Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New owner of a Silver Wing!

Go down 
+7
Meldrew
bandito2
Michel Vachon
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
Dale N.
Omega Level Silver Surfer
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2020-05-23

New owner of a Silver Wing!  Empty
PostSubject: New owner of a Silver Wing!    New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 1:45 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Cole, I’m from MA, and I was lucky enough to find an 07’ Dark Metallic Silver Silver Wing with 15k on the motor!

First off, I am relatively new to the scooter world. I bought a Rough House 50 about a month ago, and while that thing is a blast for short trips, I was longing for something that could go longer distances without stressing the motor. So, of course I jumped straight to a 600cc!

I actually didn’t even know the SW existed until I saw a post for one that was slightly older with double the mileage for $3k. Mind was blown immediately when I saw the specs, and I’m a long time Honda fan, so it was a match made in heaven.

I was fortunate enough to find one in the color I liked for the same price at half the mileage, so I jumped on it. Having learned a little bit, it looks like the bike is due for its first major maintenance at 16k, (I’m right there @15.9k), so I’m going to bring her in to my local mechanic for a check up as my next step.

So, Silver Wing enthusiasts, I’m wondering: is there anything specific he should look at? How long does the belt last on average?I noticed the battery looked a bit loose/hanging out, and the ignition seems a bit busted, where the key won’t push in sometimes, or even pops the whole unit loose at times. The bike seems to ride fine to me, but it does “rumble” a bit on the low end, and I’m not sure if that’s vibration, or just me having never felt the power of a bigger bike engine? Ha!

The dealership I bought it from sold it to me “as is,” so I have no idea how well the bike was maintained/previous ownership etc., but it has new tires, and the body is in pretty great shape.

Also- for the collectors out there: I have a serious question! I have a chance to buy a 99’ Honda Helix, with 11k miles on it, and it’s in mint shape! I’ve heard that despite its fugly looks, it’s considered the GOAT of mid-sized maxi scooters, hence their cult following, but I also have the opportunity to buy a 13’ Kymco Downtown 300i, with 4k miles on it for the same price.

My desire for a mid-sized scooter comes from the two extremes in my scooter family: a tough little 50cc, and a beastly Honda 600. These two scooters are amazing for their own purposes, but the Silver Wing feels like a Cadillac/Harley/Cruiser to me, that’s built for serious long distance journeys, and the 50 is...you know, a “hair blower.”

So, I basically want to complete my collection with a 250/300cc to have an every day cruiser, and something that can keep up with the Silver Wing on rides with friends & family.

My question on the mid sized scooters: Do you guys have them in addition to your SW’s, or is the Honda your every day, do it all type of scooter? Is the Helix too much of a collectors item to use every day? Is anyone familiar with Kymco? I’ve heard good things, but the seller admitted do “dropping the bike at low speeds,” and has included two pictures showing scuffs on both the left and right side of the floorboard. I’m a little concerned because of the scarring on both sides, signaling multiple drops/accidents, but he says it runs fine, has been serviced, blah, blah blah...

Anyways, I’m wondering what your opinions are on the mid sized scooters? The Kymco has good power, and class-leading torque for its class, and is lighter than the Helix, but despite Kymco gaining industry trust, such as building motors for the BMW, I would think the Honda, even at its age, is probably a better motor in terms of reliability/longevity with proper maintenance.

I don’t know, maybe it’s a silly question, or even blasphemy to ask a Kymco vs Honda question on a Honda enthusiast site, but if you don’t want to chime in on the Downton 300i vs the Honda Helix, at least let me know if I’m crazy for wanting a third, mid-sized scooter for my collection.

Thank you so much for letting me join your dedicated community!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

PS: I have to decide in the Kymco/Helix by the end of the weekend, so if you have the time, please let me know what you think!

Thanks again,

Cole
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: New owner of a Silver Wing!    New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 2:34 pm

Welcome to the BEST SWing forum on the net Cole.

As far as the other scoots you are talking about I have no knowledge about them but the SWing is good for short or long runs. I have an 08 SWing that I had triked out a couple of years ago and have no regrets. I've also known people who have over 80K miles on their SWings and are still running great.

As far as maintenance goes, I'd change the belt and oil and filter. Get your battery tested to see if it's up to snuff. Not sure what you mean by the battery being loose. Is the battery cover on and screwed in? You could also try a shot of WD-40 in the ignition switch to see if that helps.

And if you want to do any of your own work on your SWing try the SEARCH box at the  top left of the page. Or pretty much like you did in your intro, ask questions. There's lots of people here with a whole lot more knowledge than I have that will help.

Again, WELCOME!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New owner of a Silver Wing!    New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 5:09 pm

I have 2019 Kymco 300i ABS---at 10,000 miles satisfied with it, heavy and it is really stretched 250. Helix at the right price fun---I had 4 new ones, 175,000 miles total, liked them. Today's price for good Helix should be about $1000 in my book.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: New owner of a Silver Wing!    New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 8:50 pm

Hello Cole. Welcome to the forum.

Not blasphemy to bring up Kymco here, but now that other beastly thing you mentioned ...

Helix’ are great scoots. The down side of the Helix besides age is that tiny 10” rear tire. IMHO you’ll probably be better served with the Kymco. As our Mr. Grinsel mentioned, he’s gone thru several Helix’ and a couple of Silverwings and is now enjoying a Kymco. That’s a lot of scooter miles.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: New owner of a Silver Wing!    New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 9:35 pm

Hi Omega,  

Welcome on the best SW site on the net...  You will find here people with knowledge and good friends. If I can help it will be a pleasure to.  
Mileage on a Silver Wing is something  I don't really  worry since I found this on the forum. https://www.silverwing600.com/t2457-2005-honda-silver-wing-life-expectancy  Last autom I bought a 2005 with over 77k kilometers on it and it run like charm. I sold it to a good friend.  

Now own 2 of year 2009. One for sale now with only 44K km on it. and keep the other one for me (less kilometers on it).  

Hope you'll enjoy as much as I do... been riding motorcycle since the age of 16 and now 63 planing to go to B.C. next summer... on my 2009 SW.  

If you ever get in my area your welcome home...
Michel
swing
Back to top Go down
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2020-05-23

PostSubject: Re: New owner of a Silver Wing!    New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 11:22 pm

Hey, thanks for replying everyone! I’m glad that people have chimed in on the Helix vs Kymco debate. I didn’t realize the Helix had a tiny rear wheel, and they actually want $1850 for it.

I figured the Kymco would be a sweet ride, but all the hype around the Helix made me want to take the plunge. Having said all that, my one concern with the Kymco is that he dropped it multiple times, “at low speeds.” I don’t know if that means he crashed into a curb, or what?

Ironically, my Rough House just fell over in the driveway when I foolishly left it on the kickstand, and a gust of wind knocked it on its left side, breaking the left brake lever, which is needed to start the bike up.

Having seen the damage that a very minor kickstand fall in a driveway could do to a 198lb bike, I’m a little nervous about buying the Kymco if it’s been in a few scuffles.

The Kymco guy wants a similar price: $1800 or so. Should I low-ball him? Do you all think it’s a fair price for a 13’ with 4k miles and scuffs on the floorboard, that’s been dropped while riding at low speeds?

Thank you so much!

Cole
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: New owner of a Silver Wing!    New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2020 1:50 am

Generally, I'd guess that some scratched, but not severely cracked or broken off parts would
indicate low speed incidents. Which would mean mostly that the damage is just cosmetic and
not a problem functionally. I don't mind having bikes with that "regularly ridden" look, but YMMV.
More important is how it is mechanically and how well the mechanical parts appear to have been
maintained.

I have owned both the Honda (244cc) Helix and (249cc) Reflex. The Helix has about the most
comfortable seat of any bike I have ever owned, but lacks the power to sustain freeway speed.
The Reflex is only a little better in that regard. Both are a little dated and use a carburetor. The
Reflex uses a 13" wheel up front and 12" at the rear and has disc brakes. (one of mine even has
ABS brakes)

I don't know jack about Kymco scooters to be able to say anything about them one way or another.
That being said, most any 250cc class scooter would need to be in pretty good shape and/or with
low mileage or relatively new to command prices above $1500 IMO.

Good luck with your hunt for a (mid range 250cc class) scooter.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: New owner of a Silver Wing!    New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2020 4:06 am

I don't agree with the comment that the Helix can't sustain freeway speeds, I obviously haven't ridden one in the USA, but had years on touring on mine using UK and European motorways with similar speed limits to your freeways.

My experience was at speeds over 70 mph the Helix just wasn’t fuel efficient and both consumption and tank range suffered. In contrast, running at 65 mph the Helix was a lot happier and would regularly return 85 mpg (Imp). I still have the fuel records I meticulously kept for the Helix from 1996 to 2004.

So it was just a matter of finding your spot in an inner lane, cruising at 60-65 mph and you could clock up the miles very easily.

I found the Helix started to run out of steam on long steep hills, pushing through the turbulence bow wave of trucks, and could be quite scary to ride in crosswinds. Otherwise it was comfortable, quirky, fun to ride. and the Helix fully deserves it's cult status and affection owners have for them

However my helmet doesn't have a rose tinted visor, it's 2020 and the current generation of 250cc and 300cc maxi scooters are so much better all round.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New owner of a Silver Wing!    New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2020 5:37 am

It is not the size of the Helix rear wheel----look at the speed rating of the rear tire---J---which means for a bike that can go with tail wind/down hill at least 70 mph---- you are over the speed rating of the tire! I had one rear tire failure ---came apart---after high speed run on freeway in Japan. Bridgestone.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: New owner of a Silver Wing!    New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2020 8:30 am

First, welcome aboard this board Cole.  

If you are handy, can use basic hand tools and can read, then these Honda Silverwings are a pretty easy machine to do your own maintenance work on.  

If you check out the For Sale Forum, I believe it's Delray who is selling a Factory Service Manual (FSM) for a decent price.  I'd grab a FSM for starters as it's worth it's weight in gold just to understand what is what on your scoot.

Also, you can take the FSM in to the dealer and leave it with your machine while they are servicing it.  Unless they are a Honda dealer, there will be lots about the scooter they likely don't know procedural wise (i.e. how to remove the tupperware without breaking all of the tabs etc.)
Back to top Go down
dencart2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dencart2

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2016-05-19

PostSubject: Welcome Cole to the SWing family. You are gonna love it.   New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2020 9:04 am

We can always use a little extra "Cole" in the bin. (see what I did there......nevermind)

I am 70 in December of this year and never rode a two wheeler in my life. Then retirement came, so what did I do? You guessed it. I bought a 2009 SWing with 15K on it as a retirement gift to myself. I took two state approved safety classes and have never looked back.

My SWing has 45K on it now and has seen a lot of the curvy roads in the mid-west to southeast. Including TTOTD in east Tennessee as well as the little tail in east Ohio.

You sound like you gonna have scooter heaven there in MA. I hope to trip up that way during this summer on my great NE Presidential Museum swing to the Kennedy, Roosevelt, and Ford.

Stay off of gravel except when going straight up and slow.

Welcome.
den
Back to top Go down
http://denniscarter.net/Trips
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: New owner of a Silver Wing!    New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2020 11:31 am

Welcome Cole to the right site with your new wing there isn't much of anywhere you can't ride it. We in the H.H are lucky to have some fine riding too, come on down.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2019-10-22

PostSubject: Re: New owner of a Silver Wing!    New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2020 7:43 pm

Cole, welcome to the site. A Silverwing could work great in most places. My suggestion since you asked (previously), ride more and you will know more what kind of bike you might want. Lighter bikes are quite fun. Kymco makes a fine product but make sure it fits you. I owned a Like 150 and it was excellent anywhere under 60mph which is all it would do with me on it (275#).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New owner of a Silver Wing!    New owner of a Silver Wing!  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New owner of a Silver Wing!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: