Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

SWing on hitch carrier

Go down 
+6
zrx212
minimac
GHM-PM
john grinsel
thecruiser
oldwingguy
10 posters
AuthorMessage
thecruiser
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2021-03-16

SWing on hitch carrier Empty
PostSubject: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 8:23 pm

I'm looking to buy a SWING for our snow-bird Florida home. I live in Michigan and have the summer to fix/maintain/repair or generally get used to Riding before taking to Florida next Fall.

I know a SWING weighs in at a little over 500lbs and my trailer hitch has a 900lb tongue weight. I'm thinking a carrier-rack with the SWING will still be under the 900lb T.W. capacity.
My question is, "Has anyone built a carrier that fits a 2" receiver"?  bounce
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 8:45 pm

While the hitch capacity plays into it overall balance of the vehicle with bike hanging off the back means more with handling, especially if an emergency stop is needed, even worse in bad weather. What will be hauling the S'Wing?
Back to top Go down
thecruiser
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 9:23 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
While the hitch capacity plays into it overall balance of the vehicle with bike hanging off the back means more with handling, especially if an emergency stop is needed, even worse in bad weather. What will be hauling the S'Wing?

T-V is a 2014 Toyota Highlander. (5K towing capacity)
I've towed an enclosed trailer with an 1800 Gold Wing back and forth between Michigan and Florida many times. (total weight about 3500lbs) The tongue weight with a SWING may be a bit more than the enclosed trailer but the total weight much less.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 6:46 am

Ride it.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 7:29 am

That is more weight than I would care to put on the tongue. Not to mention getting the Wing up on it. EGAD. Personally I would buy or rent a motorcycle trailer (U-Haul or the like) and haul it down safely.  Good luck with whatever you decide.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 7:52 am

GHM-PM wrote:
That is more weight than I would care to put on the tongue. Not to mention getting the Wing up on it. EGAD. Personally I would buy or rent a motorcycle trailer (U-Haul or the like) and haul it down safely.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Same here, I too have hauled a G'Wing to Fl. behind my truck but putting the weight of the carrier plus the S'Wing directly on the rear of the Highlander would not be my choice, trailering would be. A one way haul in a enclosed U Haul could be very doable.
Back to top Go down
minimac
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 10:37 am

My hitch carrier is rated for 600#, but I wouldn't put my Silverwing on it. A one way rental from Michigan to Florida, even an open trailer, is pricey. I ended up buying a used 5x10 well built trailer to haul mine from NY to Fla, for less than the one way rental.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 12:14 pm

minimac wrote:
My hitch carrier is rated for 600#, but I wouldn't put my Silverwing on it. A one way rental from Michigan to Florida, even an open trailer, is pricey. I ended up buying a used 5x10 well built trailer to haul mine from NY to Fla, for less than the one way rental.

Good point, I already had a Welker flat loader, my son uses a open Chariot.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 2:44 pm

The SW is one of the hardest bike to tie down IME, 1st time I trailered from dealer, it took me a good 1/2 hour to figure the area of the fork triple clamp next to fork tube is best place to strap down, I used  "soft loop tie down straps" to loop around and a ratchet strap to secure, a front wheel "cradle"chock is also good to have. IAC set parking brake.

BTW this guy I know used to carry his Majesty 400 on a HD hitch carrier with his F150 PU, it looked unnerving, moved around on the hitch a lot, he said the front wheels of truck felt light, not planted  Shocked
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 3:49 pm

I think riding is better---get the bike there---take bus or fly back.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 5:13 pm

> he said the front wheels of truck felt light, not planted < now couple that with less than dry smooth roads and the reason for trailering becomes obvious.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 5:46 pm

BTW, kim that usually that the the max hitch weight rating is when a weight distribution hitch/bars is needed, otherwise the rating is aprox. half, went thru that scenario with my sisters Tundra, rated at 10k, we had to use the bar towing a 6k trailer to keep vehicle level, you may be looking at max load of 450-500 lbs, SW is 550 + dolly  SWing on hitch carrier 1f44e
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 4:56 am

It's interesting that there's no comments or suggestions on towing/ trailers/hitches or whatever from over this side of the Pond.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 9:34 am

Thecruiser, I had a custom fabricated, 2" HD receiver carrier for our '85 Honda Elite and '05 Honda Big Ruckus. These scooters probably came in around 350'ish lbs and that was plenty enough for our hitch receiver set up. I even had load binders on either side of the carrier running to the truck's frame to stabilize the load. Later, we wanted to carry our Burgman 400 which was around 500 lbs. but there was no way. Too much weight, stress and even canter levering on the entire system. This was on a 26' Ford E350 based Class C RV so there was no noticeable weight difference or feel on the steering tires.

With the Burgman 400, we ended up using an open utility trailer ... then quickly progressed to an enclosed cargo trailer which has been tailored to carry our Burgy 400 and SWing behind our pick up truck loaded with our slide-in camper. The best of both worlds for us ... setting up a base camp supplemented by daily riding outings to explore the area we camp in. No enduring mindless miles of boring, hypnotic superslab riding boredom for us thanks. (Regardless of what other "serious riders" profess).

Behind a Toyota Highlander, you most likely could be able to rig something up but a trailer (open or enclosed) or motorcycle specific hauling trailer would be your best bet from a utility and safety standpoint. You don't say whether the SWing will stay in FL or be hauled back when you return to MI.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 10:49 am

These things were designed for riding.....not to be carried around! One way car rental is another way to get back
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 4:43 pm

john grinsel wrote:
These things were designed for riding.....not to be carried around!   One way car rental is another way to get back

What works for one may well indeed not work for another, we rode our G'Wing to and from all the lower 48, and 2 providences. We also trailered to Fl. once and back after a 3 month stay. I don't know why I would ever ride one way leave the scoot and fly home unless I was planning to go back to where the scoot was and then ride home. As I explained to others here there are miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles before a destination of interest is visited and at times a trailer is a blessing getting there with a spouse.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2021 4:52 am

I'd have thought the way things have been the last year with the pandemic, lockdowns, and restrictions that spending a few days actually riding the Silver Wing down to Florida had the makings of an ideal road trip.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2021 7:09 am

Yes indeed it would, take U.S. RT. 23 and along with other things to see a run through the Blue Ridge and the Smokey's can be a delight, perhaps if one were lucky a visit to Mt' Mitchel on a clear day would be in order. That's just a nice taste of i all. BTDT more than a few times. The Dragon although a neat ride is restricted to great degree by the presence of the LEO's trying to keep the squids from killing themselves and others. What some folks don't know is once you leave the general area the riding for the most part is just riding. Hours there are spent riding through the cotton fields and piney woods for the most part. Looking at a Florida map one sees there are not many roads leading into there from Ga. that are what I call casual riding. Central Fl. on the two lane roads has some decent riding, even some curve's and hills Smile
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2021 4:07 pm

I lived in the western NC foothills for 23 years, very familiar with the excellent roads/riding in NC, VA, GA, TN best I've experienced, living in central Florida now, next to Ocala Forest, possibly best riding area in Florida, 👍😎
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2021 5:05 pm

zrx212 wrote:
I lived in the western NC foothills for 23 years, very familiar with the excellent roads/riding in NC, VA, GA, TN best I've experienced,  living in central Florida now, next to Ocala Forest, possibly best riding area in Florida, 👍😎

Plant City, Zephyrhills, The Green Swamp, Clermont Smile
Back to top Go down
David Willett
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2019-01-12

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2021 9:26 pm

Carried a Honda Helix on tilting rack for easy loading and unloading on 24 foot Class A motor home for several years. Never experienced a problem. Wife's failing health prevented her from ridding long distance. We rode the Helix double across Run To The Sun Highway. Also, rode the Helix up Pike's Peak. An amazing scooter with only 250 cc's.
Back to top Go down
dencart2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dencart2

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2016-05-19

PostSubject: Volunteer   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2021 9:58 am

Tell you what, I live in Ohio. I will gladly volunteer to drive your S'Wing to Florida for you. Then you won't need a trailer and your Scooter will be in Florida. Just buy the gas and provide me a cheap flight back to Ohio. I am always looking for an adventure. PM me.
Back to top Go down
http://denniscarter.net/Trips
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2021 10:35 am

Good idea!!
Back to top Go down
thecruiser
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2021 4:41 pm

Problem SOLVED!
My son is making a trip down with a trailer of stuff for a move to FL. Plenty of room for the Swing.
Back to top Go down
dencart2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dencart2

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2016-05-19

PostSubject: Let me take it for you.   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2021 10:32 am

I live in Ohio and will gladly VOLUNTEER
to ride it down for you. Just give me a jingle and we will set it up. just buy me a choo choo train ticket home.

Perfectly good though to carry on your hitch with proper attachments, as long as you car isn't a Yugo or similar.
Back to top Go down
http://denniscarter.net/Trips
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SWing on hitch carrier   SWing on hitch carrier I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SWing on hitch carrier
Page 1 of 1