Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Hello from BC Canada I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:09 am

» Drive belt prices
Hello from BC Canada I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Hello from BC Canada I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Hello from BC Canada I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Hello from BC Canada I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Hello from BC Canada I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Hello from BC Canada I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Hello from BC Canada I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Hello from BC Canada I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Hello from BC Canada I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello from BC Canada

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Qwazert
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2020-09-29

Hello from BC Canada Empty
PostSubject: Hello from BC Canada   Hello from BC Canada I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 9:43 am

Greetings.
Don't own one yet but plan to purchase one soon.  chickendance

In fact...I'm going to have a look at one this weekend and I'm looking for some advice when it comes to buying used.
What sort of things should I look for/look out for?
I've been riding dual sport for about 15 years already, so I know my way around a bike....but maxi's are something new to me.
Any guidance would be appreciated...
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello from BC Canada   Hello from BC Canada I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 12:11 pm

Welcome aboard the board Qwazert.

Ask the seller to provide the maintenance history documentation, this is your best source of information. I look for regular oil and oil filter changes. Depending on the mileage, the first drive belt change should have occurred at 25,600 km. There are also other maintenance between 19,200 and 25,000 km like brake fluid change, spark plug and air cleaner replacement that should have occurred If seller does not have this, you'll need to do a thorough inspection (and likely perform these maintenance routines at your expense).

I always ask that the seller NOT start the machine (I check the muffler to ensure it is cold) prior to my arrival so I can check things like cranking strength, any smoke or unusual smells coming from tailpipe on startup and idling smoothness. I look for drips, leaks, accumulation of grease etc. indicating something is leaking or weeping. I pull the dipstick, smell it (you don't want a burnt smell, and check it for colour. If dirty, thick black, indicates lack of regular maintenance.

Second, visual inspection of tire tread, wear pattern and DOT date stamp, brake pad material remaining and amount of corrosion around the disc and caliper parts.

Look for signs of falls at handle bar weight ends (scrapes), obvious scratches to the body panels, look deep under the two side rocker panels ... usually they'll tell a story if the bike's been down.

I start it up and watch how even the back wheel rotates. Obviously a test ride is ideal to check wheel balance, steering integrity, braking power, functioning of the drive train and suspension dampening performance.

Cosmetics ... well that's usually pretty self-evident.

In Ontario, seller's must provide a UVIP (Used Vehicle Information Package) which show existing liens, vehicle ownership history, any branding (i.e. salvage, rebuilt etc.). Maybe run a CarProof if a UVIP equivalent is not available in BC.

I'm sure other members will post up with their their buying inspection tips.

Good Luck and keep us posted as to what happens.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello from BC Canada   Hello from BC Canada I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 1:23 pm

Further to what BugJr ^^^ suggests, do be aware that there will be an odor from the exhaust on cold start because of the starter enrichment valve coming in to play as the engine is warming up. Also the rear wheel will quite probably rotate slowly (it can be stopped by touch) as the engine is at elevated rpms during warm up.

Normal warm idle is ~1200 rpm.  Centrifugal clutch will initially engage ~2200 rpm.
Back to top Go down
PeteP
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2020-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Hello from BC Canada   Hello from BC Canada I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 11:31 pm

Welcome Quazert,
I also am a new owner of a Swing having bought my 2007 this past August. I’d listen to what these guys tell you because they are the best. I did all the maintenance that I felt was needed like changed oil, coolant, new air filter, changed drive oil, new tires, and replaced the drive belt. Tires were old and decided not to take a chance with a 13 year old belt. My Swing had 6400 miles on it and runs like a sewing machine. The search function will be your best friend because they show how to do all the work and some great shortcuts. When you get yours you’ll love it.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Hello from BC Canada   Hello from BC Canada I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2020 8:06 am

All above are great tips! In addition, if possible, get a 2008 or newer model. There was a slight change in O2 sensor that gives the newer models better fuel economy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from BC Canada   Hello from BC Canada I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from BC Canada
Page 1 of 1