Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Thinking of giving it up

Go down 
+5
sc00ter
oldwingguy
Meldrew
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
9 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Thinking of giving it up Empty
PostSubject: Thinking of giving it up   Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2021 8:58 am

I will be 82 in May, been riding since 1955, I mean really riding, over 1.5 million 2 wheel miles since then.

My 2 SilverWings gone, purchased new, each got near 50,000 miles (time I like to get rid of bikes), got a little heavy for me at end, I prefer to ride under warranty, etc, etc.

My current Kymco Xtown 300i for sale, out of warranty, also heavy.

Bought new Chevy Spark---kinda nice not having to dress for the weather, no foam ear plugs, no waterproof boots, the ever ending glove/ mitt problems, Car with heater and AC nice, can wear reg clothes.

Probably good time to quit---no major accidents, in spite of commuting in Tokyo/Seoul/Stuttgart/ and US. Thinking of it I really only want to take another bike/scooter trip to Hyder AK---ride thru Canadian Rockies beautiful in summer.

As you age skills go down---I still see well/hear well/even night vision still there....but? Never ride anything you cannot pick up alone!!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of giving it up   Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2021 9:27 am

It is always positive when one can make the decision to retire gracefully rather than have fate make that decision for you.

Congratulations

Well done Sir
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of giving it up   Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2021 12:23 pm

It's a good decision John, and when things get back normal and the border opens you can still head off to Hyder in the Chevy with your dog. More comfort, greater fuel range etc, enjoy. 😷
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of giving it up   Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2021 12:46 pm

As you age skills go down---I still see well/hear well/even night vision still there....but?  Never ride anything you cannot pick up alone!!
[/quote]

I hear you loud n clear, picking up is bad and possibly getting hurt doing it or worse. Night vision thanks to a skilled surgeon is still pretty good. Reaction times no doubt down but the most telling do I trust me. Longer trips are out but fortunately I live in a great area to ride and explore and somehow I always manage to find a new route to somewhere. Good luck to you and the cage years ahead.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of giving it up   Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2021 4:49 pm

Gonna sound weird but if the urge to ride 2 wheels is still there, get a ebike. If your'e in the USA I recommend a Rad Power ebike. Honest price and honest quality. And trust me, Class 2 is fast enough at 21mph. My wifes sister is in her 70's and I got her a Rad Mini Step-Thru. She took to it like a duck in water, and the last time she rode a motorcycle was in her 40's.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of giving it up   Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2021 8:12 am

sc00ter wrote:
Gonna sound weird but if the urge to ride 2 wheels is still there, get a ebike. If your'e in the USA I recommend a Rad Power ebike. Honest price and honest quality. And trust me, Class 2 is fast enough at 21mph. My wifes sister is in her 70's and I got her a Rad Mini Step-Thru. She took to it like a duck in water, and the last time she rode a motorcycle was in her 40's.

I looked it up, not to bad for in town rides but here it wouldn't be anything that I think would work out. The 20 mph would get you in trouble I believe more than anything else about it.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of giving it up   Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2021 8:47 am

A lot of eBikes have their performance limited to 20- 25 mph. A super fast 60 mph eBike can get an inexperienced cycle rider into serious trouble too. American Idol and AGT boss Simon Cowell is still recovering from breaking his back in an eBike accident last year.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of giving it up   Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2021 8:57 am

Meldrew wrote:
A lot of eBikes have their performance limited to 20- 25 mph. A super fast 60 mph eBike can get an inexperienced cycle rider into serious trouble too. American Idol and AGT boss Simon Cowell is still recovering from breaking his back in an eBike accident last year.

Anything with wheels in the wrong hands can get one in trouble. I was thinking more along the lines of at least 45 mph just to keep out of the way of cages. That said some don't give a rats and will try to pass you at any speed no matter what you drive or ride. We have way to many curves and hills here to make 20 mph safe on or in anything.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of giving it up   Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2021 10:34 am

I commute 14 miles each way on my RadRunner 1. From Norfolk, VA to Lynhaven Mall in Virginia Beach, VA. I've never felt that the 20mph was lacking. Have around 2000 miles on this ebike. I used to commute with a regular bicycle before I moved. If you wanna go faster then you get a escooter or emotorcycle. I'm fine going slower and enjoying my surroundings.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of giving it up   Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2021 11:33 am

Never a E Bike for me, period. I still have my 1978 model 3 speed bicycle that has been used in US/Germany/Italy/Korea and Japan---works fine for me, needs new light this year.
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of giving it up   Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2021 12:55 pm

Good decision John !

I hope to be able to go as far as you did.... in one piece... If you ever croos the ocean you are welcome home anytime...

Hope you will keep on looking/writing on the site so we can keep up with you !

Michel
Back to top Go down
David Willett
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2019-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of giving it up   Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2021 2:04 pm

I am 87 years old and have ridden many brands of motorcycles. Still riding a 1999 Harley-Davidson that has 312,ooo miles on it. There is an interesting story about this motorcycle. Harley-Davidson traded me even for the 1987 FLT Tour Glide ridden 417,000 miles for the 1999. Since this is a scooter forum, I will list some of my scooters. Owned 5 Honda Helix. All bought used and sold. 2004 new Suziki 400 ridden 45,000 miles. 2006 new Burgman ridden 189,000 miles. Photo of speedometer on Burgman forum. Sold to my friend Woody Branch. Bought a new 2012 Burgman. Sold with over 100,000 miles Bought a used 2007 Burgman with 8,700 miles. Has 91,000 and is at the dealer with a bad stator. I bought a used 2008 Honda Silverwing 1/1/2018 with 4,100 miles. Has 50,589 miles on it today. Rode 37,495 miles last year on the three. I am writing this after reading about those who plan to quit ridding. We are fortunate to have a mile climate here in North Carolina and can ride all year. I use Gerbings heated liners for the cold days. After writing all this and at 87, I still enjoy ridding and hope I will understand and have the fortitude to hang it up when the time comes as others have.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of giving it up   Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2021 5:56 pm

John is making a thoughtful decision. Maybe not completely done with two wheels, but good, slow, even progression to 4 wheels. I always liked those little Chevy Sparks. Cheaper than many Harleys and Goldwings and nice comfort, with still enough sport left in that little cage avoiding big cage nuts out there. Any time on any highway is a life-threatening adventure. Kudos to you guys who mount up so many two-wheel miles, and then who make the informed decision to taper to three or four wheels. Similar to climbing lower ladders. But still finding ways to have fun.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of giving it up   Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2021 11:27 pm

John, I hope your decision to retire from two wheels doesn't mean you'll be leaving this forum also. I enjoy reading your comments and would hope you will keep us updated with your travels in the future.
The Best Of Luck To You!! Keep up posted.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of giving it up   Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2021 7:24 am

I've had my eye on the replacement for the Forza for the last few months, and when the dealers open their showrooms again I'll be off to have a look at one. I've also earmarked sellers for the usual replacement screen and rear rack.

But John's decision to buy a Chevy Spark has had me thinking what nice little runabout could I purchase for a the same money as the Forza's replacement. 

I sold my last car a two seater Smart Passion a few years ago, it was a fun car too, sequential or flappy paddle gears, all the usual toys, the only thing I didn't like was the Pioneer sat nav/GPS, and being rear wheel drive it could be problematic in snow. Apart from that it was fun and took it to France on a touring holiday.

Now in 2021, there's loads of nice little 4 seater cars that could do a similar or better job, and with a lot more kit as OE. LED lights galore, cruise control, reversing cameras, and large infotainment displays to link to your iPhone to for sat nav etc. 

I wouldn’t get a new car for the same money as that scooter, but certainly a low mileage used model loaded with extras.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of giving it up   Thinking of giving it up I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking of giving it up
Page 1 of 1