Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:09 am

» Drive belt prices
Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Below voltage specifications

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Below voltage specifications Empty
PostSubject: Below voltage specifications   Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 8:08 pm

After I took my daughter to school, then I stopped at the gas station to fill-up. After filling-up the SWing would not start and then had no more battery power (the seat light was switched off).

The good news is that I had my battery tender under my seat ... so I plugged in at the station for a few minutes. I was then able to start the SWing, so I canceled the roadside assistance.

I drove the SWing home and kept the battery on the battery tender for a couple days. I took the battery to the auto-parts store to test the battery ... the battery load test was good.

I finally got a chance today to take it to the Honda dealer. They did a quick check and found the voltage was below Honda specification, they said it could be either the stator or rectifier ... which will be covered by my extended warranty. Tomorrow they said they would be able to determine which need to be replaced. They said that it was a good thing that I identified this problem quickly or both the stator and rectifier would have needed to be replaced.

I was trying to get an idea when the parts may be available, he said it may be another week once they identify the parts because he said that Honda has greatly slowed down the delivery of the parts ... which I thought was interesting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Below voltage specifications   Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 5:38 pm

Dear Honda-silver, How many miles do you have on your SW? I have an 08 and was reading about your voltage problem, Thanks,fmiller805
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Below voltage specifications   Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 9:34 pm

fmiller805 wrote:
How many miles do you have on your SW? I have an 08 and was reading about your voltage problem

~41K miles

The Battery Tender was the key that helped me to confirm the problem. Under normal situations the Battery Tender would turn from from red to green light in 15-30 seconds. After my problem at the gas station ... it took much much longer for the Battery Tender to turn solid green. That was the proof that I need to believe that there was a problem.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Below voltage specifications   Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 9:43 pm

First of all Honda hasn't slowed down on their parts delivery. I've just ordered some very unusual parts thru Service Honda and they arrived here in less than one week. Service Honda does not stock any parts, but gets them from Honda then repackages your order to ship direct to you.

Secondly, checking the stator is a simple matter of checking the ohm readings at the alternator 3P wire plug located behind the right side passenger footpeg. If all three wires check OK, then you've got a problem with the rectifier. It's a 15 min job. See Chapter 18 (18-Cool in the book. You do have the book, don't you?

Methinks your dealer may have his head up there where the sun don't shine.

Tim
'03 Silverwing, Cosmic Jumper
Philadelphia
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Below voltage specifications   Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 12:41 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
First of all Honda hasn't slowed down on their parts delivery. I've just ordered some very unusual parts thru Service Honda and they arrived here in less than one week. Service Honda does not stock any parts, but gets them from Honda then repackages your order to ship direct to you.

Honda service would tend to order more part then you or me. He said the parts used to come in a day or two after they ordered them before ... now they are taking a week.

It would not be too hard to image that either Honda or Honda dealer might be trying to save money by reducing shipping costs ... would it?? How do you save shipping costs ... reduce the number of shipments and get more in shipment.

He said the part will be ordered on Tuesday ... so we will see how long it takes.

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Secondly, checking the stator is
a simple matter of checking the ohm readings at the alternator 3P wire
plug located behind the right side passenger footpeg. If all three
wires check OK, then you've got a problem with the rectifier. It's a 15
min job. See Chapter 18 (18-Cool in the book. You do have the book, don't you?

I have the Service Manual, but I have something even better an Extended Warranty ... and I saved 15 minutes. Below voltage specifications Icon_lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Below voltage specifications   Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 3:24 pm

Look for online parts suppliers. You'll have better luck finding the part in stock, and it'll be cheaper.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Below voltage specifications   Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 6:51 pm

honda_silver wrote:
He said the part will be ordered on Tuesday ... so we will see how long it takes.

I called today to see what parts were ordered and estimated delivery. He told me they had already ordered the stator on Friday ... and it should ship either today or tomorrow. So the part did not ship until 3-4 business days (not including Saturday).

Right now the rectifier was within specs, but he said that after they have the new stator in they will retest the rectifier.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Below voltage specifications   Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 6:15 pm

The part came in Friday a week after ordering.

The Swing was ready Friday, but atlas I could not pick it up till Saturday. The service counter said the Honda Extended Warranty paid for itself ... he said the normal cost of the repair would have been around $600.00.
Back to top Go down
MOWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MOWing

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Below voltage specifications   Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 1:11 am

$600 bucks, Ouch!

OEM Honda stator from bikebandit.com is $217.
Stator can be changed out in less than 1.5 hours.
Tube of Yamabond sealer $5.00 to seal case

Maby an hour troubleshooting, less if you use the troubleshooting chart in the service manual.

$400 is probably a more reasonable retail repair.

I have had that side cover off to reseal the stator wire to the case. I get by pretty cheap by doing my own work. Or having warranty.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Below voltage specifications   Below voltage specifications I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Below voltage specifications
Page 1 of 1