Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Demosemorris vibration/rattle question

Go down 
+3
DTWing
oldwingguy
dmosemorris
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dmosemorris
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2021-08-29

Demosemorris vibration/rattle question Empty
PostSubject: Demosemorris vibration/rattle question   Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2021 8:32 pm

Hey everybody.  I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem.  2004 Silverwing with new-ish drive belt.  When I accelerate from stop on level pavement--no real issues.  When I accelerate up a hill, or when riding two-up I get a nasty vibration/rattle at around 3500 rpm.  If I give it more throttle, it goes away.  Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Demosemorris vibration/rattle question   Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 7:50 am

1st welcome aboard 2nd it seems to be the nature of the beast, loose body panel would be one area to check.
Back to top Go down
DTWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2021-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Demosemorris vibration/rattle question   Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 8:43 am

It sounds like belt slap. At certain load and speed the belt vibrates like guitar string and slaps the CVT outer casing.

It's considered normal and many members experience it. Newer belt and CVT cleaning seem to reduce it but not considered mandatory.
Back to top Go down
dmosemorris
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Demosemorris vibration/rattle question   Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 11:25 am

Thanks to both of you. I think the belt slap is probably what is causing the noise so I will take off the CVT cover and have a look. It is also clear that various plastic components have shrunk or whatever they do to rattle at various rpms. That little "push here to open" glovebox on the right side is especially prone to it. Anyone tried to replace one of those?
Back to top Go down
DTWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Demosemorris vibration/rattle question   Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 11:30 am

That right side glove box has one screw at the front edge. Some people never noticed it was missing. Adding it back may help with your rattle noise if yours is missing.

When you open up the CVT case look for shiny parts in the middle of the case both at the top and bottom on the inside. That's tell tale sign that your noise was the belt slap.
Back to top Go down
dmosemorris
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Demosemorris vibration/rattle question   Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 11:33 am

Will do. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Demosemorris vibration/rattle question   Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 5:52 pm

The glove box door rattle can be reduce by putting something squishy in the hinge area so there is a bit more spring open force against the latch. I had a short section of screen edge tube in there but a small piece of foam rubber would do the trick.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Demosemorris vibration/rattle question   Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 9:50 pm

Windshield screws like to loosen up too. It's hard to determine exact issue but seems most SW's do vibrate just look in mirrors they also do it .
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Demosemorris vibration/rattle question   Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 3:14 am

I deduced the the intermittent rattle on the Crowman was a loose bit of the wiring harness flapping against the body.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Demosemorris vibration/rattle question   Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 8:28 am

It's all meant to rattle. If it stops rattling it means something has fell off!

Seriously don't worry about it. The transmission is a collection of weights, springs and a rubber belt and the fairing acts like a huge resonator at certain revs - it's the nature of the beast to rattle and buzz.
Back to top Go down
DTWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Demosemorris vibration/rattle question   Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 2:09 pm

For what it's worth I too noticed the belt slap noise on my Wing and with 4,000 miles on the odometer, replaced the original belt anyway. Also cleaned and lightly oiled(with dry lubricant) the variator and the sliders(26gram Dr Pulley). This eliminated most of the slap noise and the bike drives smoother.(less lurching feel at slow speeds)

To me it was worth the cost and effort.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Demosemorris vibration/rattle question   Demosemorris vibration/rattle question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Demosemorris vibration/rattle question
Page 1 of 1