Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fuel pump not making any noise?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kilroykarr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2021-03-07

Fuel pump not making any noise? Empty
PostSubject: Fuel pump not making any noise?   Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2021 2:21 pm

Hello, just picked up a 2003 9k mile silverwing from a great uncle. He said he couldn’t get it to fire up last year so he bought a battery. Didn’t ride it all last year and tried again this year and will not start, cranks over but no start.

I brought it home, bought another new battery from Honda. While bike is on center stand with kill switch in the run position, I cycle key to on. I get a single click in the fuse area. Then no more noise after that. All lights are working, cranks over great.

My concern is I don’t hear any priming of the fuel pump. No buzzzzzzzzz, no nothing.

I have drained and refilled gas tank, plugs look good, not wet, not dark, checked all the fuses, moved some relays to test everything seems to be working but fuel pump. Scooter has been in garage it’s whole life and taken care of. Everything under inspection covers look new and no damage to anything. Is there an easy way to test fuse pump?

I have an appointment to take it to the dealership later this week but would love to figure it out first.

Anyone point me in a couple directions to test anything I’m missing. I dont have a service manual yet.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump not making any noise?   Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2021 3:12 pm

Hello Kilroykarr

The fuel flow can be checked. First remove the seat undercover to access the intake and fuel system. Locate the fuel rail and disconnect the fuel return hose which goes between the pressure regulator (at the end of the fuel rail) and the fuel tank. Not the banjo fitting hose. The banjo hose is high pressure from the pump. Disconnect that rubber hose at the fuel tank and run it into a container. It’s low pressure. Turn the key ON for 10 seconds. You want to get ~4.5 oz in the container. If not enough fuel in that time the fuel filter is probably clogged with sludge from sitting for so long.

On the 4 pin connector at the top of the fuel pump the actual pump motor connection is the Br wire is 12v and the G/P is ground. The other two wire are for the fuel gauge. Do not apply 12V to those Gr/B & G/B wires.

I hope this helps.

I do have a used 2002-2005 Factory Service Manual for sale if you’re interested.
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump not making any noise?   Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2021 3:16 pm

Hi,

I am not 100% sure but it really look like a jam fuel pump. Having own a coulpe Silver Wing in the past years, I purchase one two years ago and it had that problem to... I remove the gaz tank check the pump and no go... So I bought another pump on ebay and install it and the scooter start like if it was stop 2 minutes ago... It is a good job but if you are playing in mecanic you will get true it...

Or may be some else have another solution with out changing that pump...

I saying that because I heard from a guy adding a certain liquid in the tank and wait for a certain time, it may unstock that pump....
Good luck !
Michel
Back to top Go down
Kilroykarr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump not making any noise?   Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2021 4:44 pm

Cosmic - thanks for your time and info. I’ll go check that here shortly Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump not making any noise?   Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2021 4:48 pm

I think that adding a full bottle of Chevron Techron or SeaFoam would only be an option if the fuel flow test produced some fuel flow.

And yeah, removing the fuel tank is a big PITA. Not all that complicated but a PITA nevertheless.

BTW, Where in Iowa?
Back to top Go down
Kilroykarr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump not making any noise?   Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2021 5:03 pm

West Des Moines

Send me a PM on that manual I’ll probably grab that from you.

Back to top Go down
Kilroykarr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump not making any noise?   Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2021 6:07 pm

I get gas out of that return hose only when it’s lower than gas level. Nothing with key, no pressure no noise.

How to I test the pump at this point without removing tank?
Back to top Go down
Kilroykarr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump not making any noise?   Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2021 6:17 pm

With a test light on the brown wire I get power when key is turned. I hear that audible click in relay? 3 seconds another click and power to that brown wire stops.
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump not making any noise?   Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2021 7:05 pm

The way you explain and after doing the check that Tim told you and it still not working, I really think the pump is jam... Old gaz get gummy and stop every part who need to moove to have the pump working properly.... When I remove the one on 2005 Silver wing, it was stop for over 4 years... After removing the tank and pump, I even try to clean it with carb cleaner , paint thinner, and other stock and put it back in and it did not work. So remove it again and wait for the new one...

Keep on, I'm sure you'll get it working and enjoy your new to you ride...

Michel
Ps; Your welcome home anytime !
Back to top Go down
Kilroykarr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump not making any noise?   Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2021 7:31 pm

I agree, doesn’t seem like the pump is working. Any tricks to getting that top tank bolt out without removing the whole upper fairing assembly? 😬
Back to top Go down
Kilroykarr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump not making any noise?   Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2021 10:09 pm

Got the tank out and opened up. Ordering a new put tonight. I’ll update when I get it back in! Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump not making any noise?   Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2021 11:01 am

Good, your job is half done...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel pump not making any noise?   Fuel pump not making any noise? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel pump not making any noise?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing-
Jump to: