Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 11:44 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Topcase Rack

Go down 
+2
MikeO
TomO
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TomO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2020-09-12

Topcase Rack Empty
PostSubject: Topcase Rack   Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 9:21 pm

Hello, I am wanting to mount a GIVI Topbox on my 2005 Silverwing and wondered what rack to use? Not quite sure how to proceed with it. A GIVI SR19 or SR19M rack system? And what is the difference between the monokey system and the monolock system? Could I use the same GIVI top case for either rack system? I am new to installing racks and cases and I'm hoping to do the job with good results the first time. Thank you first for this forum and the great information here.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Topcase Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Topcase Rack   Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2020 3:49 am

Hello!

The Monokey and Monolock systems are distinguished by fittings, quality and price.

The Monokey boxes are heavier-duty and (possibly) more suited to larger maxiscooters and motorbikes.
They are more expensive but very long-lasting so worth the extra money.
The range includes larger-capacity boxes.

This is not to say the Monolock boxes are inferior - it's just they are lighter-weight and therefore comparatively flimsy.
They are cheaper.
As for longevity, I cannot say but I doubt they fall apart very quickly!

The two systems are NOT interchangeable - the racks are range-specific although the holes to mount them are the same.

Instructions for doing the deed are here on the forum and it's a piece of cake!

Incidentally, the systems are interchangeable with Shad boxes and, possibly, other makes. I can't say for certain but others will know.

I have had my present Monokey topbox for ten years; it's a now discontinued E52. If I ever wanted to replace it I should buy one of the bigger models. I know some members here have them.

HTH

Last edited by MikeO on Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2019-04-13

Topcase Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Topcase Rack   Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2020 7:31 am

I have a 46L Monolock, installation was a piece of cake. Purchased the back rest pad for it also. The wife loves it and so do I. Paul
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Topcase Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Topcase Rack   Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2020 8:29 am

I prefer the Givi Monolock set up and I've used it on four different maxi scooters. I'm using a Monolock plate now with a Givi E55 top box.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Topcase Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Topcase Rack   Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2020 8:35 am

I was in a bit of a daze this morning when I typed my post.

I have a monoKEY box - E52 - and have edited the post accordingly.
Back to top Go down
TomO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2020-09-12

Topcase Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Topcase Rack   Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2020 11:04 pm

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge about the GIVI mounting rack with me. This new information will help me make the decision about which rack to buy for mounting the GIVI top case. Now I just need to decide how much cargo space I'll need in the top case..
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Topcase Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Topcase Rack   Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2020 4:09 am

I'd recommended a large case like the Givi E55, since getting mine ten years ago my Givi E52 that also was a useful size has just sat on a shelf.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Topcase Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Topcase Rack   Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2020 4:10 am

In reply to your last statement, I'd buy the biggest or close to it.

Empty space weighs nothing so you haven't got to fill the box to the brim every time (as you know!).

I have made a partition for my E52 which ensures I leave enough space for my crash helmet whilst having a section for bits and pieces. Obviously, on occasions I utilize all the space for luggage or shopping.
I am aware we all have our different ways of using the box.

In addition, I found it useful, nay necessary, to buy mirror-extenders to see round the box. I'd have had to anyway now as I'm somewhat of a fat git. ;-)

Edit - In addition: Meldrew wrote his reply as I was writing mine. I guess we more-or-less agree: buy a big one!
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2017-05-30

Topcase Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Topcase Rack   Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2020 7:53 pm

Interesting, I was contemplating getting a shad sh39 box but am thinking maybe I should go a bit bigger? The last box I had on the RT was a 49 liter and it seemed huge, even on that bike.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Topcase Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Topcase Rack   Topcase Rack I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2020 12:55 am

I have one of the smaller GIVI boxes on my SW, approximately 20"W x 17"L x 15"D. These are pretty close as I can read with a tape rule.

I like the width being less than the bike's fairing's widest place. If the handle bars can make it through the rest of the bike and the box will pass through without a scrape.

Between the under seat area and this smallish Givi box I can carry nearly as much as I could on my Goldwing. I carry a rubber net under the seat of the bike with eight hooks spaced around it's periphery. That way I can carry a goodly bit on the back seat. Makes the bike very good for a bit of grocery shopping and such.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Topcase Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Topcase Rack   Topcase Rack I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Topcase Rack
Page 1 of 1