Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
Hello from North Dakota I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Hello from North Dakota I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Hello from North Dakota I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Hello from North Dakota I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Yesterday at 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Hello from North Dakota I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Hello from North Dakota I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Hello from North Dakota I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Hello from North Dakota I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Hello from North Dakota I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Hello from North Dakota I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello from North Dakota

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ndeagleye
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2020-10-03

Hello from North Dakota Empty
PostSubject: Hello from North Dakota   Hello from North Dakota I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2020 7:49 pm

Just became an owner of a 2007 Silver Wing with 3800 miles. A few minor scratches otherwise near showroom condition. I'm curious if there would be anything special to check on it based on its age. Had a Honda Reflex before this, whole new world!

Thanks,
Mike
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello from North Dakota   Hello from North Dakota I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2020 8:58 pm

Welcome from o-HI-o Mike. Tires, belt, anti freeze, brake fluid, oil / filter/ air filter for a start.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello from North Dakota   Hello from North Dakota I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2020 11:34 am

Welcome aboard the board Mike.  Reads like you bought yourself a really nice, low mileage scoot.

I'd bet most fluids and all the consumables (tires, filters etc.) on your scoot are 13 years "fresh" unless you were told otherwise or were given the service record to show otherwise.  As you know from your Reflex, it's not only the mileage that matters ... it's also "time and age" of the scoot.  

For instance, brake fluid is hygroscopic (moisture absorbing) and this affects their safe functioning if they've absorbed a lot of moisture. Also, check the DOT date stamp on your tires ... I'd bet they're original.  Check around the tread lines to see if there is spiderwebbing (thin, fine) cracks along the tread lines.  If severe ... this is not good.  If minor, well read below.

You see ... it's all about your risk tolerance and managing that risk.  People with low risk tolerance will advise to replace everything you can -- all fluids, filters, tires (if original), drive belt etc.  Others with high risk tolerance will say just fill it up with gas and go ride.  And then there are the middle grounders ... they'll check and measure things, replace what is obviously required and leave the rest alone.  It really depends on your personal risk tolerance and comfort level.

I bought my '09 last year with 3,044 miles on it.  It already had 3 documented oil changes (sheesh!).  That was it for maintenance as far as I could tell.  I checked, and measured as many of the fluids as I could. The coolant measured fine level and strength wise.  The drive belt looked and measured like new as did the air filter which I simply "blew out" and replaced.  I washed and retuned the final drive filter to its place.  I do not know of a brake fluid moisture check but I did ride it, uneventfully, for half of this season and will be changing the fluid out this Fall.

My brake pads looked thick and solid (I dismantled both front and back) to grease the axles and I observed no deterioration or flaking off with either wheel's pads.  My original tires (date stamped 2008) had some spider webbing along the treads.  The Dealer issued a "passed" Safety Inspection but said keep an eye on the tires.  I always do anyway.

After my riding the first 1,000 miles, I find it interesting the spider webbing seems to have all but disappeared.  I suspect the riding I've done has stirred up the oils in the tire's rubber compound and filled in the very fine cracks that were there from a lack of use.  Maybe?

Personally, I have an upper middle of the ground risk tolerances in that I want to know what I'm dealing with but I also won't replace good, inspected parts willy nilly just because they are old.  I  suspect that after a 1,000 miles riding this new-to-me scoot with no issues, I made the right call ... for me.
Back to top Go down
ndeagleye
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2020-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Hello from North Dakota   Hello from North Dakota I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2020 5:34 pm

Thank you for the tips. I will give it a head to toe inspection this week. It starts instantly even at 34*F. runs smooth and rides like a lounger with wheels. It will be stored in our backyard porch this winter which is kept around 40*F. Filled tank right after I bought it and just topped it off again getting 48.8 mpg around town. I will report any issues. Very pleased with the change. Please enjoy your week. Thanks

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from North Dakota   Hello from North Dakota I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from North Dakota
Page 1 of 1