Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 4:19 pm

» New to Me Swing
Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 3:47 am

» I said Farewell...
Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 8:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 10:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:28 pm

» Drive belt prices
Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:28 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Finally! Hello fellow owners.

Go down 
+7
MikeO
sc00ter
GHM-PM
Meldrew
Michel Vachon
Cosmic_Jumper
BroOKS2K9
11 posters
AuthorMessage
BroOKS2K9
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2020-06-13

Finally! Hello fellow owners.  Empty
PostSubject: Finally! Hello fellow owners.    Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2020 11:42 pm

This comes from "the member formerly known as Future SWinger?".

I last posted on May 23rd inquiring if anyone had "a problem with a 300 mile return ride home after purchase?" To my utter surprise, ALL replies were an overwhelming, "Go for it!" Well, we did.

I am now the owner of that 2009 WineBerry S'Wing.

Quick story: my family made the 5+ hour trip only to arrive with the (then) owner giving me the strangest of looks. He stated, "I wish you'd have been here 15 minutes ago. My son and I were pushing the scooter back into the garage when the bike got off balance, we lost control of the weight and the bike leaned into the corner post of the garage...breaking the windshield clean off."  You mean, I'd just driven all that way only to ride home the following day...with no windshield!! Argh!  Admittedly upset with his son, he was a great guy and "understood" the situation.  The $2000 firm price he was asking for (down from $3000 less than 30 days earlier), became a purchase price of $1500. The following morning, after checking tire pressures, I rode it home—301.6 miles from driveway-to-driveway. And, I was quite happy to not have the shield.  Temperatures were in the mid-upper 80's that day.  The constant airflow was wonderful!

To my surprise, the bike came equipped with a Givi V46 top box and a J&M Corp, JMCB-2003 Sport Touring Audio System installed.

Many thanks to you who replied to that original post. I don't think I would have trusted myself, nor the S'Wing, to make the effort to "go for it" had it not been for you.  You...chatted. I listened.  

BTW- The broken shield was a Givi 214DT; per my understanding, a well-liked shield by many a S'Wing owner.  Since so many out there are using a/the Givi shield, would anyone like to get rid of your original S'Wing shield for the cost of shipping?  I'm interested to try it as I'm...without a shield yet quite surprised how much I enjoy the bike without a shield at all.  At least the smaller, original shield (I assume) would let a bit more air in than the 214DT.

Looking forward to the replies.  Good day.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Finally! Hello fellow owners.    Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 1:22 am

Congratulations on your new SWing. Congratulations on the excellent price too.

Regarding the windshield, if you decide to purchase a new screen please consider the adjustable-height Givi AF214. That’d give you the option of completely removing the upper section of the screen and enjoying a bug-in-the-teeth ride. Or leaving the upper section attached and adjusting the height to suit your fancy.

The OEM windscreen has a less than stellar reputation. It looks good on the bike but you’ll likely suffer from whiplash with all the wind buffeting.

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Finally! Hello fellow owners.    Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 11:22 am

Good morning,

I am in the same opinion of Cosmic_Jumper for the windshield. I personaly own that Givi AF214 and I'm in love with it .... A little expensive here in Canada but it worth all penny. To hot; remove the front part  and in cold time use it and it do the job perfectly. No buffering  any more. That buffering is really annoying on long trip and you wont have any with the Givi... when place at the  good spot for your height.

By the way  I own the same SW and your deal is a good one for sure.

Enjoy
Michel
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Finally! Hello fellow owners.    Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 12:33 pm

I'm afraid I'm not in agreement with you about removing the top screen from the Airflow. Yes of course lower it in hot weather, but remove it and ride a long journey without it, absolutely not.

I've lost two of the top screens when out riding at high cruising speeds and had long rides home and the discomfort that goes with it, and it's been well documented in older posts on here.

Unless you really like increased wind noise to a level that I found uncomfortable even wearing custom fit ear plugs, your helmet, visor/ face shield, and riding gear covered in bug splat, and as the day cools down on you need to layer up from that awful wind blast.

The Airflow lower section on it's own simply channels turbulent cold air onto the riders body and helmet. I've mentioned it before and it's worth saying again, it's downright hearing damaging and uncomfortable.

The first time I lost a top screen I was over 100 miles from home and I'm unlikely to forget how uncomfortable it was. When I arrived home my ears were ringing, I was cold, and my riding suit and helmet were a mess of dead insect guts.

But hey I'm not your Mom, you do whatever you like. 😷
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Finally! Hello fellow owners.    Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 1:16 pm

I don't share everyone's hatred of the OEM shield. I had no problems with mine except it was a bit short for my 6'0" frame. Replaced it with a Cee Bailey which is great but sadly they no longer make them for motorcycles.

I do have the OEM shield and would part with it for shipping costs. HOWEVER the shield is at my Arizona house and I am in Nevada until July 9 or so, If you can wait let me know!

Regardless of what you decide, you DO need a shield.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Finally! Hello fellow owners.    Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 5:32 pm

I don't think anyone hates the bog standard Honda shield, it's just the same as the average bog standard screen on any maxi scooter. You know early on whether it's good or dud, I've looked at online sales ads for Silver Wings that were registered around 2001 onwards that have had at least 3 owners over the years and they're still sporting that OE screen.

Alternatively the previous owners could be like myself and others, changed the OE shield to an Airflow early on and put the OE shield back on when they sold it. I've still got a selection of maxi screens both OE and aftermarket taking up space in my shed.
Back to top Go down
BroOKS2K9
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Finally! Hello fellow owners.    Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 7:27 pm

GHM-PM wrote:

I do have the OEM shield and would part with it for shipping costs. HOWEVER the shield is at my Arizona house and I am in Nevada until July 9 or so, If you can wait let me know!

Sure. No problem.  Let me know when you're back.  We'll go from there.
Back to top Go down
BroOKS2K9
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Finally! Hello fellow owners.    Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2020 1:53 am

GHM-PM wrote:

GHM-PM, are you back yet? I would have PM'd but I don't have enough posts to allow me to do so.

This morning, I had to be somewhere ASAP. That meant being on the highway at 65+ mph.  The moment I was in the flow of traffic, I said to myself outloud, "Yep! You need to get a shield."
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Finally! Hello fellow owners.    Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2020 4:01 am

First off, welcome! My wife's Silverwing has a CeeBailey on it with the pass thru vent door. Light tint. She hates it because it catches her line of sight, she's short. I love it, works great for my height! She wants me to re-install the OEM windscreen. I've never ridden a Swing with the OEM screen.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Finally! Hello fellow owners.    Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2020 1:09 pm

BroOKS2K9 wrote:
GHM-PM wrote:

GHM-PM, are you back yet? I would have PM'd but I don't have enough posts to allow me to do so.

This morning, I had to be somewhere ASAP. That meant being on the highway at 65+ mph.  The moment I was in the flow of traffic, I said to myself outloud, "Yep! You need to get a shield."

Answered you via PM. Let me know if you don't get it!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Finally! Hello fellow owners.    Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2020 7:29 pm

An alternative which can be attached to the OEM screen is the Laminar Lip but you must get the 'ears' as well to get the best effect.
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Finally! Hello fellow owners.    Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2020 7:09 pm

I live in FL and need max airflow during the summer so I use stock. When traveling long distance love the GIVI 214DT no wind flap but solid great wind protection two up.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Finally! Hello fellow owners.    Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2020 4:38 am

The screen that came with my 08 is a Clearview XL. I think the XL stands for extra large, maybe. Anyway I'm only 5' 9" and it works good for me. If/when it ever breaks I'm going with the Givi screen.
Back to top Go down
smellybeard
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2020-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Finally! Hello fellow owners.    Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2020 11:06 pm

BroOKS2K9 wrote:
BTW- The broken shield was a Givi 214DT;.
I've just this evening replaced my tall fixed Givi with the two part AF214. I could only just see over the DT with a stretch and evening, night and wet weather riding was dangerous with the fine crazing that was beginning to appear. A quick test tonight shows that in the very first position I tried it in, it's good for occasional use at motorway speeds and perfect for normal road speeds - and I no longer bang my head off the screen having a good look as I go out the gate.

Have a look for an AF214, seriously.
Back to top Go down
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2020-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Finally! Hello fellow owners.    Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2020 8:42 am

Love seeing these smokin' deals that folks are gettin', LOL. Welcome here, and good luck on the screen swappin'. Vic
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally! Hello fellow owners.    Finally! Hello fellow owners.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally! Hello fellow owners.
Page 1 of 1