Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:58 am

» noise under load
Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Techron in my tank

Go down 
+5
Billy23
sonuvabug
cookkees
Dale N.
Meldrew
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Billy23
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2019-09-12

Techron in my tank Empty
PostSubject: Techron in my tank   Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 9:12 am

Hi
I haven’t bought it yet but, I thought I would ask the question, how much Techron would I put into the tank? I am guessing that it would not be the whole bottle Smile

Just noticed as I tried to order that it is concentrated, is that the one I need?

Or perhaps another brand/type?

Thank you for any help thumbs up
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Techron in my tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Techron in my tank   Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 10:35 am

Don't know about Techron although it has a good reputation. I use Seafoam and it works really well.

I think it states only an ounce or so per SWing fuel tank volume but I've put in a whole bottle to give the entire fuel system a thorough "hot" cleaning ... no adverse effects. Seafoam can also be used as a fuel stabilizer which I use for winter storage of all of my gas burning machines.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4180
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Techron in my tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Techron in my tank   Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 10:56 am

Hello mate, isn't Techron just another fuel system cleaner and additive like Redex that Brits have been using for years.

There used to be a lad on here called Old Limey who was a long time user and regularly added a shot of of Redex when he filled up. I bought a four pack of 90ml bottles with a view to adding half a bottle when I filled up, then Old Limey posted he'd stopped using it for some reason which is probably there somewhere in his posts. After that I decided not to use Redex in my Silver Wing,

As you haven't bought this Techron yet, why not buy and try a single 90ml bottle of Redex from Halfords or elsewhere first. It may be all you need and it'll be far less to buy than Techron. The only time I used a fuel injector fuel system cleaner was in a BMW K75 RT back in my biking days, and one small bottle was enough to dose two tanks full and it worked after I'd added to the first.

Of course on the other side of the Pond I bet someone recommends Seafoam, Gooner Kev imported a can using his Lottery winnings, he might now also be a convert. Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Techron in my tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Techron in my tank   Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 12:27 pm

I'm one on this side of the Pond who uses Seafoam. I don't use it in the SWing on any sort of regular basis but do add it to the last fill before I put it to bed for the winter. I use about 1/3 of a can, fill up the SWing to mix it up then take it for a shortish spin to circulate it. Then it goes nite nite for the winter unless we get that rare warm day with no snow on the roads.

I do however use Seafoam in my gas can for my snowblower and lawn mowers. It sometimes takes me 2 or 3 years to go through a six gallon can and the Seafoam keeps the gas good until it's used up. I've never had a problem with any of them starting right up and running good. I did have to replace my 30 year old Honda HS55 snowblower last winter. I guess the Seafoam finally killed it... LOL And I only had to change the belts on it once in those 30 years. Spark Plugs and oil on a normal basis tho. I guess that shows the quality of Honda products when taken care of.
Back to top Go down
cookkees
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2020-06-03

Techron in my tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Techron in my tank   Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 2:03 pm

Introduced to Seafoam when I acquired the scooter dealership.We put it in every scooter we sold and/or repaired.I regularly use Seafoam in everything I own, cars, scoots, mowers, weed wackers, et al.
WalMart has it at $6.97....cheap insurance. 1 ounce to the gallon.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Techron in my tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Techron in my tank   Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 2:07 pm

Meldrew wrote:
... snipped ... Of course on the other side of the Pond I bet someone recommends Seafoam, Gooner Kev imported a can using his Lottery winnings, he might now also be a convert. Smile

I take it Seafoam is not readily available in the UK and costs a small fortune to import it in. I didn't know this.
Back to top Go down
Billy23
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Techron in my tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Techron in my tank   Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 2:18 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Hello mate, isn't Techron just another fuel system cleaner and additive like Redex that Brits have been using for years.

There used to be a lad on here called Old Limey who was a long time user and regularly added a shot of of Redex when he filled up. I bought a four pack of 90ml bottles with a view to adding half a bottle when I filled up, then Old Limey posted he'd stopped using it for some reason which is probably there somewhere in his posts. After that I decided not to use Redex in my Silver Wing,

As you haven't bought this Techron yet, why not buy and try a single 90ml bottle of Redex from Halfords or elsewhere first. It may be all you need and it'll be far less to buy than Techron. The only time I used a fuel injector fuel system cleaner was in a BMW K75 RT back in my biking days, and one small bottle was enough to dose two tanks full and it worked after I'd added to the first.

Of course on the other side of the Pond I bet someone recommends Seafoam, Gooner Kev imported a can using his Lottery winnings, he might now also be a convert. Smile

Hi Meldrew

Yes good idea, I am only thinking of using it as my fuel gauge has stopped working, I think the previous owner stood the bike up for a long while and the sender has perhaps gunged up. I read on the forum some place that a dose of cleaner might “ un stick it” so I thought I would try it.

Off to Halfords tomorrow.

Thanks for your advice.
Bill
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Techron in my tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Techron in my tank   Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 2:56 pm

Billy23 wrote:

I am only thinking of using it as my fuel gauge has stopped working, I think the previous owner stood the bike up for a long while and the sender has perhaps gunged up. I read on the forum some place that a dose of cleaner might “ un stick it” so I thought I would try it.

You’ll probably need more than just “a dose”. 

Best suggestion is to use a full can with the next fill up. The longer you let the scoot rest before using that 1st treatment the better chance it will have to attack that varnish & gunk. Then 1/2 can in each of the next 4 fill ups.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Techron in my tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Techron in my tank   Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 9:05 pm

Important words on the bottle, up to. As Tim said put the entire contents in, at least the 1st time.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4180
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Techron in my tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Techron in my tank   Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2020 2:48 am

Techron recommends for motorcycles to tip the contents of the bottle in a near empty tank before filling up.

When I posted earlier Bill hadn’t mentioned that his fuel gauge had stopped working. These additives are more commonly used to clean fuel systems and fuel injectors.  Whether Techron, Redex, Seafoam etc, will also cure a fuel gauge fault I've no idea.

However I've dug out my FSM and looked at the Fuel Unit in the Lights/Meters/Switches section to see what it says about the fuel level indicator not indicating property.

It has two paragraphs, System Inspection, and Float Level Sensor Inspection. The System Inspection involves disconnecting the fuel unit connector and shorting terminals with a jumper wire to check. The Float Level Sensor Inspecton involves removing the fuel pump/unit and measuring resistance.

So maybe dosing a tank of fuel with any of these wonder additives in the hope of clearing this fault isn't the way to go. Here's hoping it does.  😷
Back to top Go down
Lenny
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2019-09-08

Techron in my tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Techron in my tank   Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2020 3:56 am

What might be worth a try with a low level of fuel is to vigorously move the bike from left to right which may release the float. Vigorously moving a Silverwing from left to right is another matter 😂
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Techron in my tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Techron in my tank   Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2020 6:40 am

Meldrew wrote:
Techron recommends for motorcycles to tip the contents of the bottle in a near empty tank before filling up.

When I posted earlier Bill hadn’t mentioned that his fuel gauge had stopped working. These additives are more commonly used to clean fuel systems and fuel injectors.  Whether Techron, Redex, Seafoam etc, will also cure a fuel gauge fault I've no idea.

However I've dug out my FSM and looked at the Fuel Unit in the Lights/Meters/Switches section to see what it says about the fuel level indicator not indicating property.

It has two paragraphs, System Inspection, and Float Level Sensor Inspection. The System Inspection involves disconnecting the fuel unit connector and shorting terminals with a jumper wire to check. The Float Level Sensor Inspecton involves removing the fuel pump/unit and measuring resistance.

So maybe dosing a tank of fuel with any of these wonder additives in the hope of clearing this fault isn't the way to go. Here's hoping it does.  😷

True it may not but it sure will help clean up the rest if it doesn't work Cool
Back to top Go down
Billy23
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Techron in my tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Techron in my tank   Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2020 4:17 pm

Thanks guys for the help on this. I agree that the “Cleaner” may not help my stuck fuel gauge but, getting the float out of the tank and changing it seems to be soooo much hassle, I thought I would give it a go.........and pray :-)

Haven’t had time up to now but tomorrow is the day.

Wish me luck Smile
Back to top Go down
Qwazert
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2020-09-29

Techron in my tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Techron in my tank   Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 10:46 am

For those who can't buy Seafoam where they live...there are several different "recipes" available on the web.
Unfortunately, because I am a NEW member...I can't post links yet. Google is your friend.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Techron in my tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Techron in my tank   Techron in my tank I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 1:31 pm

Here is a link to “recipes” for several of the more popular fuel tank additives. If you’ve found a DIY recipe for Techron please post.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Techron in my tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Techron in my tank   Techron in my tank I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Techron in my tank
Page 1 of 1