Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» May 2024 forum picture
Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» checking the oil
Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Main Fuse Kept Blown

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
IronSky
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2021-06-24

Main Fuse Kept Blown Empty
PostSubject: Main Fuse Kept Blown   Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 4:56 pm

What a day. I have spent hours on my 2003 Honda Silverwing 600 today figuring out what is causing the problem.
I have posted this earlier but decided to create a new post now that it might be an electric issue instead of a fuel issue.

It happened while I rode my bike, the engine suddenly stops running. I tried to restart it but it acts like it is not getting any gas which I was under the impression that the fuel pump or fuel-related issue may not be working. Then the bike no longer had power.

I replaced the battery under warranty, new spark plugs installed, double-check with side fuses (looks fine). Then I finally checked with the main fuse. Good enough, the 30A fuse has been blown. Okay, I got a new fuse installed, but when I turn the switch to "ON", nothing. No power, no light. I checked with the main fuse again and it did blow! I replaced another one and try again. Yeah, it did get blow again.

Now I am stuck with what to do. What does this mean? What is the solution to fix this?
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Main Fuse Kept Blown   Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 6:26 pm

At this point having the electrical diagram for your bike would be in your best interest. You could start at the fuse and trace wires looking for the obvious short. Long distance electrical problems are not easy, a lot of variables. One thing that you said caught my eye, none of the other fuses are blown, so you put in a new fuse and try to start the bike and it blows the fuse? or will it run a bit and blow, the 1st would indicate to me a dead short in the starting circuit.
Back to top Go down
IronSky
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Main Fuse Kept Blown   Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 6:35 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
One thing that you said caught my eye, none of the other fuses are blown, so you put in a new fuse and try to start the bike and it blows the fuse? or will it run a bit and blow, the 1st would indicate to me a dead short in the starting circuit.

None of other fuses has blown. Only the 30A in the main fuse. Every time I TURN THE KEY TO "ON" (not start), the main fuse blow. Twice. When I turn the key to "ON" there was power. No light on the instrument panel. Just nothing, yet it still blow the main fuse.

I am no electronic expert. Could be short. Could be a bad stator. I do not have a cigarette lighter installed. No third-party stuff to draw power from the battery. Which is strange.

Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Main Fuse Kept Blown   Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 6:42 pm

Stator, or wires leading to it. The good of the bad is no added wires. I had a stator go bad in my GL1200 it never blew a fuse just drained the battery while running.
Back to top Go down
IronSky
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Main Fuse Kept Blown   Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 6:43 pm

Guess I will have the bike tow to shop and let someone do this. No youtube or even pictorial tutorial on stator replacement.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Main Fuse Kept Blown   Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 6:49 pm

I would look for a shorted wire first before going to a shop, who knows you may get lucky and find the problem. From what I read the S'Wing doesn't seem to have the problem the 1200 had which was by the way an external wire / connector problem. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
IronSky
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Main Fuse Kept Blown   Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 6:52 pm

I don't even know what shorted wire looks like or where to look for it.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Main Fuse Kept Blown   Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 7:02 pm

Burnt, melted plastic coverings. Where to look, that where the manual comes in handy.

R/H side, a quick look at my manual shows a connector behind the body work, once that is removed the connector is easy to see, a plug and play. You could take the connector apart to check for corrosion and or burnt wires. U Tube may be your friend too.
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Main Fuse Kept Blown   Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 10:09 pm

1-I would start by disconecting the starter.... If it keep on burning the main fuse,
2-try to change switch if you have a friend owner in your area with a SW.
Keep on you will find it for sure ....
3- unplug the kill switch !.......
4- follow the main wiring and look for melted plastic around the wires...
After all that I give up... because I'm sure you found it....
lets go keep on , be positive ... Good luck !
Michel
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Main Fuse Kept Blown   Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2021 12:24 am

I wouldn't worry about the stator or the regulator, those just affect battery charging, and don't play any part when you just switch on the ignition.

The main fuse feeds directly through the starter relay to the starter motor,. All of the other circuits (lights/indicators/starter button/fan etc) feed through their own subsequent fuses which are generally lower amperage so if the short lies with them, those smaller fuses blow, not the main fuse. You can test whether any of those circuits are faulty by pulling all of their fuses, then add one at a time and repeat the power on test and see if any blow.

Most likely (in my mind at least) the fault lies in/around the main fuse and starter solenoid, and I would be looking for charring around that area and then along the red wire that leads to the ignition switch and the red/black wire beyond that back to the fuse box. Main Fuse Kept Blown Wiring10
Main Fuse Kept Blown Main_f10
Back to top Go down
IronSky
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Main Fuse Kept Blown   Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2021 2:12 am

Terry Smith wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the stator or the regulator, those just affect battery charging, and don't play any part when you just switch on the ignition.

Okay.

Quote :
The main fuse feeds directly through the starter relay to the starter motor,. All of the other circuits (lights/indicators/starter button/fan etc) feed through their own subsequent fuses which are generally lower amperage so if the short lies with them, those smaller fuses blow, not the main fuse.

There are no blown subsequent fuses in two smaller fuses box. Only the main fuse (30A).

Quote :
You can test whether any of those circuits are faulty by pulling all of their fuses, then add one at a time and repeat the power on test and see if any blow.

Okay, so you’re suggesting that I take all subsequent fuses out of two smaller fuse boxes, righ and test with one of them in at time to see if it cause main fuse to blow?

Quote :
Most likely (in my mind at least) the fault lies in/around the main fuse and starter solenoid, and I would be looking for charring around that area and then along the red wire that leads to the ignition switch and the red/black wire beyond that back to the fuse box.

If the main fuse 30A fuse blow without any blown subsequent fuse. The problem is bad starter, right?

Thanks for your patience answer my questions.
Back to top Go down
IronSky
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Main Fuse Kept Blown   Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2021 2:48 pm

Okay, guys.

I felt like a moron. The reason why my main fuse blow is because I have the battery connected wrong.

thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Main Fuse Kept Blown   Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2021 4:50 pm

I was all set to write up a reply to your question!! Fantastic news that you solved your own problem. Smile
Back to top Go down
IronSky
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Main Fuse Kept Blown   Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2021 4:54 pm

Terry Smith wrote:
I was all set to write up a reply to your question!! Fantastic news that you solved your own problem. Smile

Thank you.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Main Fuse Kept Blown   Main Fuse Kept Blown I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Main Fuse Kept Blown
Page 1 of 1