this a go in the coming weeks. Thanks for going to the trouble of a very informative post. I'll take some photos as I go and post my findings for the future use of other members. Remember, every SW will be as old as mine some day! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan   COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2021 5:26 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
Useful info, and I see exactly what you mean. I'm gonna give this a go in the coming weeks. Thanks for going to the trouble of a very informative post. I'll take some photos as I go and post my findings for the future use of other members. Remember, every SW will be as old as mine some day!  thumbs up

No trouble  at all, yes is good too know of possible failure issues and prevent them  COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan 1f60e
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan   COOLING FAN - Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help Please. I want to test my cooling fan
Page 1 of 1