Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeby Boating123 Today at 6:48 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:08 pm

» Sinko De Mayo
Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Allballs steering bearings

Go down 
+3
sc00ter
Terry Smith
rick gordon
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rick gordon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-06-10

Allballs steering bearings Empty
PostSubject: Allballs steering bearings   Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2021 3:40 pm

I have been a member since 2016 and am very thankful for the information that has helped me to maintain my Silver Wings. I live in Kingsport,Tennessee.I hav owned A Goldwing 1500, Yamaha 1100 and Majesty 400 but I love these Silver Wings. Am having trouble finding the right steering bearings for my ride. I bought a Allballs steering bearing kit 22-1037 for my 2004 Silver Wing FSC600D and both upper and lower races are larger than the ones I took off . I also have a 2008 Silver Wing FSC600A, don't know if the "D" or "A" makes a difference when ordering parts but the package the bearings came shows it fits Honda FSC600 Silver Wing  02-13. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Allballs steering bearings   Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2021 5:22 pm

From what I can see, that is the correct AllBalls part number, and all year and letter code FSC600's use the same bearings. Maybe someone has put the AllBalls parts in the wrong package?
Back to top Go down
rick gordon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Allballs steering bearings   Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2021 6:03 pm

Maybe the fellow that miked the bearings was wrong, will have him recheck.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Allballs steering bearings   Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2021 11:38 am

When I was going over my wifes Swing before the trike conversion I had to fix a fork seal. While the legs were off I decided to just check the head set bearings. I was lucky that the nothing was pitted or damaged but I know my local Honda dealer could get the OEM bearing and related parts for a fair price if needed. So I just needed fresh grease and set the proper headset torque. I've dealt with All Balls for headset parts in the past and I recall getting the wrong size bearings in a package before. It was quickly corrected after reaching out to them. This was only once out of probably 20 rebuild kits, and it was for a weird scooter.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Allballs steering bearings   Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2021 3:19 pm

Get stuff from local Honda dealer. It fits!
Back to top Go down
rick gordon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Allballs steering bearings   Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2021 9:30 am

Contacted Allballs and they are going to sent another kit. I would have went back with stock bearings but I don't believe I could do the torque procedure required for stock bearings.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Allballs steering bearings   Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2021 11:32 am

Maybe I'm not seeing something here, but wouldn't the torquing procedure be similar for OEM as well as aftermarket bearings? No matter which bearing set, that cockamamie octagonal steering stem nut and 4-pin spanner nut are still used.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Allballs steering bearings   Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2021 3:33 am

You're correct about the tools Tim. The tapered rollers have a very narrow "sweet" spot for tension, not sure about the torque settings as I did mine by feel.
Back to top Go down
rick gordon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Allballs steering bearings   Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2021 9:51 pm

In the box that the bearing came in was a slip that said torque to 28-30 ft lb, I made the tool( saw how to make it from a post on this forum) to fit the crazy 4 pin nut. So I am going to torque it to 28 and hope for the best. The washer that sets on top of the 4pin nut has a tab that slides down the grove on the steering stem so I don't believe that tightening the lock nut would affect the torque. I really appreciate the posts on this forum about the steering stem bearing, how to remove the bottom race, what socket fit the lock-nut and how to make a tool to fit 4 pin nuts, Thanks so much for everything. https://www.silverwing600.com/t9331-tapered-steering-head-bearings?highlight=steering+stem
Back to top Go down
bergwerk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2021-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Allballs steering bearings   Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2021 3:28 pm

How many miles did your Silverwing do before the bearings needed changing?
Back to top Go down
cello33
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2018-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Allballs steering bearings   Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2022 5:25 pm

Thats a good question, my ABalls headsets have lasted less then 3 years and now have a notch when the bars are pointing forward.

I put this down to the fact that because of the weak springs the forks bottom out on medium irregularities on the road (manhole covers and small bumps in the road) and are effectively transmitting the shock directly on the faces of the bearing race.

I guess the Honda parts are better quality but when i bought the swing it had a notch that took a year or so to get really noticable. My issue has gotten bad in less then 3 months and I steer around most of the bad potholes as well.

I would say the AB parts have lasted 10-15K miles so not really impressed with them, anyone else has views on AllBall bearings etc?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Allballs steering bearings   Allballs steering bearings I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Allballs steering bearings
Page 1 of 1