Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeby ButlerZoie Today at 4:21 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Yesterday at 9:47 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to progreso, and could use some advice
Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Yesterday at 9:27 pm

» LF extended back rest
Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?

Go down 
+6
PeteP
Terry Smith
john grinsel
Meldrew
bikerboy
XDM©
10 posters
AuthorMessage
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2019-10-20

Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? Empty
PostSubject: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 2:12 am

so i have ordered 2 new oem tires for my silverwing as the back tire has a bubble now Shocked i im confident in taking off the rims and replacing the rubber but im worried in seating the bead as people say you need a fast strong pump but al i have is this pump will be this be anywhere near good enough? something else i heard about is using starting fluid and fire?? how can i go about seating the beads when my tires get here?
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 4:42 am

A ratchet strap round the tread to compress the circumference and force the beads outwards has been known to help .
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 5:31 am

XDM:copyright: wrote:
so i have ordered 2 new oem tires for my silverwing as the back tire has a bubble now Shocked

Hmm... I changed the both tyres on my Silver Wing a few years ago after noticing a delamination blister on the rear tyre. Until then I thought Bridgestone Hoops were a decent tyre having had them on previous maxi scooters.

I supplied a pair of angled racing valves for them to fit at the same time as checking pressures and inflating tyres was a pain in the arse with the OE ones.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 6:20 am

bikerboy wrote:
A ratchet strap round the tread to compress the circumference and force the beads outwards has been known to help .

i MIGHT have those, then again it may not be ratchet ones though but they lock
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 8:24 am

In US, $39.95 pump (Harbour Freight) with tank does the trick----clean rim well, have tire a little warm, lube tire and rim, valve core out==up she goes.  once bead is sealed, install valve core, re-inflate to Honda specs....and oh, by the way nice to do balance tire/wheel assembly.   "Ride On" works well for me @!5 a bottle.

Admin Edit: https://go.harborfreight.com/coupons/2020/12/61615-95542825/
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 4:17 pm

I've seen those big tank looking things. But I would have liked to avoid those as I don't know much about them and it would be a one purpose use for me. Also harbor freight is pretty far and I don't feel like risking going out there with a big bubble on my wheel
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 6:58 pm

If you can, take the wheels to your local gas station and use their tyre inflator. You may even find that you need the valve core removed to get a fast enough pressure rise to get the beads to seat.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 10:51 pm

Terry Smith wrote:
If you can, take the wheels to your local gas station and use their tyre inflator. You may even find that you need the valve core removed to get a fast enough pressure rise to get the beads to seat.

If I do I'll have to walk with the tire for a couple of blocks one tire at a time and fill it there. I don't mind making the trip as long as it's GUARANTEED I can get it done there.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2020 9:55 am

Latest Flyer I have from  Harbor Freight---$39.95---3 gallon 100 psi oil free air compressor.

https://go.harborfreight.com/coupons/2020/12/61615-95542825/
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2020 1:34 pm

Is fitting your own tyres normal over the Pond? The last tyres I changed were way back in my motorcycle days when tubed tyres were standard fit.

Any tubeless tyre I've had to replace on motorcycles or maxi scooters I've left in a dealership and let them get on with a job they must do on an almost daily basis.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2020 4:24 pm

I  do own work....making sure work is done right.   Last time dealer did rear tire, rear    Calipher fell off when I got home!!   Most in n america probably do not do own work, lacking skills and or necessary tools/equipment.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2020 4:51 pm

john grinsel wrote:
I  do own work....making sure work is done right.   Last time dealer did rear tire, rear    Calipher fell off when I got home!!   Most in n america probably do not do own work, lacking skills and or necessary tools/equipment.

I've rebuild this bike entirely by myself. From all new fairings to brake pads and disc to regular maintenance on oil and cooling and brake liquids. It's a fun experience working on this bike and a nice humble brag to have the knowledge to do so. Also this website is a treasure trove of knowledge.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2020 10:01 pm

Have always done my own but now days I employee ( read beg help Smile ) for some of the heavier jobs. My last two tire changes were done by an independent guy, took the tire/ rim to him, bought his tires.
Back to top Go down
PeteP
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2020-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2020 11:15 pm

I take my wheels and tires to a local motorcycle shop. They will mount and balance a tire for $50.00 (US) if I bring my own tire or $45.00 if I buy my tire from him. Not exactly cheap but I don’t do this job myself anymore.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2020 2:40 am

oldwingguy wrote:
Have always done my own but now days I employee ( read beg help Smile ) for some of the heavier jobs. My last two tire changes were done by an independent guy, took the tire/ rim to him, bought his tires.

That's pretty much what I do, I take the wheel off and take it to the man who supplies the tyre and does the installation. I wouldn't ask them to remove the rear wheel, most aren't familiar with maxi scooters.
I don't object to a man making a living wage.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2020 10:40 am

steve_h80 wrote:
oldwingguy wrote:

That's  pretty much what I do, I take the wheel off and take it to the man who supplies the tyre and does the installation. I wouldn't ask them to remove the rear wheel, most aren't familiar with maxi scooters.
I don't object to a man making a living wage.

Amen to that. I have all my own equipment from the HF tire changer to the spoons and bars what I don't have is enough of me. I used to enjoy the shop time changing oil filters tires whatever now days it's become more of a chore than a joy of accomplishment.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 2:32 am

I've changed tires on a couple of the Goldwings I've had but I cheat and use the local Honda shop for tires and installation. It wasn't cheap but those scooter tires are a Pain to change and balance. Much easier on the Goldwing.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 2:11 pm

i dont even have the luxury of having a honda motorcycle shop anywhere near my city. i went to all the honda shops and they said they only deal with cars. i couldn't even get my key copied!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 4:47 pm

XDM:copyright: wrote:
i dont even have the luxury of having a honda motorcycle shop anywhere near my city. i went to all the honda shops and they said they only deal with cars. i couldn't even get my key copied!

If you are still in West Philly you could try Crossroads Powersports on West Chester Pike in Upper Darby. But I would certainly call their service department first.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 7:09 pm

Ha! 😊. After reading XDM's post and thinking it can't be that much harder to find a Honda motorcycle dealer in or around Philadelphia than it is to find a cheesesteak, I had a quick Search and Crossroads Powersports in Upper Darby was the first one that came up. According to their website it's all of 6 or 7 miles from Philly.

Then I typed it up and moved it to my Drafts, as I had more important issues like topping my Spam and Pineapple Detroit Style Pizza for the oven.
Back to top Go down
XDM©
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
XDM©

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 7:16 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Ha! 😊. After reading XDM's post and thinking it can't be that much harder to find a Honda motorcycle dealer in or around Philadelphia than it is to find a cheesesteak, I had a quick Search and Crossroads Powersports in Upper Darby was the first one that came up. According to their website it's all of 6 or 7 miles from Philly.

Then I typed it up and moved it to my Drafts, as I had more important issues like topping my Spam and Pineapple Detroit Style Pizza for the oven.

Crossroads Powersports said they dont do scooters, only motorcycles. most of these places dont deal with scooters but only motorcycles. i know ONE dedicated scooter and off-road vehicle place, "scooterland USA" i went there once with a cheep chinese scooter once and they do good work. but its a little far and this scooter is my only transportation so i cant just bring 2 tires there.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 11:40 pm

Crossroads is an authorized Honda dealer. Odd that they don’t do scooters. Unless they’ve changed their policy they’ve been happy to sell new scooters, both Honda and Suzuki as well as some other brands IIRC. As a matter of fact I purchased my original 2003 Silverwing from them.

Truth be told though I’ve never used them for service because they quoted me an outrageous price (several hundred dollars) for a first service on that scooter which amounted to nothing more than an oil change and general inspection, etc. I found it more satisfactory to buy the FSM, learn and do my own service. And that has been personally rewarding for me.

I thought that all you wanted to do was to have tires put on. They aren’t willing to install tires if you bring the wheels in? Or they won’t install tires you’ve purchased from them if you bring the wheels in?

How about Philly Cycle on Castor Ave. in North Philly?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?   Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seating beads on new tires with 12v pump?
Page 1 of 1