Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Drive belt prices
Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:12 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Newbie... again

Go down 
+2
honda_silver
JeffR
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Newbie... again Empty
PostSubject: Newbie... again   Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 9:42 pm

Hello everyone. I'm Ed Rentas, from Miami FL and I have a confession to make. I have an addiction to my Silver Wing. LOL. I say "newbie again" because I forgot my old user name and password so I ended up creating a new account. As I said I live in a concrete jungle, Miami, one of the cities with the worst and rudest drivers around (not my saying), but yet a wonderful place. I started riding about a year ago after I bought my fist bike ever, a 2004 Raspberry Candy Red Silverwing with 975 miles on it. Yes, 975, from someone who bought it and was scared to ride in Miami. I cannot lie to you, at first I was scared too. Within one month of buying it I dropped it on it's left side. Don't ask me why or how, it just happened. Three months after that, after I got over the left arm scrape and the scare I started riding again. One year later I'm as confident as I can safely be, riding whenever I can and enjoying every minute. So far, I have installed on the bike a Givi windshield, a pair of super white 2 1/2 in. driving lights, a GPS mount (thanks to DennisB), a 12v power socket (for the GPS and cell phone), and a LED superbright brake light bar. Also installed is a 20 in. Bestem Top Box with integrated brake light (very dim lights, which I upgraded by adapting brighter bulbs). This week I just replaced the original IRC tires (5,250 miles) after picking a screw on my rear tire and realizing that both tires had small cracking on them due to aging. I replaced them with pair of Pirelli Diablos and so far I'm happy with the feel they provide. I also changed the oil for the first time 1 week ago. Enough said, if anyone has any questions regarding my accessories please feel free to ask. Happy and safe riding to all.
Ed
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Newbie... again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie... again   Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 10:01 pm

Hey Ed,

Thanks for joining again. What tires did you get? I remember when I had a Majesty (they have the same size tires as the SWing) and it came with OEM Dunlaps, and when I changed them to the IRC they were great tires. But I hear the IRC's aren't that good on the SWing...must be the weight. Did you like the IRC's at all?
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

Newbie... again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie... again   Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 10:50 pm

Thanks JeffR. The tires I got are Pirelli Diablo. I'm told that they are very sticky, which may result in faster wear, but with a long and tough rainy season in So. Fla. I wanted to try them out. The IRC were the original ones and still had about another 3k miles left. Unfortunately they wore uneven, with the rear aspect of every grove getting cupped out (or in) about 1/8 " lower than the front aspect. The bike rode fine, with the exception of some tire noise as the wear incremented. I still don't know what cause the uneven wear on both tires.
I don't think I'll ever buy IRC's again.

Ed
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Newbie... again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie... again   Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:32 pm

Ed,

I'm on my 2nd set of Diablo's and I will probably change them in the next few months. I got 10,000 miles on my first set and will get the same, or maybe a few miles more, on this set. The front would probably last about 2,000-3,000 more but I always change them out together. Just keep your air pressure up and you should get the same.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Newbie... again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie... again   Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 12:11 am

EdRentas wrote:
Miami, one of the cities with the worst and rudest drivers around (not my saying)

I drove there a couple of times and I would have to agree. I have driven in lots of cities and this was the first time I did not feel safe on the interstate until I stayed in my lane and ignored the crazy drivers around me.
Back to top Go down
Ozarkred
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ozarkred

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Newbie... again Empty
PostSubject: Rubber side down   Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 6:25 am

This is to give you the other side of the coin, from an old man's perspective: Size does matter, Smaller is better! My rides are out of Seligman, Missouri. Your GPS thingy will find it between Gateway, Arkansas and the thriving metropolis of Washburn, Missouri, on highway 37.
I am in the Ozark Mountains, and there are no flat-lander rides within 30-40 miles. The largest community with 50 air miles of my place is Springfield, Missouri, and the nearest "big" place is Tulsa, Oklahoma, and that is neither a flat ride. But, you could put a few Tulsa's in Miami, at 450,00 people.
My point is that riding with the dangers of possums, deer, coons, and hay bales, I forget how much different city riders must feel as you guys fight the traffic.
I'm happy that you are an addict, further, it is my wish that you get the same relaxed feeling after fighting three million people for the right to "arrive alive".
rsd,
Ozarkred
Back to top Go down
http://glennscheer.wordpress.com

Newbie... again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie... again   Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 2:34 pm

Hello Ozark Red this is Chief Rider. Did you get the private message that I sent to you when you first signed on. Look to see if your PM is flashing at the top of the page.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Newbie... again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie... again   Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Hi Ed, visited Miami a couple of times. I never had to drive so I thought it was a great place. No rude people on the pavements.

Someone tried to mug my friend and I but we convinced him it was a bad career choice that day. (Pain is a remarkable tool).

Ride safe, upright is always best.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Newbie... again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie... again   Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:58 pm

Hi ED, I am experiencing your Miami traffic this week. I will be working here for a few days. Welcome to the forum, just a great bunch of guys and ladies plus fantistic info.
I drove out of Richmond, VA snow and washed the car on the way down to get rid of the salt and calcium. Won't have to worry about it here....Take care, Dick
Back to top Go down

Newbie... again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie... again   Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Hello again. I have not logged in in a while, sorry I was not able to reply to all comments. Regarding the Diablos, so far so good, I am happy with them. Regarding the Miami driving, having lived in Miami for the last 10 years prepared me for the challenging traffic we have here. Don't get me wrong not everyone is rude and crazy driving, but there are enough of them to be noticed when compared with other US cities.
Back to top Go down
gunmantom
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2023-08-11

Newbie... again Empty
PostSubject: GPS mount   Newbie... again I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 19, 2023 9:28 pm

Where can I find a GPS mount? My 2012 has no room on the handlebars as far as I can see? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Newbie... again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie... again   Newbie... again I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie... again
Page 1 of 1