Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:29 pm

» Goodbye guys
Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:27 pm

» noise under load
Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Honda X-ADV

Go down 
+4
sonuvabug
Meldrew
oldwingguy
ramy gamal
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ramy gamal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ramy gamal

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2015-01-06

Honda X-ADV Empty
PostSubject: Honda X-ADV   Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2020 5:10 am

Hi everyone,
first of all i like to introduce myself,

my name is Ramy Gamal, I'm from Egypt, i own 2011 Honda Silver Wing,
i was wounding if anyone tried Honda X-ADV and did a test ride for it and can tell me his/her impression about it and is there any different between it and the integra and silverwing.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Honda X-ADV Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda X-ADV   Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2020 7:07 am

Welcome aboard from o-HI-o Ramy I've not ridden the X-ADV but there may be someone here that has, good luck.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4180
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Honda X-ADV Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda X-ADV   Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2020 7:44 am

I don't think the Honda X-ADV 750 has ever been sold in the US and Canada, and the majority of members here are from these countries, it’s have to be a reply from someone in the UK and Europe where the been on sale since 2017.

For a lot of maxi riders over this side of the Pond, the fact that it's chain driven puts them off, but there are posts about the X-ADV from owners on other UK forums. Then there's always riders from many different countries giving their views of the X-ADV on YouTube.

Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Honda X-ADV Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda X-ADV   Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2020 9:12 am

SWing was last imported into Canada in 2009. Integra, ADV and CTX ABS/DCT never imported (we do have the Africa Twin DCT though -- go figure).

Scooters of any size not a big thing here in the True North.
Back to top Go down
ramy gamal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ramy gamal

Honda X-ADV Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda X-ADV   Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2020 10:33 am

Thanks gentlemen for the fast reply hopefully someone will tell me about his experience with that scooter bike thing Smile
furthermore there is a bike similar to Integra from Honda is in USA witch is Honda MN4 700
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Honda X-ADV Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda X-ADV   Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2020 11:34 am

ramy gamal wrote:
... snipped ... furthermore there is a bike similar to Integra from Honda is in USA witch is Honda MN4 700

Only Batman and his associates are allowed to ride those! motorcycle Oddly enough, this model was imported into Canada. And there is a brand new 2017 still sitting on the dealer's floor on sale for CAD $12,000 a few klics from me.

Last edited by sonuvabug on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

Honda X-ADV Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda X-ADV   Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2020 12:17 pm

Ramy, I have ridden the MN4 and loved the ergonomic riding position, I like the styling. The only down side is the suspension is designed for paved roads. Not much shock travel.
Back to top Go down
ramy gamal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ramy gamal

Honda X-ADV Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda X-ADV   Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2020 9:52 am

i can see that HONDA is using DCT transmission nowadays which take me to a new question, is DCT transmission is the future after the CVT and the ECVT or it is not reliable like CVT transmission to take its place
Back to top Go down
Bcook01
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2015-11-05

Honda X-ADV Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda X-ADV   Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2020 2:27 pm

Dct is similar to an automobile automatic transmission. It has dual set of clutches and shifting pattern is a function of torque,rpm along with throttle position. No belts are in involved. All is controlled by a microprocessor or ECU. It has used in the gold wing for a number of years and has proven to be extremely reliable. this technology has filtered down to 700 cc class of bikes but due to weight and ecu dependancy it will be used only on road and higher end bikes and ATVs.. I had a chance to ride an African twin with dct and was blown away. There are lots of info on the internet that explains how it works. Why drive around using ww1 technology...... I almost bought an nm700 but they were not bringing the dct into Canada....bummer.
Bob
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1570
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Honda X-ADV Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda X-ADV   Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2020 6:31 am

Hi Ramy,

I test rode the X-ADV a couple of years ago and I was not very impressed.

The technology was useful (my SW is 2001 model) and the handling was quite good. Ergonomically I didn’t notice much change from the SW…….but……

…….My feet couldn’t touch the ground firmly and I am 6ft tall.
The gear change was very clunky, particularly when changing down.
The pillion seat was virtually non existent.
I’m not keen on the ‘shape’ particularly the lack of body work at the rear end.

Given the choice….??.....I’d stick with the SW.

That’s my two-bob’s worth

Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Honda X-ADV Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda X-ADV   Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2020 8:49 am

Bcook01 wrote:
... snipped ... I almost bought an nm700 but they were not bringing the dct into Canada....bummer. Bob

Well Bob, they most certainly brought the NM4 700 DCT into Canada and today is your lucky day. See link below.

https://www.kwhonda.com/inventory/2017-honda-nm4-waterloo-on-n2l-4c9-2503097i

Call Rob Davidson (Owner) at KW Honda and this 2017 Honda NM4 700 with DCT tranny can be yours for only $12,000. BTW - I have no affiliation with this dealer.
Back to top Go down
ramy gamal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ramy gamal

Honda X-ADV Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda X-ADV   Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2020 2:57 am

Bcook01

as you know there are many issues with DCT transmission related to cars that cause the DCT to be replaced with a new one with expensive price so my concern here,,,,,, is this could happen to Honda motorcycles that could affect on its reliability ?
as we all know that we like silver wing due to its reliability and its reliable CVT transmission unlike ECVT in burgman 650 that causing many issues with expensive cost to repair it and that's why i have a doubt on DCT transmission to be reliable like CVT
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4180
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Honda X-ADV Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda X-ADV   Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2020 3:50 am

There's a whole range of Honda motorcycles now using the DCT transmission including the Gold Wing. If there were major technical problems with it, Honda would be sending out recalls about it to owners and you'd certainly be reading about it on forums.

Another thing is riders who opted to take an Auto Only licence in the UK and were once restricted to twist n'go scooters or half a dozen expensive clutchless motorcycle can now ride the full range of Honda's with DCT without the hassle and expensive of retraining to get a licence to ride geared bikes. They also appeal to riders who physically have trouble using a clutch lever.

What car transmissions have to do with this it I've no idea. I had a Nissan Micra with full CVT back in the Nineties for years and it was trouble free. I've also had a Burgman 650 and I'd say there was more hysteria generated by a few well publicised and expensive transmission failures on Burgman and other maxi forums, more likely caused by ham fisted home servicing bodgers than any serious fault that the Burgman actually had.

I observed from my time on the Muppets forum that after a couple of years most owners were like me, they got rid of their Burgman 650 because they were bored with a big heavy lardass lump that was pain in the ass to clean, move around when the engine was cold, and required acres of Tupperware and the radiator drained and removed to do major servicing and a spark plug change.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Honda X-ADV Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda X-ADV   Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2020 9:01 am

There have been more than a few DCT problems in the car world and a good proportion of these are down to driver error, not selecting neutral when stopped with the engine running been a common one, which is why many car makers are going back to traditional torque converter auto boxes.
CVT problems in the car world again aren't unknown but it seems to be certain manufacturers have problems rather than anything specific to driving style. Most, if not all, modern car CVTs are really eCVT's similar to the 650 Burger rather than the collection of springs and weights the we know.
I've not heard of any problems with Honda's DCT so would not worry unduly about having one if it was in a bike I desired.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Honda X-ADV Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honda X-ADV   Honda X-ADV I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Honda X-ADV
Page 1 of 1